• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Car Insurance

Kenbar

Mouseketeer
Can someone help with car insurance. I've figured out I need CDW (is this the same as LDW?). Do I need SLI? Do I need anything else? Whats the average cost on an intermediate/fullsize car? Do i purchase them seperately or thru the car hire co?:confused:
Thanks

Ken

YOu definitely need SLI as the standard thrid-party insurance does not cover much. SLI is for when you injure someone and they sue you.

Hi Ken, the subject of car insurance is oft discussed on this board! Try using the search facility to see previous discussions. As I see it there are four alternatives for your car insurance (and SLI is essential in my opinion, particularly in the litigous USA):

1. Buy the insurance through your tour operator.
2. Buy the insurance from the car hire company when you collect the car.
3. Buy your insurance from an independent insurance company.
4. Get your insurance policy as part of your travel insurance.

In my opinion the prices charged in 1 and 2 are complete ripoffs, and I have never used either of these options.

For option 3 there are a couple of companies which offer independent insurance, Natwest being one (but only if you have one of their [gold?] credit cards). Other people should be able to give you details. The prices I've seen quoted are much cheaper than 1 or 2.

I normally take out option 4. As far as I know, only American Express include car hire insurance as part of their travel insurance policy. For me this has worked out much cheaper than the other options. Please ask if you want more details.

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob

Thanks for the tip to search through earlier posts. I guess the same questions must come round a lot. I found some really interesting threads and I'm still wading through them

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks to an earlier post on this forum (thanks, Astrid!) we've got a good deal through www.sunchase.co.uk. We've paid £685 - 3 weeks/luxury class and the price includes all insurances, taxes, airport and handling fees.

We especially wanted Dollar because they're onsite at the airport and we prefer their cars, but if you're happy to use Alamo and you're looking at a full size or intermediate the cost will be considerably less (probably in the region of £350 for a fortnight). The price we got is about £165 cheaper than booking direct with Dollar.

also take a look at The Flight Shop

They did have an offer taking 10% off Holiday Autos bookings - (they tend to use Alamo or Dollar). holiday Autos also include your insurances in the price.

link: www.theflightshop.co.uk

You should consider if you need Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) or not as you will probably already be covered with your holiday insurance.

Mike

We used sunchase for our recent trip in June and they were excellent value compared to other quotes I received !

Current rates inlcuding Gold cover (fully inclusive insurances + full tank of gas + upto 3 additional drivers) are -

Intermediate - £ 173.00 per week

Full Size - £186 per week

Tyke

Hi Tyke
Thanks for the tip. I have got that quote from Sunchase myself earlier today and it's the cheapest I've found up to now as well.

:confused: Are sunchase an agent or a car hire company? If agent which company did you end up with?

BTW feeling pleased with myself just at the moment:) because just booked my flights in the last half hour:) (Hence the new clock underneath)

Through Opodo, virgin atlantic from manchester, good timings, Me, The Bride, and the three kids £1500.
Good Value??

ken

Hi Tyke and everyone else

just realised that sunchase are an agent. Sorry UKDebs I should have read your answer more carefully:o

Ken

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter