Canon 500D (Rebel T1i, Kiss X3)

I have actually sold myself on sandisk. I just got my camera and borrowed my daughter's 1 GB sd card (pioneer brand) from her camera since it was empty. Well, after taking 60 pictures, the thing failed and said it needed to be reformatted. I lost all 60 pictures. Not trying that again. So, sandisk it is!

Now as to class 6 vs class 10, someone told me that the class 10 is much better for video. Is this correct? I may get a class 6 and try it first. Can't hurt to have them both if I decide to switch!

Thanks to EVERYONE!!!! I will definitely print off these pages & study, study, study! :yay: As for the beautiful whale pictures...
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited! I'm praying my Mom will get to see such sights :cloud9:

As far as the "old lens"---you guys are REALLY smart! ;) I borrowed that thing from my Dad--he has an older Rebel. :rolleyes1 I'm not going to spend $200+ on another lens right now :sad2: I'm too dumb & A.D.D. to learn how to use ANOTHER new thing :confused: So, what I have is what I have & I cannot thank you all enough for your help :hug:

My 75-300 is probably fifteen years old (came in the kit with my Rebel G) and while I do complain about it, and would absolutely not recommend anyone buy it with what's out now... it really isn't that dreadful. You can get good shots with it.

Just keep in mind it needs a lot of light and fast shutter speeds and you'll be good.

Thanks to EVERYONE!!!! I will definitely print off these pages & study, study, study! :yay: As for the beautiful whale pictures...
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited! I'm praying my Mom will get to see such sights :cloud9:

I went back and read your original post, and I *just* realized that you bought your camera last month, and you're heading on this trip next week!

I'm not sure how much photography experience you've had in the past, but I hope my explanations of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO (the 3 components of the "exposure triangle") weren't too overwhelming. For a new dSLR user, it can be a lot to juggle all these settings on-the-fly, especially when things are happening fast-paced like during whale watching.

What I would hate to see happen is for you to be struggling with all these camera settings, only to *miss* the beautiful whales breaching right in front of you! :sad2:

If all these camera settings sound pretty confusing or overwhelming, your back-up plan could be to try the Sports setting on your camera (the icon of the running guy) during the whale watching trip.

I'm not sure what the back-up plan would be for the nighttime cityscape photo. Perhaps the Landscape setting (icon of the mountains)? Or "P" for Program mode?

Ultimately, you're there to enjoy the rare chance to go whale watching, admire the beautiful nighttime scenery, and enjoy your time with your mom. Don't let the camera get in the way.

See if those settings help.

I went back and read your original post, and I *just* realized that you bought your camera last month, and you're heading on this trip next week!

I'm not sure how much photography experience you've had in the past, but I hope my explanations of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO (the 3 components of the "exposure triangle") weren't too overwhelming. For a new dSLR user, it can be a lot to juggle all these settings on-the-fly, especially when things are happening fast-paced like during whale watching.

What I would hate to see happen is for you to be struggling with all these camera settings, only to *miss* the beautiful whales breaching right in front of you! :sad2:

If all these camera settings sound pretty confusing or overwhelming, your back-up plan could be to try the Sports setting on your camera (the icon of the running guy) during the whale watching trip.

I'm not sure what the back-up plan would be for the nighttime cityscape photo. Perhaps the Landscape setting (icon of the mountains)? Or "P" for Program mode?

Ultimately, you're there to enjoy the rare chance to go whale watching, admire the beautiful nighttime scenery, and enjoy your time with your mom. Don't let the camera get in the way.

I agree with Disneyboy. Don't worry about the settings. When we did our whale watching excursion last year, it was overcast for the most part. I'm pretty sure I had my camera in P mode the whole time. I was using my 70-300mm lens which has a reputation of needing bright sunlight to get good shots, but I got many shots I was happy with.

Thank you so much! The settings did scare me a bit, but I have a few hours on the plane...I plan on studying my camera the entire time :)

I agree with Disneyboy. Don't worry about the settings. When we did our whale watching excursion last year, it was overcast for the most part. I'm pretty sure I had my camera in P mode the whole time. I was using my 70-300mm lens which has a reputation of needing bright sunlight to get good shots, but I got many shots I was happy with.
Thank you also :hug: I have a habit of looking through my pics immediately after taking them (& deleting all bad ones.) If I see that I haven't figured out everyone's suggestions, I'll just jump over to the Sports setting or something similar! :thumbsup2

Hi all, this is my first time posting on the Photography Board! Normally you can find me hanging out on the Budget Board.

Today I leap from the world of Point and Shoot to a Canon Rebel T1i with 18-55mm lens. UPS should be here anytime with my new camera! If you don't mind, I have a few questions.

1. Any bag you recommend/don't recommend? I tend like backpack style bags.

2. Any books or websites out there that are helpful for the Rebel?

3. If I were to buy another lens, what you do recommend? I will be taking pictures of my DD (inside and outside) and will bring the camera to Disney in Dec and Feb, plus on a cruise. Not sure if I will bring it to Disney next week, I wasn't planning on having it so soon and DH will only be traveling with me part of the trip.

4. If you have any other advice, please let me know!

Thanks for your help! I really want to learn how to use it to the max!

1) Choosing a bag can be quite tough. One thing I would advise, it to visit a store (Best Buy or a camera store) and really look at them in person. And if you see one you like, try to look for it online. You can save some really good money that route. But the Slingshot seems to be a popular choice. Mainly for it's easy camera access.

2) I'd recommend Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, for photography in general. You camera's manual will help you work the controls a little; but Understanding Exposure will help you know why and when to make those adjustments.

3) Do you mind changing lenses, or do you want a nice walkaround lens??? I love my 18-135mm. It's basically the only lens I have right now though (not counting the 18-55 that came with the camera). And it was definitely great to have some zoom versatility when I went on my cruise; and not have to worry about changing lenses. Especially when I knew that we'd be on the move a lot.

4) Just shoot away!!!!! Make lots of mistakes, but know why you made them.

Have fun with your T1i. You'll LOVE it. :thumbsup2

First, if you are looking at books/dvd's, I'd recomend blue crain or magic lantern dvds. I have gotten them with all my cameras and they ROCK!

As for lenses, a cheap lens to learn on is the canon 50mm f/1.8 lens, which is the cheapest canon lens, $100 normally. I love my Sigma version of this lens the 50mm f/1.4 which is $499. I also have the 30mm f/1.4 which is half that cost if you find it used. My favorite portrait lens is the canon 135mm /f2 or the 70-200 f/2.8, but both are a grand or more. I'm thinking about picking up the new Sigma 85mm f/1.4 which is going to release at $899, but I think I'll wait for reviews of it vs the Canon 85mm f/1.2 which is double the price.

Bags? I like LowePro or ThinkTank, but bags and carrying your camera is a personal thing, take your camera to a camera store and look around at what they have. You also may consider a sling or a hybrid camera bag which can be used half as a camera bag, half for something else.

If you're going to get another lens, look into renting one from either www.borrowlenses.com or www.lensrentals.com (I've used borrowlenses.com and they're great, I've heard wonderful things about lensrentals.com).

Or find a really good camera store. Your tag says your a Red Sox fan....if you are ever in Boston give Calumet Photo a shot (www.calumetphoto.com). My local Calumet is awesome. Very helpful, let me try just about every piece of equipment they have.

All good suggestions above, I would recommend the Canon 55-250IS and the 50mm 1.8 and maybe at some point getting an external flash. Also check out the local library for photography books

his is a great youtube poster to help you get started with your camera Lark Books. He is easy to learn from. Even my Dmil likes this guy. Lark Books has great "how to" books at most good book stores. I got one for my Xsi. It's helping my get ready.

One other thing for ya.
PRACTICE
PRACTICE
PRACTICE

Don't forget to bring a few 8 gig memory cards in case you use the camera for video.
And have a Magical Day:banana::hippie:

Ok, so I made the leap to DSLR world from point and shoot, mainly b/c of my kids and sports. I got the 55-250m lens b/c of the IS. Took some pics over the weekend, and some were blurry - should I have it on AF all the time? I was manually adjusting to where I wanted it, and then pressing the button 1/2 way to AF before I snapped the pic.

Anyways, I got the "DSLR for dummies" book! I would love to bring this on our 1st DCL cruise in Mar 2011, but I'm scared of salt water, sand, moisture, etc. that I've heard others talk about ruining their cameras. However, I've seen several pics posted on the cruise line forum from people w/DSLRs. So, would you take yours on your cruise and if so, how would you protect it against all the sea/salt air stuff?

ANY advice is welcomed here b/c I'm a newbie with all of this (advice on how to take pics inside the cruise re: lighting, and nite shots, would be great too!)...

TIA:thumbsup2

There are several reasons why a photo may be blurry.

These include

Using the wrong AF mode. There is AI servo for moving subjects and ons shot AF for stationary objects.

Your shutter speed may have been to slow for a moving subject.

Your shutter speed may have been too slow to handhold your camera and keep it steady even with Image stabilizatio0n.

The AF point wasn't on what you wanted to be the most focused part of the photo.

It would be helpful to post a photo with the shooting infomration, and we would be able to help you more with blurriness.

As for taking a DSLR on a cruise, by all means do it. Just don't drop it into the ocean, and if it does get salt spray on it, wiping it with a slight moist cloth and drying it will probably be just fine. I haven't read a lot of threads of people complaining about their cameras breaking after a cruise.

Some people recommend a UV filter over the front element of the lens to protect it from salt spray. The filter can then be cleaned keeping the front element more pristine.

I took my T1i on the Disney Cruise, and had no problems with water or sand, or anything really. And I didn't have extra filters for protection either. And my camera was also out ALL THE TIME!!!!!! The only problem I encountered was going out to take pictures of the sunrise, and my lens would fog up..... inside, no less. But that was because the room was so cold overnight, and going immediately into the humid air caused the fogging issue.

So unless there's sand blowing in your face, you should be alright.

Ok, so I made the leap to DSLR world from point and shoot, mainly b/c of my kids and sports. I got the 55-250m lens b/c of the IS. Took some pics over the weekend, and some were blurry - should I have it on AF all the time? I was manually adjusting to where I wanted it, and then pressing the button 1/2 way to AF before I snapped the pic.

Anyways, I got the "DSLR for dummies" book! I would love to bring this on our 1st DCL cruise in Mar 2011, but I'm scared of salt water, sand, moisture, etc. that I've heard others talk about ruining their cameras. However, I've seen several pics posted on the cruise line forum from people w/DSLRs. So, would you take yours on your cruise and if so, how would you protect it against all the sea/salt air stuff?

ANY advice is welcomed here b/c I'm a newbie with all of this (advice on how to take pics inside the cruise re: lighting, and nite shots, would be great too!)...

TIA:thumbsup2

Leave it on the green box only until you learn more about your camera. Nothing to worry about when it comes to the salt air on the cruise. You have plenty of time to practice. try shooting sunrise and sunsets. Try shooting birds or even clouds. It's free already. No need to develop film. Just practice. You can even look up Lark Books - Magic lantern series Click Here and you can look at helpful video's on YouTube. You have time to learn. So Enjoy the camera and the DCL trip.

Your camera is also a video camera. You will need and extra battery (I would hate for your battery to die when you needed it) and bring a few extra 8 gig or larger memory cards.

Post an image. It will make it much easier to tell you the most likely reason it's blurry. Otherwise we're all just guessing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter