Can You Help A Newbie for the 2025 WDW 5K....

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
Help! Please :)

For most of you this is probably very silly sounding but...

For starters, My DD will be 14 in January 2025 and I am mid 40's (not that I feel my own age is relevant, just tossing it out there). I've always LOVED walking for exercise, but recently started really enjoying the Couch to 5K workout and improving each week with that.

My DD had track tryouts this past weekend and was cut from the team. She is devastated. I told her perhaps we could both train and make a girls trip to WDW for the 5K race in January. This would be a great motivator for us both to stay in shape and I also think as a fun mother/daughter trip.

We love WDW, but I'm a complete newbie to race weekend. First off, can teens participate (aka, any age restrictions?) Does the 5K have a super high demand (do I need to be on my computer pronto at sign up?) I've googled around some but I'm either asking my questions incorrectly or I'm just not finding what I was looking for.

If anyone has any helpful information I would truly appreciate it!

Hi Melissa!

I think that would be the perfect girls' trip, especially after a sucky thing like getting cut from a team, I have been before, and I know it's not the greatest feeling! For the 5K, all participants need to be 5 years or older on race day so your DD definitely makes the cutoff. (For extra insight, for the 10K they need to be 10 years or older if you want to look into doing more than one race or a longer distance)

As for popularity, the 5K during marathon weekend is super popular and has always been the first one to sell out for the past three years. You would definitely need to be on top of registration. For reference, the last registration sold out in 47 min, and the year prior 24 min. There is a thread that keeps track of historical sell-out times: https://www.disboards.com/threads/historical-race-weekend-sell-out-timing.3844193/

Be careful though, because you will become a runDisney addict and won't be able to stop registering for future races! 🤣

giphy.gif

Help! Please :)

For most of you this is probably very silly sounding but...

For starters, My DD will be 14 in January 2025 and I am mid 40's (not that I feel my own age is relevant, just tossing it out there). I've always LOVED walking for exercise, but recently started really enjoying the Couch to 5K workout and improving each week with that.

My DD had track tryouts this past weekend and was cut from the team. She is devastated. I told her perhaps we could both train and make a girls trip to WDW for the 5K race in January. This would be a great motivator for us both to stay in shape and I also think as a fun mother/daughter trip.

We love WDW, but I'm a complete newbie to race weekend. First off, can teens participate (aka, any age restrictions?) Does the 5K have a super high demand (do I need to be on my computer pronto at sign up?) I've googled around some but I'm either asking my questions incorrectly or I'm just not finding what I was looking for.

If anyone has any helpful information I would truly appreciate it!
Definitely do the 5k with the DD and encourage her to try out again. If I am not mistaken, one of the players in the Super Bowl last month was noted for getting cut from his high school team, so prove coach wrong for next year. And do they have a cross-country team? Maybe try out for that as well.
I put reminders in my work computer and my phone so that I am on point and clicking on the application buttons literally when the clock ticks over on registration morning. Do that and you have a decent chance of getting in.
Absolutely do the couch to 5K training plans, and if you think you will be up to it by then, do the 10K as well.
I also recommend staying on property for your visit, and spending the money for a photo pass for all the pictures that you want to take during the race and in the parks. And start budgeting for all the races here that you were going to want to do after you do your first rD race. And welcome to AORD (adult onset running disorder. Also the noise that many of us make when trying to get up the next morning after a race….)
And most of all, enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter