Carnage, Mayhem & Pixie Dust: a “frightful” & delightful Halloween-Inspired, Offsite TR (Oct. 2015)

That's a really nice picture by Ariel's castle.

I wish Splash had a non-drop version. It's such a great ride, and nice and long too, but if you don't like drops, you're out of luck. I will tolerate the drop for the rest of the ride but I don't like it. But without the drop, I could ride that all day.

Another great party night, good idea to go twice then the pressure is off to get everything done in 1 night.

That's a really nice picture by Ariel's castle.

I wish Splash had a non-drop version. It's such a great ride, and nice and long too, but if you don't like drops, you're out of luck. I will tolerate the drop for the rest of the ride but I don't like it. But without the drop, I could ride that all day.

I loved that photo, too. The colours are spectacular :thumbsup2.

I like your version of Splash Mountain. Of course, there wouldn't be much "splash" to the mountain without the drop :rotfl: but still, I think its a marvelous idea nonetheless!

Another great party night, good idea to go twice then the pressure is off to get everything done in 1 night.

It turned out to be a very good decision. Not a cheap one :rotfl2: but definitely worth it for us!

Saturday, October 17th:

Despite being up late from the party, we dragged our weary selves out of bed fairly early to allow us lots of time to finalize the packing. It was fairly easy to complete with the exception of those marvellous minions who just would not, could not fit in the suitcases regardless of how we stuffed, squeezed or re-organized :headache:.

We finally opted to waive the white flag and decided to stop trying. The Pirate Minion fit into one of the carry-ons (with some small items stowed in the tiny bit of space left around his legs and the top of his head) but Banana Kevin, Tim and Tie Dye Stuart would have to be bagged separately for the journey home. We grabbed quick showers, enjoyed a speedy cup of coffee, and locked up the suitcases before loading everything in the rental. The Minion Trio rode comfortably in the back seat while we headed to the Welcome Center.

We had hoped that they might have a large clear recycling bag that we could secure the remaining three minions in, but alas, they had nothing readily available that would work. We did, however, give them their laugh for the day at our packing “mayhem”. Even I had to admit that the situation was a little funny :teeth:.

Publix didn’t end up having anything that would work for us either, but by a stroke of good luck, we managed to find super big garbage bags at the Dollar Tree across from the Vistana. Without many other options, we purchased a small box of them and a roll of packing tape to keep everything held together. Certainly not the most elegant way to be whisked back to Canada, but hey…..it was better than nothing. With the minions prepped for the journey home (albeit in a rather rudimentary fashion), we headed in search of a hearty breakfast. Steve, by now, was starving so I let him pick where we would dine. Not surprisingly, we ended up here:

This location was the one in the former Wood Grill Buffet suite, near the Sheraton Vistana Villages. Some of the Golden Corrals are really quite chaotic and showing their wear, but this one is sooo clean, bright, and “new” feeling. It also didn’t suffer from the guest pandemonium that afflict many of the others, so we got to enjoy their fantastic selection in peace and quiet…..a perfect ending for our trip :thumbsup2.

Everything was hot and fresh and very well stocked. They have so many options, though, I always find it hard to narrow down what to eat, especially at breakfast. I really don’t have the stomach capacity first thing in the morning to do that buffet justice.

Steve, on the other hand, has a stomach of iron and managed to enjoy all the finer aspects of the meat offerings, including fried chicken :eek:. Yes, for breakfast :faint:.

Despite the early hour, the infamous Chocolate Wonderfall was already operational for anyone who wished to partake in a chocolatey-sweet ending to their morning meal. Both of us took a pass….we would be on a plane later today, and I surely didn’t want THAT coming back to haunt me en route back to Buffalo!! :scared:

Our server was excellent throughout the meal. The total bill, with tax, came to $18.94 including beverages. We left a nice tip and rolled ourselves out to the car.

After a meal like that, we needed to get out in that beautiful Florida sun and get some much-needed exercise. We didn’t have to have the car back to Alamo until 3 pm, so we had lots of time to enjoy a couple of last-minute attractions before our day was done. Surprisingly, we were sad that the trip was over but the nasty case of the blues that normally hits me was staying reasonably well controlled. The fact that we would return in just two short months was definitely helping me cope on the much-dreaded departure day.

Also helping keep the blues at bay was the fact that we had things planned to pass the time between now and the journey to the airport, so we weren’t sitting and clock-watching or debating what to do. Just before the trip, we had secured a Groupon for mini golf and gator feeding for two at my beloved Congo River (after a couple of added discounts, credits, and our ebates cash back, it cost us less than a dollar out of pocket!) so that’s where we headed after Golden Corral.

There are multiple locations in the area, but we chose the one on I-Drive near Universal:

The weather was simply perfect that morning: warm, sunny, breezy, gorgeous :sunny:. What an awesome day to spend mini golfing!

Surprisingly, aside from one other couple, we were the only ones on the course. It was simply awesome to have the whole place virtually to ourselves…..like a private rental, without the private price!

Those of you who have read my previous reports know it’s no secret that this is my favourite course in all of Orlando. I adore the theming, the lushness, the music, and the courses are just challenging enough to be fun without being so challenging that I want to beat my head in with the club. And to top it all off, they have gators :love:……so in my world, it just doesn’t get much more perfect than that.

I love, love all the little thematic touches. If you take time to notice them all, it’s really quite impressive!

While I’ve never been a great mini golfer, I am definitely getting better with practice. At the 17th hole, I was just one stroke behind Steve….though unfortunately I couldn’t pull off a hole in one on the 18th to secure the win. It was a competitive, fun and close game nonetheless, and I felt a little victorious even as the loser :).

We weren’t done yet…..gator feeding was next.

The mini golf looks fun, have only played onsite at disney or universal so far.

It was a glorious day, I can remember walking through citywalk and talking to DH about how nice it was, palmtrees against the blue sky is a big change for us from the cold grey north of England.

The mini golf looks fun, have only played onsite at disney or universal so far.

It was a glorious day, I can remember walking through citywalk and talking to DH about how nice it was, palmtrees against the blue sky is a big change for us from the cold grey north of England.

I am not sure if that kind of sparkling weather makes the last day harder or easier....rainy and dreary is certainly harder on the mental state, but being sooo nice makes it even more painful to go home!! Yup, I can't be pleased!! :laughing:

In other news.....I got my photo book today from Picaboo!! :woohoo:

I will share it with you at the end of this report......stay tuned :surfweb: . I am really, really happy with how it turned out.

I've been lurking since your last TR, they are so much fun and helpful with the Universal side of my trip planning. The Congo River info is great as well, since I jokingly mentioned feeding gators on our trip next fall and now need to add it :) Along with mini golf, and this seems to be the best/easiest way to do it. Good to know about the groupon too. Do you know how long they are normally good for? I'm not sure how far out I should start looking for things like that. We'll have a couple of off site meals too.

Gina I'm sure you must have let Steve win the mini golf :rolleyes:

LOL....yup....that was it ;) .

That's the exact Congo River that I've got planned for our May trip next year! Now I'm even more excited about it!

We also really like the one in Kissimmee. We will often visit that location if we're at the Nike Clearance Store or getting donuts from Krispy Kreme.

I've been lurking since your last TR, they are so much fun and helpful with the Universal side of my trip planning. The Congo River info is great as well, since I jokingly mentioned feeding gators on our trip next fall and now need to add it :) Along with mini golf, and this seems to be the best/easiest way to do it. Good to know about the groupon too. Do you know how long they are normally good for? I'm not sure how far out I should start looking for things like that. We'll have a couple of off site meals too.

Groupon expiry dates are all over the board, but 60-120 days is pretty common. Some will have a very specific "use by" date, others will give you 60, 90, 120 days after purchase. I generally start watching Groupon about 3 months out and just check that fine print thoroughly before purchasing. I also try to wait for sales....they run them all the time....to get an additional 20, 25 or even 30% off the already discounted Groupon price. And don't forget to purchase through your Ebates account for cash back! :thumbsup2

After we finished our golf game, we traded our putters for poles and our balls for some gator food. The attendant forewarned us that the gators were a tad non-responsive that morning due to the low temperatures experienced overnight :cold:, and that they may be less than eager to snack as a result.

Nevertheless, we got right to work attaching the small pieces of wieners to the hooks to see if we coax our scaly friends into being a little social.

Our gator friends were, indeed, pretty out of it. We sure didn’t find it cold overnight, but obviously those gators have a much more sensitive system than us hearty northerners. A few of them didn’t bother to move a muscle, and the ones who did make an attempt to grab at the food just held it between their teeth after they nabbed it off the clip at the end of the pole.

The good part about the lazy gators was that our feeding fun was nicely stretched out versus the typical gobble-and-go when they’re starving. It gave us a chance to watch and enjoy them for a little longer than we normally would.

After gator feeding, we washed our hands to protect against gator germs and returned to the car. It was nearing noon, so we could head back toward where we originally started our morning……right next to the Golden Corral…..for our next attraction of the day (our final one of the trip! :sad1:):

We couldn't think of a "sweeter" finale.

This is my second trip report of yours reading. Loving it. I have to find the grilled cheese place. We were in orlando last week, I only wish I had read this sooner so I could have found it. I don't know what combo I would pick.

We had a horrible meal at Pinnochio Village Haus too. yuck. the only redeeming quality was where we sat we could watch the boats.

You write great trip reports.

I'm really looking forward to the gator feeding, since that's something we've never done before--your photos have me really excited about that! That particular location works well for us because we'll be doing the Titanic exhibit and Skeletons on that day. I'm a little sad, though, that your trip report is nearing its end.....

This is my second trip report of yours reading. Loving it. I have to find the grilled cheese place. We were in orlando last week, I only wish I had read this sooner so I could have found it. I don't know what combo I would pick.

We had a horrible meal at Pinnochio Village Haus too. yuck. the only redeeming quality was where we sat we could watch the boats.

You write great trip reports.

Thank you dalmation7 :goodvibes . Glad to have you reading along!

Tom+Chee is easy to find....its right in the Crossroads, just across from the entrance to Disney Springs. Very close to Sweet Tomatoes!

You guys are busy bees on the day of your flights! Mmm, chocolate....

That was very deliberate onour part. I tend to find departure day to be very emotional, and keeping busy helps keep that at bay. If we have other things to focus on, I can manage the blues so much better.

The chocolate tour was very different from anything we had done in Orlando before! I cant wait to post my pics!

I'm really looking forward to the gator feeding, since that's something we've never done before--your photos have me really excited about that! That particular location works well for us because we'll be doing the Titanic exhibit and Skeletons on that day. I'm a little sad, though, that your trip report is nearing its end.....

Aw, thanks! :goodvibes I always have fun writing them.....but fear not, there is still a lot yet to come. I figure I should be able to keep up the chatter on this TR for at least a few more days!! Then its only T minus 22 until the next adventure......:banana:.

We're the same way on the last day. Now I book a character meal for a late breakfast on the day before we go...gives me something to look forward to on the last night.

Looking forward to the chocolate pictures! :)

We arrived at World of Chocolate, and made our way into the cafe with our Groupons in hand (regular admission is $17.00 per person; our Groupon price was $10 each less a 20% off promo, for a total of $8 per ticket). Apparently the Groupons didn’t cover tax :confused:, so they processed our vouchers, we paid the tax, and the staff advised us that we had about 15 minutes to wait until the next tour. They handed us these “golden tickets”:

.....and invited us to browse about the cafe and retail shop while we waited to be called for the tour.

As you might suspect, there were lots of chocolate bars and related gift items for purchase in the shop, but they were mighty pricey...... some of them well over $15 for one bar :scared1:. Premium chocolate with a sticker price to match.

You could even purchase a dried cacao pod for that “hard to buy for” person in your life ;).

(I must admit, I was left wondering....who would honestly want to buy one of these? What on earth would you do with it when you got it home?)

Within a short time a young guide appeared and called for the next group of tour participants to join him at a doorway at the far end of the cafe. With our little group of 8 in tow, we were off to begin our chocolate education.

The attraction description on the website is as follows: Your tour starts off with a short presentation then we enter the tropical rainforest to learn a little more about cacao. Our tour then takes you back in time to find out the origins of chocolate and its rich history.

Just as promised, the first room featured a flat screen on the wall, and we watched a five minute video on the making of chocolate from its most basic stage: the cacao pods growing on the trees. The video was actually not as boring as the guide suggested it might be, and it was quite interesting to think that a Hershey bar might actually originate somewhere in an Ecuadorian rainforest. With the basics taken care of, we moved on to the next stops on the tour.

Our guide was super knowledgeable, very casual, and welcomed comments and questions from the group as we went along. We have nothing but great things to say about the personal young fellow....he did a great job keeping us entertained as we proceeded through the tour.

We were “treated” (pardon the pun....it’s a chocolate tour after all!!) to a little chocolate through the ages history lesson, complete with gold spray painted Victorian furniture (even the guide made a comment about this display being terribly cheezie):

With our chocolate making knowledge starting to bubble over like the Golden Corral Wonderfall, our tour took us next past a wonderful assortment of sculptures which were all made, as you might suspect, completely from chocolate. No tasting, please ;).

The Taj Mahal was the only sculpture which was fully constructed from white chocolate....which technically, isn’t really chocolate at all.....but that’s another story. One of the little tidbits of knowledge we picked up as part of the tour.

Steve (my little Dutch boy) took a particular shine to the beautifully constructed windmill:

Whoever had the job of creating these beauties seriously has the best job in the world ::yes::. Making pretty things from solid chocolate...what could be better? :confused3

We were given lots of time to mill around, take photos, and admire all the wonderful details of the sculptures. Our guide was very knowledgeable about where they were crafted, how they were transported, how much they weighed, and how some of the unique colourings were accomplished while still using only pure chocolate in their construction. I’m generally not much of an art aficionado, but this was definitely my kind of museum :).

More to come!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter