Canon Rebel XT ?

NeverSayNever

DIS Veteran
Hi...

Bear with me I am so upset... I jsut went to get my camera REbel XT to take a picture of the kids... it slipped from my hand about 1 1/2ft to the hardwood floor... the lens is destroyed, polarizer shattered. Can't even get the lens cap off, and the lens itself is inoperable... (not sure if the body is ok.. I am hoping).

Regardless, I need to replace the lens immediately and go from there we will in acouple of weeks for our short XMAS trip to the world.. not to mention Turkey day, etc etc...

SO I wnat to try and order a new lens tonight... probably B&H unless you have other reliable suggestions...

WHat lens recceomendations for a basic everyday lens would you malke.. what should I buy... ALl I have is the kit lens (I think it was 18-55). I can't break the bank but want a decent.. ok better lens then I had.

Thoughts asap please...

Then... Once I get the new lens how do I determine if the body was damaged at all... are there any diagnostics that I can do...? Is my only choice to sent it to Cannon to have it check out? ANy idea how much that would be..? It is still apretty new camera... I have it maybe 6months..

URGHH....

PLEASE HELP... I know no where else to turn for trusted suggestions

THANKS!!

Best

The Tamron 28-75mm has been pretty popular around here lately, it will be quite a bit higher quality than the kit lens, and faster, too. Oh, and definitely heavier, too! There are also 18-50mm F2.8 lenses available if 28mm isn't wide enough. These can be had for probably under $300.

That's one option - to get a faster, higher-quality lens. Another option is get a lens with more reach but not faster. There are plenty of options there, too.

Do you have any other lens at all to try on the camera? I would think the camera held up better in that short of a drop. I would try another lens before sending back to Canon for a check. As far as lens suggestions I will pass this along to the Pros on here for fear of a bad suggestion. We hope it ALL works out for you.:thumbsup2

if you have a a ritz camera or other camera store nearby take the camera in there, tell them what happened and ask to try a lens on the camera to see if it works..

None. That's it. Time to tell your husband or wife that it is time to upgrade to a 40D. You have the perfect opportunity. Snag it before it gets away! We won't tell...

If that doesn't work, do what Mickey88 said. I seem to be agreeing with him all night here! :)

The 24-70 f/2.8 in from either sigma or canon, the canon is quite a bit more. I use this range lens for about 90+% of my non sports photos.

Thanks everyone...

I am going to hopefullly stop at a Ritz camera today and pray the body is ok! I did take the lens off and put the body cap on and turn it on and it still shoots, flash still pops up so I am hoping these are good signs.... RIGHT?

I like the Tamron lens suggestions... Have to see if the budget will stretch that far, not sure with the holidays and then this surprise last minute trip.

Interesting about the 18-55IS from Cannon that just came out. Granted it really won't be an upgrade to soemthing better but it might work? Any one know more about this lens or other thoughts on this one or any others?

Obviously I did not order last night.. doubtful I will have something by Thursday, but I can sacrifice not having it for T-DAY to make the right choice now. Will jsut use my point and shoot.

Thanks again, and please more thoughts are appreciated.

Best

One other thought is, if you need something cheap, don't want to make any decisions hit ebay or craigslist. I'm sure somebody is selling there kit 18-55. probably pick it up cheap.

As far as basic replacement, I've got a Tamron 18-250, huge range, not the crispest thing in the world but about as much as the canon 18-55. Works great for my ability.

Yeah, well.... Nah, just kidding. I often agree with you and alot of people on here. It's easy to agree when I don't really know what I'm talking about. :lmao: :confused3 :lmao: :confused3

now I have to agree with you...you don't know what you are talking about....:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

just kidding, that one was too easy I had to say it...

oh wait, if you don't know what you are talking about, and you agree with me, does that mean I don't know what I'm talking about...:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

geesh it was so much simpler when no one agreed with me...

no wonder I like TO....LOL

I have to agree with the 28-70 2.8

28-75..2.8

anything in that range with a 2.8..

I have never heard anyone voice regrets over buying one of those, other than the weight issue.

but once you get used to it, it almost always becomes the lens most used..

Thanks for the input! I am still in limbo on deciding, I guess it will be the point and shoot camera for Turkey Day, but I must decided well before 12/7 when my family comes to visit (haven't seen them since last xmas) and we go to see Santa.

Luckily the body is ok, went to Ritz and tested it... unfortunatley my local Ritz had a really poor almost non-existent selection of lenses. Not 1 tamron, only a couple of Canons (no 18-55IS... they didn't even think they carried it unitl I pointed it out to them in their recent book ... Urghh). Then I gave up, but I also had to pick up my kids.

SO I am back here... and trying not to be a pest but I REALLY need some more help and SPECIFICS on what to get. I may have a few free hours tomorrow. PLEASE...

To put things in prespective... I think my budget maxs out at about $300... if it is a bit over I can live with it. I am still getting used to the XT... take a lot I mean alot of pictures of my kids and other kids.. parties, parks.. school shows etc.. you get the idea.. and then vacation type stuff. My main problem I have had with the XT and the kit lens has been focusing... it doesn't seem to focus fast enough for me and I have gotten lots of blurry shots... maybe my inexperience and not a fault of the lens.. but if the right lens could improve this it would be great.

I did see the Canon 25-85 USM... liked the USM definately faster focus.. but have read mixed reviews of the "sharpness" and that would probably be my main concern. Opinions?

What about the Canon 28-105 USM?
Is going with the USM and sacrificing the width say in comparison to the 18-55IS a prudent choice for what I mainly shoot?

Ok... I am trying not to beg... but now I am begging... Really need some help in choicing a quality lens here as this is a huge expense for me etc etc...

THANKS...

Not sure if this will help or not... but what do you think of this picture... I took these with the 25-85... in RItz...

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4277.jpg

Here are a couple I took with the kit lens from Sept that are I think are ok... be honest what do I need to do to make them better?

From inside the GF Cafe:

892446443503_0_ALB.jpg

From 2nd floor public balcony at GF

158272543503_0_ALB.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

and this is what I mean about not focusing...

IMG_3265.jpg

Sorry if this is long... but I really appreciate the help... If need be I will delete the pictures after a little bit.

Thanks again!!

I can never figure out how to view exif data, but it looks to me on the last one that the bluriness is caused by too slow of a shutter speed. I don't think it is a lens focus issue. In these types of settings, you will either need to boost the ISO or purchase a faster lens.

I can never figure out how to view exif data, but it looks to me on the last one that the bluriness is caused by too slow of a shutter speed. I don't think it is a lens focus issue. In these types of settings, you will either need to boost the ISO or purchase a faster lens.

You guessed it! Exposure time 1/2 sec. Way too slow.

Canon's 24-85 is a good mid-priced lens. It is sharp, focuses fast, and can produce some very good images. I used one for over 4 years and DW uses one now. The lens hood does not come with the lens so be sure to order one.

the current lens I have on my camera is Sigma 17-70mm /f2.8-4.5 DC Macro, which I am very happy with to the extent that my kit lens is collecting dust. Some sample shots (sorry, all non-disney, but I didn't have my current camera last time we were there):
Parkside03.jpg

IMG_3759.jpg

SpragueLake.jpg

DenAqua06.jpg

It takes great pictures of people too, I just don't have any uploaded right now. I know it's more than your budget, and about $50 more than the 24-80 you were looking at.

Just to give you another suggestion!

although i might take the body and try the copy, i used my 28-135 IS canon a lot on our last vacation...not great for low light though but it really imo is a good range. i think it's under 400( well it was around that last i looked which was long ago) the is helps with the stinky low light since you can go slower shutter speed than normal. i'll post one when i get some converted from raw
tripod after dark(duh)
20071114sebastianinletr008copy_filt.jpg

handheld
20071114123copy.jpg

bright light hand held through water
20071115sebastian2007048copy.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter