Canon S3

ndelaware

DIS Veteran
Wow, seems like they just came out with the S2.

"Canon PowerShot S3 IS
Pre-PMA 2006: Canon today announce the third generation of its 'super zoom' compact with the release of the PowerShot S3 IS, the successor to the popular S2 IS. The 6-megapixel camera features the same 12x optical zoom but boosts the sensitivity range up to ISO 800, has a larger 2.0-inch vari-angle screen and boasts several new features. It's also a serious looking gunmetal gray. (11:05 GMT)"
canon_s3is_frontback-001.jpg

They are basically the same thing but now with ISO 800, Gun-metal body (yeah, the silver thing is sooo 1999) and (hopefully) lesser shutter lag.

It figures the S3 would come out now. I just purchased the S2. Any idea what the new one will retail at?

TC :cool1:

Don't know yet. I just find it strange that it took such a long time to upgrade from S1 to S2 but (relatively) a short time from S2 to S3.

Tuffcookie said:
It figures the S3 would come out now. I just purchased the S2. Any idea what the new one will retail at?

TC :cool1:

The press release at www.dpreview.com says it will be out in May, and retail at $499. I suspect you'll be able to find it online at closer to $400.

one more thing. I don't know whether this feature is available on the S2, but the S3 comes with 3:2 mode !!!! Soooo excited (although there is no way I will buy one... I'm buying a Canon 30D with 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens)

K9Z9WZ said:
Sweet! I don't understand why anyone would need a camera smaller than that.

Well, it's not exactly pocket-sized. Here's another view:

8f362987.jpg

<gulp> :eek:
What's the chance that bad boy will be on the market before May 1st? We leave for WDW on May 5th and I would love to take that on vacation with me!!

My supplier of all camera equipments (Amazing Photo, in Canada) told me that it'll be available BEFORE the end of April.

That really is a good looking camera.

Too bad mine still works good. And I just bought DD one for christmas so now I can't even pass mine down to her.

Kelly Grannell said:
My supplier of all camera equipments (Amazing Photo, in Canada) told me that it'll be available BEFORE the end of April.

Is that a promise, Kelly??? :teeth:

Hmm.... I wonder if I could figure out the camera in a week? :scratchin There is that 2 hour flight to Orlando.... :idea: Would I be crazy to wait that close to a trip?

I personally spend 2 month playing with a camera (of a new brand) and 2 weeks playing with a camera of a same brand (due to similarities in ergonomics and the way they 'act'. For point and shoot, it usually takes me a week to familiarize myself, but it's going to be a very intensive week.

As far as release date... well, that's what the letter with the Canon letter head said. Again, however, these things tend to be a more accurate ESTIMATED time of arrival, not 100% definite. The pre-orders from the stores WILL start on March 20th.

...on www.amazon.com.

But you'll pay the premium price -- $499 -- and Amazon won't promise delivery before May 31.

They're offering a number of the new models for pre-order, if you want to pay a visit...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter