Canon Rebel XT ?

The Tamron 17-50 2.8 is also my favorite lens. There is now a VC version of the Tamron and like you mentioned the newer Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS but if you don't need "IS/VC/OS" at those focal ranges the older versions are great

If considering the VC version of this lens, she might want to read up on some of the reviews. I think the general consensus is that the VC version was not quite as sharp as the original. That kept me from pulling the trigger on it.

If considering the VC version of this lens, she might want to read up on some of the reviews. I think the general consensus is that the VC version was not quite as sharp as the original. That kept me from pulling the trigger on it.

Those same reviews are the reason why I'm waiting to see what the reviewers say about the new Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS. Many folks kept their non-VC Tamron 17-50 because of the lackluster reviews of the VC version.

Note: OS = Optical Stabilization, VC = Vibration Control, IS = Image Stabilizer
They all mean the same thing, meaning, the lense has some sort of image stabilizer built in. Whether its worth the extra $200-$300 premium is up for debate ;)

Wow, guys... thanks for the continued discussion. And those photos are beautiful! Do you have any portrait shots that you have taken with it? I would love to see some close up facial photos.

I never made it to the shop today so I think I will go ahead and purchase it through Amazon.

My Canon Rebel XT is causing me grief! It takes pictures fine in well lit settings but in low light settings the flash will not pop up and if I pop it up manually it doesn't work anyway and the shutter speed slows down. What could it be? I'm not a photographer by any means so I have no clue what it going on!

TIA
MB

What mode are you using? Only AUTO mode will make the flash go off without you telling to do so. You should also try to learn a little more about photography if you want to improve your shots, especially in low light. A good book is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

It seems to me that it was the pop up flash that did in one of my rebels (either the Xt or the Xti). It stopped popping up and wouldn't even go off when I manually popped it up myself in program mode. I don't recall if it affected the shutter speed or not. Mine was under warranty by Sears, the place I bought my first Rebel in 04. (Their warranty is so comprehensive I have kept it in place since then). They opted not to fix it, as they tend to do with every problem I have. They upgraded me to the newer model instead.

I think you should do some online research to see if others have been able to have it repaired by Canon, and how much it cost. You wouldn't want to spend too much fixing that old a model.

Sorry!

If you manually pop the flash up in any mode it should fire. Though like said above, it will only pop up automatically in auto.

If it's not firing make sure your battery is completely charged and reset the camera to factory settings. If that does not work your camera may need service, though depending on the problem it may be cheaper just to invest in a speedlite rather than repair the body.

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, right after I typed the original message I picked up my camera to try something I had seen on line and low and behold the darn thing is working like a charm! Apparently, if the flash doesn't pop up on it's own the camera has a tendency to not realize it needs the flash so it won't work properly. I don't remember what the piece was called but DH pushed it down and it was magically fixed :)

Thanks again!

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, right after I typed the original message I picked up my camera to try something I had seen on line and low and behold the darn thing is working like a charm! Apparently, if the flash doesn't pop up on it's own the camera has a tendency to not realize it needs the flash so it won't work properly. I don't remember what the piece was called but DH pushed it down and it was magically fixed :)

Thanks again!

I'm glad it's working for you. But like Photo Chick said, it IS supposed to fire in any mode, even if you pop it up manually. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter