CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2019 environmental score:
Disney = A-
Carnival = F
Not sure how scientific these rating are, but there are videos of Carnival employees dumping full plastic bags of trash into the ocean. Plus millions in fines for Carnival's environmental crimes. I'll stick with Disney.

When it comes to Carnival: Yes, there is room for lots of improvement. It’s definitely a work in progress. They made a few interesting changes recently, I’m hopeful their 2020 environmental score will be much better.

When it comes to DCL vs CCL score: it’s easier to control 4 ships than 27. Doesn’t mean CCL shouldn’t make more of an effort in that area. I am hopeful that they will make more efforts to get in line with recommendations and will be up there when I sail with them again.

There are some cruise lines (other than DCL) with As in their environmental cards if the environmental scores are a priority. I’ve been experiencing other cruise lines than DCL and CCL since 2018... My husband and my wallet like them more than DCL. I have a soft spot for all of them.

We sadly don't have a Costco or Target. We only have 3 grocery stores and a really old Walmart, so really limited. Once online stores get some, we'll be fine. My dh said he'd get some from work if we get desperate. His company isn't providing him any protection despite putting him in close contact with people who have to fly in from all over the country. We figure the least they can do is give him a few rolls. We have woods behind our house, so we teased our dd that she'll have to go gather leaves, lol!! I'm a huge germaphobe already. I had read that wearing gloves can actually put more germs onto items. So yes, as you said, wash your hands! I've been ordering groceries online and then having them delivered to our house. Sadly they won't let you buy alcohol that way. I just realized we have a drive thru alcohol store in town. I wonder if they are open. Probably not. I can't wait for this to be over. Time to watch Moana again--my make me feel happy movie.
You are probably better off just ordering online. I just get angry every time I go to the grocery store. I feel angry and depressed most of the time now. I saw a survey said only 4% worry about their health during all this. 30% worry about the economy and 30% about social isolation and boredom. Hopefully, the shut down ends soon and we can have something to look forward to like a cruise. I can't wait to go out to lunch. Picking up food and bringing it home is not the same.

You are probably better off just ordering online. I just get angry every time I go to the grocery store. I feel angry and depressed most of the time now. I saw a survey said only 4% worry about their health during all this. 30% worry about the economy and 30% about social isolation and boredom. Hopefully, the shut down ends soon and we can have something to look forward to like a cruise. I can't wait to go out to lunch. Picking up food and bringing it home is not the same.
I am not sure that toilet paper has anything to do with cruising. You guys might want to watch out what you talk about on this cruising only thread. Apparently even topics that impact cruising directly are not allowed. Toilet paper is really a subtopic of the coronavirus issue. So I’m calling foul.

Edit: In Case it gets lost in translation, just want to point out that I am joking!! I don’t care what y’all talk about. It’s all interesting to me. I love to hear different view points. And I am not a controlling person like at least one other person on this thread.

Last edited:
My flights to Berlin we’re just cancelled. I spent an hour on hold to get miles back. It looks like AA’s Europe flights this summer consist of LHR and BCN and that’s it.

Its cheap to fly from London to any city in Europe, but I didn’t rebook anything because I don’t even know if the cruise is sailing. If anything I’d like to switch to the 11 day cruise because they have a great GT rate, but of course everything is in limbo.

They’ve taken the TA and med cruises off the website but haven’t cancelled. Only the Baltic and British Isles cruises remain. I would really love some answers.

I am not sure that toilet paper has anything to do with cruising. You guys might want to watch out what you talk about on this cruising only thread. Apparently even topics that impact cruising directly are not allowed. Toilet paper is really a subtopic of the coronavirus issue. So I’m calling foul.

Edit: In Case it gets lost in translation, just want to point out that I am joking!! I don’t care what y’all talk about. It’s all interesting to me. I love to hear different view points. And I am not a controlling person like at least one other person on this thread.
I went to Costco today to pick up Pizza. They had TP so I bought some. I'm starting to feel like a hoarder. I have enough toilet paper now to last through July. I'm so traumatized by not being able to find toilet paper I feel like I have to buy it every time I see it.

Once this is over and life is back to normal I plan on having enough TP, paper towels, and disinfecting wipes to last a month at all times, lol!! Weird enough, our grocery store got wiped out of pretty much all of the food about 4 weeks ago. But it just took them a few days and they had all the food back in stock. One funny thing when almost all the food was gone is that there was a ton of broccoli in the produce section and nothing else. Luckily we all like broccoli, but I guess no one else in our town does, lol!! Yesterday I came across a couple of the small bottles of the DCL shampoo and conditioner in my closet. I color my hair, so usually I use special shampoo for colored hair. I figured I could use the DCL stuff since I won't color my hair for awhile, no need since I don't go anywhere. Oh my!!! I love the smell of the shampoo and conditioner, but I totally forgot that it doesn't love my hair. It makes my hair very puffy! Thank goodness no one except my family sees me, because my hair looks bad!! But it smells good, lol! Does anyone else get puffy hair from using it? Lol

I was really trying to be as delicate as possible in my reply (I really did the best I could) and I´m really sad that my comment was interpreted the opposite way it was intended to.

I was just trying to encourage everyone to follow the « rules » that @AquaDame gave us a few days ago (March 19, 2020).

On that note, I think I’m gonna take a little break from this thread for a while.

I’ll come back when the crisis is over.

All of you, take care. I hope all of you and your families will be spared and can get back on a ship ASAP.

Last edited:

I was really trying to be as delicate as possible in my reply (I really did the best I could) and I´m really sad that my comment was interpreted the opposite way it was intended to.

I was just trying to encourage everyone to follow the « rules » that @AquaDame gave us a few days ago (March 19, 2020).

On that note, I think I’m gonna take a little break from this thread for a while.

All of you, take care. I hope all of you and your families will be spared and can get back on a ship ASAP.

I appreciated your post on the reminder. Some people posting in this thread, and some others, have their opinions and will state them every time they get a chance, regardless of the rules.

Stay Safe!

Thank you for all your hard work in keeping this thread open and helpful to everyone looking at the possibility of cruising outside of DCL. It’s invaluable and I love having a space to come and talk to people who both love Disney and cruising in general.

I also realize that this thread has to walk a delicate balance because it isn’t purely a DCL conversation here and there are rules to be followed, such as staying on topic as much as possible. I know this is a strange time in our world right now, but hopefully we can keep this thread for what it is meant for...at least the majority of the time!

Once this is over and life is back to normal I plan on having enough TP, paper towels, and disinfecting wipes to last a month at all times, lol!! Weird enough, our grocery store got wiped out of pretty much all of the food about 4 weeks ago. But it just took them a few days and they had all the food back in stock. One funny thing when almost all the food was gone is that there was a ton of broccoli in the produce section and nothing else. Luckily we all like broccoli, but I guess no one else in our town does, lol!! Yesterday I came across a couple of the small bottles of the DCL shampoo and conditioner in my closet. I color my hair, so usually I use special shampoo for colored hair. I figured I could use the DCL stuff since I won't color my hair for awhile, no need since I don't go anywhere. Oh my!!! I love the smell of the shampoo and conditioner, but I totally forgot that it doesn't love my hair. It makes my hair very puffy! Thank goodness no one except my family sees me, because my hair looks bad!! But it smells good, lol! Does anyone else get puffy hair from using it? Lol
Enjoy those hair products . They no longer have the mini tubes. At least they still have the big bottles. Royal has nothing but body wash.

I don’t think anyone is trying to be controlling, we’ve been warned by the moderator to stay on topic. The owners of Dreams Unlimited are very kind to let this thread stay alive, they could have shut it down a long time ago. Different points of view are fantastic, that’s the point of this thread, but the topic is DCL vs other cruise lines, not let’s debate about Covid-19.

Since COVID is the thing that is keeping us from cruising it's hard not to mention it. Now that things aren't appearing as dire as people thought and the CDC's predictions have been lowered. I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about cruising in August. I'm still not optimistic that DCL won't pull the plug on it anyway. There are quite a few Northern European countries that will be opening back up the end of the month. That's also a good sign for Baltic cruises.

I need to call AA and see what the penalties are if I rebook and have to cancel. I've considered a land trip. I'm just not sure a teen would like that. I'm also looking at NCL.

Since COVID is the thing that is keeping us from cruising it's hard not to mention it.

Mentioning it sure, but you and another poster were getting into a very heated argument when I requested this thread stay on topic. You yourself said in one of your replies (that I removed because you were fighting) that if they wanted to discuss the virus there were already several threads discussing it and asked when they were taking a Carnival cruise. Now you're mad at me for agreeing that they should stay on topic? When I was defending you? :confused3

Yes, I'm controlling sometimes. I'm a mod. I wasn't even following this thread until someone reported that argument.

Mentioning it sure, but you and another poster were getting into a very heated argument when I requested this thread stay on topic. You yourself said in one of your replies (that I removed because you were fighting) that if they wanted to discuss the virus there were already several threads discussing it and asked when they were taking a Carnival cruise. Now you're mad at me for agreeing that they should stay on topic? When I was defending you? :confused3

Yes, I'm controlling sometimes. I'm a mod. I wasn't even following this thread until someone reported that argument.
II did not make the controlling comment and I don’t think it was directed at you anyway. I think your really confused about who posted what.
I’m not mad about anything you said

Last edited:
I agree with not debating Covid, but it’s hard not to mention the word when it affects my plans, when I cruise, if I I can fly to my cruise and and which cruise-line I cruise on.
It’s the elephant in the room when talking about any upcoming plans.
Carnival pulled out of Europe. DCL to Be determined. NCL is my only other option.
Any thoughts on NCL would be appreciated.

Since COVID is the thing that is keeping us from cruising it's hard not to mention it. Now that things aren't appearing as dire as people thought and the CDC's predictions have been lowered. I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about cruising in August. I'm still not optimistic that DCL won't pull the plug on it anyway. There are quite a few Northern European countries that will be opening back up the end of the month. That's also a good sign for Baltic cruises.

I need to call AA and see what the penalties are if I rebook and have to cancel. I've considered a land trip. I'm just not sure a teen would like that. I'm also looking at NCL.
Isn’t Denmark planning a phased reopening in the next month?

Not sure if that would involve cruising though...

Isn’t Denmark planning a phased reopening in the next month?

Not sure if that would involve cruising though...
Yes that’s what I read. My cruise is more than 4 months away. Four months is a long time. Geez I just got off a cruise 6 weeks ago and none of this was even being talked about. I can’t believe we’ve only be shut down for 3 weeks. It feels like 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter