Canon 400D (Rebel Xti, Kiss X)

I think it all boils down to how great a deal you are getting. I had it for a while, and there was much to love about it, but also a few things I didn't like. I do recall the flash recycle time drove me nuts on this one. I think it's the flash that finally did me in. It stopped working and they replaced it under warranty with the Xsi.

I would personally be wary about buying a used DSLR. I have had too many develop problems through the years. But once again, it depends on the price.

Right now I'm keeping my warranty up and hoping the Xsi give out soon so I can upgrade to the T1i!

To all Canon shooters out there tell me about this camera? Is it any good it would be a second system camera for me since my main is Pentax and was just wondering about it? So do tell and yes I know its a few years old and not the latest but would it be worth thinking about it?

it's worth thinking about but I would go for a newer model like the Canon XSi (450D) or T1i (500D). If buying off Craigslist or locally be sure to check the number of shutter activations, image quality, etc. and look at comparable used sale prices ( www.photography-on-the.net/forum )

I does seem to me that if I was looking for a backup system, I would consider the same manufacturer so you could share lenses. Is there a reason you're not looking for a Pentax? Or is the deal on the Xti just too hard to pass up?

If it's a backup system I'd be getting the same kind as my primary camera.

That said, I've got the model before, the Rebel XT, and as a second body to have on hand it still serves me well. It's got some glitches, it's a five+ year old camera and I've been hard on it. And it's got a couple of dead pixels. But it gets the job done that I need it for now.

I'd have to agree in general with the others - I'd certainly look to the same company if I were looking for a 2nd body - especially if you have the extensive lens collection in your signature.

But if you have a special reason not to, I'd tend to agree with the others on the recommendations - by today's standards the camera is a bit outclassed, but if the deal is good, and what you're primarily looking for is a daytime shooter, where speed is not the priority, it should serve up good reliable lower ISO shots. If you need good low light performance, or speedier shooting and cycling, it might not be the best camera in the world - but the price you can pick it up for also makes a difference. And the other factor is the camera's condition - if you trust the seller that the camera is in good working order, and not on its last legs after firing 100,000 shots. Then you have to consider what lenses you're going to pick up for it - you can probably find a few basic purpose used lenses pretty cheap - but getting into any nice stabilized glass is going to increase your investment in that second system substantially.

Thanks everyone I already have my main and a backup camera as well as several film cameras all from Pentax so not really looking for a backup per say. Just sort of looking to try it out and it would be as a swap if the other person was interested for a telezoom for the camera and a 50 f1.8 lens. Really it would just be something to play with and would probably only get a few Tokina lens that I have been hoping would come out in Pentax mounts but thats unlikely, so its not a make or break thing for me just idol curiousity what the other brands have to offer is all.

Thanks everyone I already have my main and a backup camera as well as several film cameras all from Pentax so not really looking for a backup per say. Just sort of looking to try it out and it would be as a swap if the other person was interested for a telezoom for the camera and a 50 f1.8 lens. Really it would just be something to play with and would probably only get a few Tokina lens that I have been hoping would come out in Pentax mounts but thats unlikely, so its not a make or break thing for me just idol curiousity what the other brands have to offer is all.

I don't think that a 5 year old camera is going to give you a good representation of what other brands have to offer. It would only give you a good idea of what they were offering 5 years ago.

I don't think that a 5 year old camera is going to give you a good representation of what other brands have to offer. It would only give you a good idea of what they were offering 5 years ago.

Thanks if I need one comment to make me not go through with the deal that was it. Its always nice to think about seeing what the other side has to offer who knows maybe I may just rent something for a week or two to try out before committing to a two maker way of life :confused3

Thanks if I need one comment to make me not go through with the deal that was it. Its always nice to think about seeing what the other side has to offer who knows maybe I may just rent something for a week or two to try out before committing to a two maker way of life :confused3

Well, I'm hoping that was thanks it was helpful, not thanks for dashing your dreams.

I understand what your saying, I see some stuff from both users of Nikon and Pentax gear, and and think it would be cool to be able to give them a try. (please note I see great stuff from Oly and Sony users as well, but they never had much appeal to me for other reasons)

But I commited to Canon way back when and now I'm way to heavely invested to switch. So short of them doing something like a total mount change, I'll be staying with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter