Can anyone recommend a decent 35mm camera?

Kim&Chris

DIS Veteran
I know this probably isn't the correct forum so I apologize in advance.

I just bought a Canon 35mm camera from WalMart. It was very inexpensive....around $55.00.

I have used it twice and I hate it :mad: Here's the deal...when I press the button to take a picture, it hesitates about a second, then takes the picture. By that time, a baby's smile, or a magical moment, can disappear forever.

I want a camera to take the picture at the exact time that I press the button, similar to the disposable cameras available at any discount store.

Can anyone recommend a camera? I'm not really able to spend more than about $100-$125 on it.

Thanks!!

Originally posted by Kim&Chris
I know this probably isn't the correct forum so I apologize in advance.

I just bought a Canon 35mm camera from WalMart. It was very inexpensive....around $55.00.

I have used it twice and I hate it :mad: Here's the deal...when I press the button to take a picture, it hesitates about a second, then takes the picture. By that time, a baby's smile, or a magical moment, can disappear forever.

I want a camera to take the picture at the exact time that I press the button, similar to the disposable cameras available at any discount store.

Can anyone recommend a camera? I'm not really able to spend more than about $100-$125 on it.

Thanks!!

Yep, I love my Nikon one touch 120. Try ebay, they have them there all the time. It will hesitate if you are using red eye reduction, however, if you remove that function, it works immediately. Trying to get that great shot of children is sometimes a real adventure.

I did a lot of research before buying a new camera last spring. I bought the Olympus Stylus Epic (no zoom - they offer all kinds of zooms.) It was a little hard to find, because everyone wants zoom and I didn't. I feel you give up lens quality with the zoom cameras. Anyway this one was very highly rate on a photography website and touted as one of the quick point and shoots that professional photographers take with them for fun.

It was about 119.00 or so. I shot about 12 rolls in Europe and I bet you'd have to pay me to lug my huge Nikon on vacation after this. The Olympus pics are just as good. If there was any delay, it didn't bother me.

Just wondering if you are using red-eye reduction flash with your current camera? That always causes a delay.

I've tried both modes (red eye reduction & regular). The red eye reduction mode does have quite a delay, but the regular mode has a delay as well. Very frustrating.

Thanks for the opinions!

I had a Canon Sureshot 70-80 zoom that was great until I dropped it at Busch Gardens. It was the number one Consumer Reports camera, for a lower priced camera. ($100-120 I think)

Now I paid more for a Minolta Freedom Zoom 160, does great close-ups and zooms. ($179 from Wolfcamera, no tax no shipping, free leather rolling backpack and film developing offer )

Good Luck
Vivienne

Canon Rebel GII

You may be looking for something smaller, but this is an awesome camera at an awesome price. ($250 and under with a 28-80mm lens) It really is not that big to begin with, just not a pocket camera.

Check out this article.

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=657&page_number=3&preview=

Awesome picture quality, easy controls. Can be set in auto mode or you can have manual control. You have the ability to change lens with this camera if desired. No shutter lag here!

I love my Olympus Stylus! It has a zoom and it's wonderful. I've had this camera for several years and it is the camera I use 90% of the time. I have a newer camera (Minolota) that does panoramic, etc.; but I hardly ever use it. I get the best pics using my Olympus.

Originally posted by disnaholic
Canon Rebel GII

You may be looking for something smaller, but this is an awesome camera at an awesome price. ($250 and under with a 28-80mm lens) It really is not that big to begin with, just not a pocket camera.

Check out this article.

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=657&page_number=3&preview=

Awesome picture quality, easy controls. Can be set in auto mode or you can have manual control. You have the ability to change lens with this camera if desired. No shutter lag here!

The Rebel models are great, but, not exactly point and shoot. The pictures are wonderful from this camera, especially with Fuji film.

Originally posted by SamSam
I love my Olympus Stylus! It has a zoom and it's wonderful. I've had this camera for several years and it is the camera I use 90% of the time. I have a newer camera (Minolota) that does panoramic, etc.; but I hardly ever use it. I get the best pics using my Olympus.

I used to sell a many of these cameras, they are very very nice, and do produce very nice pictures.

To the OP,
Just a quick thought, have you changed the batteries in this camera? You might want to try that first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter