Can adults order off children’s menu?

Salf777

Mouseketeer
Hi all going to Le Cellier with another couple we will be traveling with as they really want to eat there. My wife has some specific dietary restrictions and the only thing she saw on the menu she can eat is salmon that’s on the children’s menu. My wife wants to be a trooper and go since our friends want to eat there really bad will they allow her to order off the children’s menu?
she only eats fish (no shellfish) and chicken and can’t have anything with added salt so the Seared salmon is actually perfect for her
Thanks

Honestly, it depends upon the server. Usually they're good about letting me do so. The adult portions are HUGE for me.

We ate there last night and I was with a friend who has a lot of food allergies. The chef came out and talked to us before we ordered to share what would work for her. ALSO, she and her hubby split a meal and they happily brought out a 2nd plate.

We ate there last night and I was with a friend who has a lot of food allergies. The chef came out and talked to us before we ordered to share what would work for her. ALSO, she and her hubby split a meal and they happily brought out a 2nd plate.

My DH and DM have food allergies so they tend to share a meal whether it is steak with potatoes and veggies or something else and usually it is split already on 2 plates when brought out. Sometimes they have asked for the child size portion and have never experienced an issue. Just to let you know my DM has an intolerance to salt she can only have 500 mg a day and she can pretty much eat at any TS restaurant including buffets. We found out they all have some type of steak, chicken, or fish that is not marinated in anything and they cook it with no salt cooking spray so wanted to give you that info so she has other options if does not want fish or chicken all of the time there. Also, Tutto Italia can make pasta in no salt water with different types of plain sauces if you want Italian. At buffets for breakfast or dinner they usually make things in the back and are walked around to show what they can have from the buffet. We always note on the ADR and a chef comes. They have been fantastic.

Hi all going to Le Cellier with another couple we will be traveling with as they really want to eat there. My wife has some specific dietary restrictions and the only thing she saw on the menu she can eat is salmon that’s on the children’s menu. My wife wants to be a trooper and go since our friends want to eat there really bad will they allow her to order off the children’s menu?
she only eats fish (no shellfish) and chicken and can’t have anything with added salt so the Seared salmon is actually perfect for her
Thanks

Yes, we have never had a problem with it.
It might be different with the dining plan?
We don't do the dining plan and pay cash for our meals, so we can eat what we want without anyone saying anything. It's our money. I am a senior and I don't eat that much anymore, so I always get a childs meal and have never had a problem. They wouldn't have this "problem" if they offered a small version of their meals. I hope this helps.

My DH and DM have food allergies so they tend to share a meal whether it is steak with potatoes and veggies or something else and usually it is split already on 2 plates when brought out. Sometimes they have asked for the child size portion and have never experienced an issue. Just to let you know my DM has an intolerance to salt she can only have 500 mg a day and she can pretty much eat at any TS restaurant including buffets. We found out they all have some type of steak, chicken, or fish that is not marinated in anything and they cook it with no salt cooking spray so wanted to give you that info so she has other options if does not want fish or chicken all of the time there. Also, Tutto Italia can make pasta in no salt water with different types of plain sauces if you want Italian. At buffets for breakfast or dinner they usually make things in the back and are walked around to show what they can have from the buffet. We always note on the ADR and a chef comes. They have been fantastic.
Wow it’s so weird my wife has a similar issue and can also only have 500mg sodium. To make things harder she only eats chicKen, fish, or pasta no red meat. Thus the question cause at Le Cellier the only real fish is the salmon on the kids menu. All your info is so helpful I would have expected buffet food to have no salt that’s why we have always avoided any buffets which I love eating at simply because we figured all the chicken and fish would be drowned in salt. as far as the Italian that’s awesome to know, local restaurants near our home will boil pasta without salt but I never imagined a place as busy as Tutto Italia would take the time to do this.
Any other suggestions appreciated as we have never run into anyone else who has to stay below 500mg of sodium/salt.
we have all our reservations and I didn’t see any option for a “no salt” diet (that’s how she asks because low salt can even be very high). Can I go back and add that to the reservation?

also one last question if you dont mind as I am a little behind on the board lingo, what does “DH” and DM” stand for?

thanks for all your help

Wow it’s so weird my wife has a similar issue and can also only have 500mg sodium. To make things harder she only eats chicKen, fish, or pasta no red meat. Thus the question cause at Le Cellier the only real fish is the salmon on the kids menu. All your info is so helpful I would have expected buffet food to have no salt that’s why we have always avoided any buffets which I love eating at simply because we figured all the chicken and fish would be drowned in salt. as far as the Italian that’s awesome to know, local restaurants near our home will boil pasta without salt but I never imagined a place as busy as Tutto Italia would take the time to do this.
Any other suggestions appreciated as we have never run into anyone else who has to stay below 500mg of sodium/salt.
we have all our reservations and I didn’t see any option for a “no salt” diet (that’s how she asks because low salt can even be very high). Can I go back and add that to the reservation?

also one last question if you dont mind as I am a little behind on the board lingo, what does “DH” and DM” stand for?

thanks for all your help

Please feel free to ask any questions you have am happy to help. We don’t do the dining plan I forgot to mention that. When you make the ADR there is no option for low salt have to use other. DH is dear husband and DM is dear mom. I don’t know if you can change the ADR to add it or if you have to call and have a cast member do that. My husband is allergic to dairy there is an option for that and he also can’t have anything spicy like black pepper so we select other for that and my mother’s salt issue. Not sure if you are aware but certain fruits and veggies are high in salt she has to be careful. When it is on your ADR when you check in they will stamp the ticket with allergy in red. Then the server notices asks some questions and gets a chef. Most times the chef comes to check and make sure everything was ok and if they need anything else. We can’t eat at too many places where we live a lot of stuff is pre-made. They eat better at Disney than they do normally. We have even been to the dinner shows Spirit of Aloha and Hoop de Doo Review they can even accommodate allergies. I don’t remember how many mg but Mickey Bars were low in salt mom had one just about every day. At the buffets for breakfast they were able to make fresh eggs using no salt cooking spray and either some type of potato or French fries in the back for both of them. Some buffets have fruit combined and other times each kind is separate so if together she tells what she can have and they put that on her plate as well but if not together she gets it herself and a piece of toast. My DH can have any fruit he likes so that is not an issue for him. For dinner buffets they made some type of non marinated meat with no salt cooking spray and some type of potato or fries and steamed veggies In the back. They can usually get salad from the buffet.

Last edited:
In case you need recommendations of where we have eaten that were great with allergies here is our list:

Breakfasts - Whispering Canyon Cafe at WL, Trail’s End Buffet at FW, Cape May at BC, Boma at AKL, Crystal Palace at MK, and Tusker House at AK. Last trip we stayed at POR and the food court was great the few days we ate there. You go up to one of the counters and tell them you have an allergy and they can make things in the back.

Lunches - Liberty Tree Tavern (that was when they had the a la carte menu), Coral Reef, Tutto Italia, Hollywood Brown Derby, and Rainforest Cafe at AK.

Dinners - Tony’s, Be Our Guest, Le Cellier, Chefs de France, 50’s Prime Time Cafe, and Boma. Also, The Edison at Disney Springs. Dinner shows SOA and HDDR.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have am happy to help. We don’t do the dining plan I forgot to mention that. When you make the ADR there is no option for low salt have to use other. DH is dear husband and DM is dear mom. I don’t know if you can change the ADR to add it or if you have to call and have a cast member do that. My husband is allergic to dairy there is an option for that and he also can’t have anything spicy like black pepper so we select other for that and my mother’s salt issue. Not sure if you are aware but certain fruits and veggies are high in salt she has to be careful. When it is on your ADR when you check in they will stamp the ticket with allergy in red. Then the server notices asks some questions and gets a chef. Most times the chef comes to check and make sure everything was ok and if they need anything else. We can’t eat at too many places where we live a lot of stuff is pre-made. They eat better at Disney than they do normally. We have even been to the dinner shows Spirit of Aloha and Hoop de Doo Review they can even accommodate allergies.

thanks she is very aware of what has salt and where we live have many options. My wife has menieres disease and the excess salt makes her situation worse. I have heard Disney is accommodative but wasn’t sure to what extent. We aren’t using a dining plan so that’s not an issue this is so helpful so many restaurants I have been wanting to try but looked at the menus and figured there was no way she could find anything. Especially in Sanna or Jiko which we have been wanting. Also we figured any pre prepared meal would be loaded with salt (buffets or character dining).have you tried any character dining? Are they accommodating there as well?

Mom developed this salt intolerance about 5 or 6 years ago. She noticed her arms and legs were swelling and turning beet red and her doctor determined she developed an issue with salt. Until she researched she had no clue she had to stay away from some fruits and veggies. I added some things to one of my posts to give some extra info I forgot. We don’t try anything too exotic just the places I listed in another post. We have only done character buffet breakfasts at Tusker House, Cape May, Crystal Palace, and Chef Mickey’s but do not go to the latter very often so did not include it. We love the breakfast buffet at Boma but it is not character. Pretty much at all of these they prepared eggs and potatoes with no salt cooking spray in the back. Unless all the fruit is combined mom could go up to the buffet and get herself but if all together she tells what she can have and it gets included on the plate. My husband is not limited by fruit so he can get it himself. They can make waffles in the back for him so sometimes he gets that instead of the eggs. Boma is our favorite dinner buffet.

thanks she is very aware of what has salt and where we live have many options. My wife has menieres disease and the excess salt makes her situation worse. I have heard Disney is accommodative but wasn’t sure to what extent. We aren’t using a dining plan so that’s not an issue this is so helpful so many restaurants I have been wanting to try but looked at the menus and figured there was no way she could find anything. Especially in Sanna or Jiko which we have been wanting. Also we figured any pre prepared meal would be loaded with salt (buffets or character dining).have you tried any character dining? Are they accommodating there as well?
In 2019, we did character dining at the Grand Floridian and I couldn't have any dairy or soy (other than soybean oil and soy lecithin). Someone came out and talked to us about it, I ended up with a list of what I could have, and they even made me some alternate items and brought them to our table. Super impressed with how most of Disney handled food intolerances. (The one exception was Earl of Sandwich in DS...they were pretty clueless.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter