Carousel of Progress

DisneyFan79

Daydreaming of Disney :)
Anyone know the fate of the Carousel of Progress. During the past few times I have been to the world it has been closed. I know Disney only opens it during busy times, but I wonder why? Too much cost to keep it going all year long? Not enough guest amusement? The one and only time it was opened I really enjoyed it. And boy does that song stay with you for a while. Any thoughts or comments? :)

Our family was at WDW over the New Year's holiday. We went on CoP as we always do. On one of the busiest days of the year, our theater was only 1/4 full. It seems like people just are not interested anymore in this classic. We make a point of going once per trip. If they can only 1/4 fill it two days before New Year's, can you imagine what it's like at other times?

HBC

It's been closed the last 2 times we've been, but we always hope it will be open. Maybe next week when we are there? I wish it weren't so tucked away. I don't think most guests do it unless they just happen to stumble across it. If they are lucky enough to do that, they really like it. Sadly, it seems that all the remaining "classic" audioanimatronic attractions (e.g. Spaceship Earth) may soon be gone.

I am so bummed about this attraction. I love this attraction but have not experienced it in a long time since it is only open "seasonally." I was mad at Disney for more or less closing this attraction but I now relize that Disney is not to blame. People simply do not go to this attraction very much. I think this is horrible! DisneyFan79, that is interesting that the theater was only 1/4 full during the very busy season. I didn't realize that the attendance was this low. Although, those theaters are pretty big. I wish that they would do something like open this attraction for just an hour a day so as to keep the cost down but also allow those of us who enjoy it to see it. What I fing to be a real slap in the face to this attraction is that it is put in the same category (of attractions open seasonally) as the Timekeeper. Now there is an attraction that I could do without.

I too was there for New Year's Eve this year and since it's my mom's favorite attraction, we saw it twice. Both times we went though (1st time was 12/29, 2nd was 1/2) the theater was almost completely full and when we left there was another large group waiting to get in next. There were still some seats available in our theater (about 2-3 on the ends of the rows), but not enough that I thought the attraction should only be open seasonally. I may just have been there on especially crowded days or times of the day though, as DisneyFan79 said it was only 1/4 full on their visit. Even so, the crowds I saw i think should balance out the 1/4 full shows. After all, it is a continuously running show so how packed can they expect it to be. I think it's definitely worth keeping it open for a few hours each day throughout the year.

Oh no... keep away from this one and do not close it!

I enjoyed it in my teens and has the joy of sharing it with my sons twenty years later.
It is an oldie but goodie and Disney should not get rid of ALL the oldies!

Originally posted by justhat
I too was there for New Year's Eve this year and since it's my mom's favorite attraction, we saw it twice. Both times we went though (1st time was 12/29, 2nd was 1/2) the theater was almost completely full and when we left there was another large group waiting to get in next. There were still some seats available in our theater (about 2-3 on the ends of the rows), but not enough that I thought the attraction should only be open seasonally. I may just have been there on especially crowded days or times of the day though, as DisneyFan79 said it was only 1/4 full on their visit. Even so, the crowds I saw i think should balance out the 1/4 full shows. After all, it is a continuously running show so how packed can they expect it to be. I think it's definitely worth keeping it open for a few hours each day throughout the year.
But unfortunately, the majority of the year this is not true. The greatest part of the year is not busy season and there are not huge crowds waiting to get on. That's the whole point of operating it seasonally.

You seem to be forgetting that prior to going to a seasonal attraction, CoP was open a few hours a day (11am to 5pm) and didn't draw enough people to warrant staying open. That's why it became a seasonal attraction in the first place.

Personally, I'd rather have it as a seasonal attraction than as a permanently closed attraction.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't usually go to the "world" when its really busy. I like to ride everything, but don't like the lines. I like the laid back atmosphere that the value season brings to Disney World. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and make a trip during the peak/holiday season if I ever want to see CoP again huh? haha Maybe they could just open it one day a week and I could go then. Just a thought!!!:) Again thanks for the replies. I think this a great ride that should not be removed!!!

I love this attraction! We last saw it the first week of January this year, and the theater was about as full as Hall of Presidents was when we were there. Both are just not action packed attractions, but are wonderful for their history and "feel good"-ness. My kids, ages 18 and 20, both whine when I say we're going to see COP, but always seem to enjoy the time spent there. Maybe people just don't know enough about it...

I didnt go in during our 2000 trip although my cousin took my 2 daughters....

It wasnt open during our 2002 trip....

It wasnt open during my "girls only" trip a few weeks ago...

I dont anticipate it being open during our end of August family trip either as it is not a busy season (which is why we picked that weeK)....

Not fair.....not fair..

Why cant they advertise it a little more....make it stand out.....mention it is AIR CONDITIONED during summer months!!! Something - anything......boo hoo

Yes,
it mustn't be closed!!! It is my DW's and my favourite attraction and -as stated before- the song stays in your mind for the whole day.

I believe I've read somewhere that also part of the reason why it's closed except for a few busy days is because it's become very expensive and time-consuming to keep in repair. I think a lot of the parts have to be specially made just for that ride and stuff like that. And as an example of what happens with it, during my show on Christmas day, the theater stopped moving when it was supposed to go on to the next stage- it acted like it wanted to for a minute, but didn't. So I think the machinery that makes it operate is probably older and not easily kept up. So we sat through one of the stages twice and then went on to the next one, but I still enjoyed it.

I love CoP. My 3 DD's have grown to love it also. It has so much fun history & just a lot of fun to watch.

I had a great Trivia question that I asked my whole (extended) family last time we were there.

What was the original song they played in CoP when it first opened? Anyone remember? ;)

Even though I was never there when they had the first song, I do know what it is. "Now is the Best Time of Your Life". I do know some trivia!!! Yeah!! It pays to read all the Disney sites!!!:)

It was open Thanksgiving weekend when I was there and I rode it 15 times that weekend!!!!

I love this attraction!!! I am extremely disappointed that they did not even attempt to keep it open for Walt's celebration. I mean, this is one of the few attractions left that Walt had a personal hand and interest in!!!

Yes, the turntable is getting very old and would be very expensive to replace.

As for the original song, the one they are playing now is the original song.

There was another song they played awhile back rehab before last "Now is the Time" or something to that effect, then the last rehab, they returned to Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!!

It's been closed two of the last three trips we've made. Then last year on the Sunday before Easter my DD's and I had just gotten off of the People Mover for the hundredth time and I looked over and the doors to CoP were open and I screamed QUICK! WE"VE GOTTA GO SEE IT...my poor 7 yo didn't know what was going on and I'm pulling my 1 1/2 yo out of the stroller and screaming THis is the one I've told you about....this is what I've been waiting to see for the past three years! Then she knew exactly what I was talking about! HA guess I talk about it a bit too much! Anyway, she loved the ride/show and we walked out of there singing the song for the rest ofthe night. THen she told my 9 yo ds that he missed the best ride at Disney! (he had just waited 70 minutes for SM! Ahhhh fun memories!

The thing is....why isn't it attracting more people. Those that have not seen it can't be able to judge that they don't like it and those that have been always seem to enjoy it. So, why?

Is word of mouth out that it isn't worth seeing? Does Disney not promote it enough? What? If it is only open "occasionally" then that means thousands of people never even get the chance to see it. They in turn can't go home and tell there friends, "be sure and see CoP cause it is really great". It is a self fulfilling prophacy!

I remember going on my first trip with my family in 1983. I had never heard of CoP but we tried to see everything so we went to it. It became the center point of our trip. The reason was the music and the uniqueness of the show. Audience around the stage! Incredible! At the time the music was a tune called, "Now is the Time". (Now is the time, now is the best time, now is the best time of your life) Remember? We drove from Vermont to Florida and sang that song all the way back home. When we got home we told friends about it and they went the next year and now, to this day, we will sit and talk about our trips and start singing the "old" song. Later they went back to "Great big beautiful tomorrow", another brain sticking song. I went through a rough time personally and sometimes, believe it or not, humming that song helped me get through it.

The eventual loss of CoP is a very personal thing to me. There is a connection for me concerning my young family, happy times and wonderful memories. I cannot begin to tell you how sad it makes me to think that it is on its way out and no one at Disney seems to be the least bit concerned. It is a classic, created by Walter himself and needs to be shown respect and loving care. And a pox on those that think it is disposable.
:mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :eek:

we watched the last presentation of this Jan.3 the cm said after this showing they would be closed until summer. hope this helps.. I love this ride.........very WALT. Derinda

Originally posted by goofyernmost
why isn't it attracting more people. Those that have not seen it can't be able to judge that they don't like it and those that have been always seem to enjoy it. So, why?

Is word of mouth out that it isn't worth seeing?

Unfortunately, I really think that some people believe they won't enjoy something that doesn't go up/down, spin, drop, twirl/whirl, go incredibly fast or ultimately be a thrill ride.

I have a BIL & SIL like that. They go to WDW every year & rarely, if ever, do the shows or things like The Great Movie Ride, Ariel, Lion King (you get the picture) :( They say, they are too boring & just not worth their time. They told us The Festival of the Lion King was just OK (what I think is the best show in the world). I can understand it not being a favorite, but just OK - C'mon! :rolleyes: They shrugged their shoulders & walked out of the theatre.

Anyway, my point is that I don't think everyone can appreciate those type of attractions & they don't give them the chance by ever trying them. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter