• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can you pay for resort hotels in installments?

Pluto468

DIS Veteran
Ok, I'm not even supposed to be planning my next trip yet, but...

If I book the Grand Californian for next year, can I pay in installments? Or do I just need to pay when I arrive?

Thanks!

Last edited:

If I book the Grand Californian for next year, can I pay in installments? Or do I just need to pay when I arrive?

Thanks!
Yes! That's what I do. The first payment is for 1 night, and you can pay it any way you like after that.

Thanks!
Yes you can call and do a credit card payment. You can do credit card payment online. You can also ask for a mailing address to mail a check in. The Walt Disney Travel Company allows for mail in payments.

Yes! That's what I do. The first payment is for 1 night, and you can pay it any way you like after that.
That's great! I usually pay all at once, but paying off a little at a time would be way better. I'm assuming if the trip is cancelled you get your money back..?

You can also call and make payments with gift cards too (not an option online). For canceled stays (within terms - 5 days I believe for hotel only, not package), full refund to form of payment. (I pay with gift cards, so they are great about reminding you to keep that gc as any refund goes back to it).

You can also call and make payments with gift cards too (not an option online). For canceled stays (within terms - 5 days I believe for hotel only, not package), full refund to form of payment. (I pay with gift cards, so they are great about reminding you to keep that gc as any refund goes back to it).
Thanks, good to know. I always mean to save up for the trip, but it never ends up happening. Somehow paying it off as I go along feels more doable. Now I just have to wait until November 2025 is bookable :)

Thanks, good to know. I always mean to save up for the trip, but it never ends up happening. Somehow paying it off as I go along feels more doable. Now I just have to wait until November 2025 is bookable :)
I tend to buy the gift cards with 5% off with Target card or when there are deals at other stores once I know the next trip (which is usually before I leave the current trip! 🤣). It does help me to not have that one large payment due - at least mentally doesn’t seem so bad.

That's great! I usually pay all at once, but paying off a little at a time would be way better. I'm assuming if the trip is cancelled you get your money back..?
Yes indeed, unless you're within 5 days of the stay and in that case you forfeit the first night's deposit. Even then you can skirt the issue by changing the dates to a later time and then cancelling. I've never done that, I've just read about it on DIS. I would be more inclined to call them if I had something that prevented me from being able to go last minute.

I tend to buy the gift cards with 5% off with Target card or when there are deals at other stores once I know the next trip (which is usually before I leave the current trip! 🤣). It does help me to not have that one large payment due - at least mentally doesn’t seem so bad.
I've been meaning to get a Target card for like 10 years so maybe I should finally do that. I've heard people mention getting Disney cards with the 5% off, which seems like a good deal.

Yes indeed, unless you're within 5 days of the stay and in that case you forfeit the first night's deposit. Even then you can skirt the issue by changing the dates to a later time and then cancelling. I've never done that, I've just read about it on DIS.
I did that when I cancelled a trip just before Disneyland closed for the pandemic. I had something come up and couldn't go, and DL hadn't yet instituted pandemic cancellation refunds (they did a couple days later), so the CM suggested that I move the reservation to later in the year. I had to pay some more because my original dates had taken advantage of a discount period, but I got everything back when I later cancelled the second reservation.

I really like this system because you can add it into your monthly budget, put extra money on it if you get a little unexpected bonus cash, etc. It's so easy to spend the little extra bits of money every month but if you put them toward your hotel stay it's so much easier to pay it off at the end. I have to do this because I always go in Dec. and there are a few other things that month that take money :rotfl: :santa:

Edited to add that getting a Target Red Card has been a good thing for me. While 5% doesn't seem like a lot, it really can add up and purchasing Disney gc's to use to pay for your reservation is a smart way to save a bit. I mean, if you buy $1000 worth of gcs, you get $50 which could buy you a churro!

I do this too! It makes the total cost a little less painful if you spread it out a bit. I like seeing the hotel res in my app too -- reminds me of the fun I have in store for the future.

Oh and if you're a Costco member, you can also book a hotel and ticket package direct through them. It's the same price (and discounts can be applied when available), but you get a gift card with your stay. The gift card is about $200 or more depending on how long you stay. The only downside is that you can only cancel by 30 days of the first travel date instead of the 5 days with hotel only reservations. Although, there was one time we had to postpone after that cutoff and I was able to change our trip dates like DizMe described (with no penalty or fee).

Last edited:
I do this too! It makes the total cost a little less painful if you spread it out a bit. I like seeing the hotel res in my app too -- reminds me of the fun I have in store for the future.

Oh and if you're a Costco member, you can also book a hotel and ticket package direct through them. It's the same price (and discounts can be applied when available), but you get a gift card with your stay. The gift card is about $200 or more depending on how long you stay. The only downside is that you can only cancel within 30 days instead of the 5 days with hotel only reservations. Although, there was one time we had to postpone after that cutoff and I was able to change our trip dates like DizMe described (with no penalty or fee).
I'm a Costco member so I'll look into that. Thanks!

Oh and if you're a Costco member, you can also book a hotel and ticket package direct through them. It's the same price (and discounts can be applied when available), but you get a gift card with your stay. The gift card is about $200 or more depending on how long you stay. The only downside is that you can only cancel within 30 days instead of the 5 days with hotel only reservations.
I'm pretty sure it's the case that you can only cancel before the 30-day mark if you want your money back, not within 30 days. Or did you mean you have to cancel within 30 days of making a Costco package reservation?

I'm pretty sure it's the case that you can only cancel before the 30-day mark if you want your money back, not within 30 days. Or did you mean you have to cancel within 30 days of making a Costco package reservation?
I worded that poorly! I meant that you had to cancel by the 30 day mark (of the first travel date) for a full refund. Although when we had to postpone our trip last year, we were able to modify the dates less than 30 days out with no penalty. I did call and explain, so not sure if they made an exception. But I have heard that others were able to do this with bookings, like DizMe mentioned... but you never know when that may change. Here is the official policy for Costco packages:

Cancellation and Refunds​

• For cancellations made 30 days or more prior to Guest arrival, amounts paid (minus cancellation fees assessed by third party hotels or other suppliers, non-refundable travel protection plan costs, and other amounts owed) will be refunded.
  • For cancellations made 5 days to 29 days prior to Guest arrival, amounts paid (minus a cancellation fee of $200 per package and minus any cancellation fees assessed by third party hotels or other suppliers, non-refundable travel protection plan costs, and other amounts owed) will be refunded.
  • For cancellations made 4 days or less prior to Guest arrival or for no-shows, the full price of the package (including Disneyland® Resort admission tickets and all other components of the package) is non-refundable.
  • No refunds will be made for early departure from hotel or for unused or partially used admission tickets, options, components, or features.
  • Any refunds allowed by WDTC in its sole discretion after arrival must be requested in writing within 90 days after departure and may be assessed a $25 processing fee. WDTC reserves the right to make refunds in accordance with the method that payment was received. All appropriate refunds will be made through the Guest's travel agent if payment was made by the travel agent. WDTC is not responsible for the receipt of refund monies by Guests from their travel agents.

There’s obviously a factor of discipline but if your trip is far enough out don’t forget that with high interest rates you can be earning nearly 5% interest in an HYSA. May as well get paid for that money instead of donating the profits to Disney.

I worded that poorly! I meant that you had to cancel by the 30 day mark (of the first travel date) for a full refund. Although when we had to postpone our trip last year, we were able to modify the dates less than 30 days out with no penalty. I did call and explain, so not sure if they made an exception. But I have heard that others were able to do this with bookings, like DizMe mentioned... but you never know when that may change.
Thanks for the clarification. That's great that you were able to change the dates. When you book through Costco, do they have their own agents or were you able to deal directly with Disney to modify your reservation?

Thanks for the clarification. That's great that you were able to change the dates. When you book through Costco, do they have their own agents or were you able to deal directly with Disney to modify your reservation?
Yes, to my knowledge Costco has it's own agents and it's not direct through Disney (a least I am fairly certain they referenced Costco when answering). They direct you to call (877) 849-2730.

I've been meaning to get a Target card for like 10 years so maybe I should finally do that. I've heard people mention getting Disney cards with the 5% off, which seems like a good deal.
I love doing this. I buy one each month when I'm shopping at Target and then consolidate them online to cards that hold what I need for my DLR hotel, for meals, etc. It works like savings for me. If I need more before I leave, I get an e-card or two from Target for the remainder. Costco had a 10% offer earlier in the year and I purchased a few e gift cards there for my upcoming fall trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter