CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in Ohio. Our governor just announced that ALL schools are closing starting next Monday until at least April 3. That's a 3 week Spring break for my dd. Her Spring break wasn't suppose to start until the end of March. ACCCKKKKK!!!! Back to the store for more wine(I only bought 2 bottles today). So far we don't have any cases near us, but I'm happy, relieved, and grateful that Governor Dewine is taking this action. It's gonna be a LONNNNNGGG 3 weeks though!!!

Last edited:
Breaking news: Norwegian is "suspending all sailings between March 13 and April 11, 2020."

Is Carnival the only one left? I imagine it can't be far behind. What a mess!

Did RC cancel also? I feel bad for everyone who just had their cruises cancelled. I understand why, but how sad to think your cruise was happening on Saturday only to find out last night it was cancelled. Hopefully most people found out before flying all the way to Florida. I did see DCL is offering a full refund and not just future credit.(refund for cruises that were cancelled until end of March).

Last edited:
Carnival, RCL & Celebrity still haven't cancelled. Apparently RCL is not allowing new staff on board though. I imagine it's a matter of time. This is all a bit crazy! I do wonder how NCL will recover, they are already struggling from what I understand. At least they are offering full refunds.

Not being able to come to Canada through July is impacting some cruises as well.

Updated - RCL just announced 30 days as well. So I think it's just Carnival left? RCL is just their US cruises. I am not sure if Celebrity falls under the RCL announcement

Last edited:
In Quebec, Canada... All schools and child care are now closed for 2 weeks. They ask people who have to go to work and use public transportation —that would be me— to try to manage our transportation in order to not be cramped like sardines (yeah... good luck with that!)

All cruises departing from my province are suspended until July.

Looks like all cruises from US are being cancelled at the request of the government for the next 30 days. I don't think Carnival has announced how they will handle refunds or credits but I'm sure it will be in line with what the others are doing.

First confirmed Columbus, Oh Covid-19 case. He got off the Carnival Valor March 5.

Lovely, we live just north of Columbus(Delaware. OH). My dh works in Columbus. Hadn't heard about cases from any cruises besides the Princess ones. Yesterday during Gov. Dewine's press conference they said something like 150 people were being tested. A reporter asked the doctor about long term consequences. She said she expects to see a baby boom, since they are asking people to stay home more.

Lovely, we live just north of Columbus(Delaware. OH). My dh works in Columbus. Hadn't heard about cases from any cruises besides the Princess ones. Yesterday during Gov. Dewine's press conference they said something like 150 people were being tested. A reporter asked the doctor about long term consequences. She said she expects to see a baby boom, since they are asking people to stay home more.

The mayor was just on at 11:00 this morning. Check out 10tv, etc. They got this man’s test result back last night at 8:00 pm.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it won't spread as quickly here as it has in other places. Not looking forward to no school, church, or dance classes for dd, but also glad our Governor took quick action.

Me too and I hope not either. 😊. We are supposed to sale the DCL TA on 5/11. Right now we’re just playing the waiting game, hoping Disney cancels first.

Me too and I hope not either. 😊. We are supposed to sale the DCL TA on 5/11. Right now we’re just playing the waiting game, hoping Disney cancels first.

Our next cruise isn't until March 2021, thankfully. I feel so bad for everyone who has cruises planned for the next few months. Hopefully Disney will give you a good deal if they cancel, and won't wait until the last minute to cancel.

I'm in Ohio. Our governor just announced that ALL schools are closing starting next Monday until at least April 3. That's a 3 week Spring break for my dd. Her Spring break wasn't suppose to start until the end of March. ACCCKKKKK!!!! Back to the store for more wine(I only bought 2 bottles today). So far we don't have any cases near us, but I'm happy, relieved, and grateful that Governor Dewine is taking this action. It's gonna be a LONNNNNGGG 3 weeks though!!!
We're in the same boat in Ontario! First thing I said was, I gotta stock up on alcohol! :rotfl2:

I’m curious as to why people that are hoping for a cancellation don’t just rebook. Do you never plan on cruising again? I think if I was dead set against sailing. I’d want to reschedule and make new plans and just move on.

I’m curious as to why people that are hoping for a cancellation don’t just rebook. Do you never plan on cruising again? I think if I was dead set against sailing. I’d want to reschedule and make new plans and just move on.

Luckily our next cruise isn't until March 2021. However, if we had a cruise that was being affected right now, we wouldn't be able to just pick another one right away. We took our dd out of school when she was in elementary school for 5 years, but now she's in middle school and we won't take her out anymore. We took her out this past Jan and it was a big mistake. Also my dh has to put in for vacation time 15 months ahead, so when Disney was making people pick within 12 months, we wouldn't be able to within that time frame. My dh can't take vacation time off in the summer, so we are now restricted to when dd has school breaks, which I hate! If we are ever in this situation, I would much prefer a refund. We would still cruise, but those are just a few reasons for us. We don't join any cruise meets or do fish exchanges, so I don't need a lot of planning time.

Luckily our next cruise isn't until March 2021. However, if we had a cruise that was being affected right now, we wouldn't be able to just pick another one right away. We took our dd out of school when she was in elementary school for 5 years, but now she's in middle school and we won't take her out anymore. We took her out this past Jan and it was a big mistake. Also my dh has to put in for vacation time 15 months ahead, so when Disney was making people pick within 12 months, we wouldn't be able to within that time frame. My dh can't take vacation time off in the summer, so we are now restricted to when dd has school breaks, which I hate! If we are ever in this situation, I would much prefer a refund. We would still cruise, but those are just a few reasons for us. We don't join any cruise meets or do fish exchanges, so I don't need a lot of planning time.
There are people that still want to cruise so personally I wouldn’t keep posting over and over I hope they cancel. Not referring to you. I’d just reschedule and move on or keep it to myself. There‘s not one thread on here anymore where you can plan and discuss your cruise without someone telling you it’s not going to happen. Even if you cruise is 6 months away. Its a little depressing.

Rebooking is off the table for us. We won’t be able to cruise within the next 12 months after our date in April. We will go on April 30 if they sail but if not we are waiting for cancelation so we can get a refund

There are people that still want to cruise so personally I wouldn’t keep posting over and over I hope they cancel. Not referring to you. I’d just reschedule and move on or keep it to myself. There‘s not one thread on here anymore where you can plan and discuss your cruise without someone telling you it’s not going to happen. Even if you cruise is 6 months away. Its a little depressing.

I wonder if a lot of those who are hoping for cancelation are just really stressed about what to do about their cruises. If DCL cancels then the decision will be made for them and they won't have to worry about it anymore. After my previous post I remembered that almost all of our 2021 cruise has been paid with Disney gift cards. So if I were to be in this situation of choosing between refund or rebooking it wouldn't matter. The refund would just go back to the gift cards anyway. We won't let this stop us from cruising. We've been on all the ships accept for the Dream, so still have to go on her some day. I'm hoping once the Wish sails the Dream will do some 7nights. I don't even care where it sails, I just want a long cruise. Plus I still want to try out several of the Carnival ships(Vista, Horizon, and Mardi Gras). It is rather depressing seeing only posts about the virus. I've been reading a lot of trip reports instead. Our next cruise is out of Miami. I've never been there, so looking for any kind of info I can find. Where's your next cruise? If it's a new ship/or places you haven't been to before post here if you want. I've found it very helpful and welcoming place. Even if your cruise is on a ship/place you've done before, post here if you want. I'd like to hear about it.

I wonder if a lot of those who are hoping for cancelation are just really stressed about what to do about their cruises. If DCL cancels then the decision will be made for them and they won't have to worry about it anymore. After my previous post I remembered that almost all of our 2021 cruise has been paid with Disney gift cards. So if I were to be in this situation of choosing between refund or rebooking it wouldn't matter. The refund would just go back to the gift cards anyway. We won't let this stop us from cruising. We've been on all the ships accept for the Dream, so still have to go on her some day. I'm hoping once the Wish sails the Dream will do some 7nights. I don't even care where it sails, I just want a long cruise. Plus I still want to try out several of the Carnival ships(Vista, Horizon, and Mardi Gras). It is rather depressing seeing only posts about the virus. I've been reading a lot of trip reports instead. Our next cruise is out of Miami. I've never been there, so looking for any kind of info I can find. Where's your next cruise? If it's a new ship/or places you haven't been to before post here if you want. I've found it very helpful and welcoming place. Even if your cruise is on a ship/place you've done before, post here if you want. I'd like to hear about it.
There's a lot of people that have made up there mind they don't want to cruise. They are upset they're not getting a refund only a cruise credit so they want all cruises canceled. If DCL cancels they get their refund. Our cruise is in August out of Copenhagen. Our original cruise on the Carnival Mardi Gras was canceled 3 months ago because the ship won't be finished on time. So yeah I'd really take this cruise. I can understand not wanting to cruise, but wishing for other people's vacations to be ruined I don't get.

I've cruised out of Miami several times and done a number of Caribean cruises so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter