Cast iron skillet

This is my issue - LOL What maintenance is involved?

I guess we all have different ways of cleaning your skillet, but they all seem to say stay away from water. I only use mine for southern cornbread and I just scrap it off and wipe it with a paper towel. Sometimes I put some oil on it if it needs it. It is well seasoned and I love it. In the south, they way some suggested seasoning was to oil it and toss it into a fire!!! I never did that, but put oil on it and put it in the oven - several times,and it worked plus using it alot:) You will love yours. I almost forgot, you must get a good, solid, heavy pan (non of the cheaper lighter ones)

Can you use a cast iron skillet on a glass top electric stovetop? I realize it could scratch it if you slide it on top of the stovetop.

For those of you who love your cast iron skillets this is funny. It's kinda long, but pretty good. It may be distrubing to cast iron lovers, especially southerners.

For those of you who love your cast iron skillets this is funny. It's kinda long, but pretty good. It may be distrubing to cast iron lovers, especially southerners.

Ha, I forgot about that. It's been in all the BBQ threads on my other forums (not all BBQ related forums.)

Can you use a cast iron skillet on a glass top electric stovetop? I realize it could scratch it if you slide it on top of the stovetop.
Sure why not. I use a skillet regularly on my glass topped induction hob; no scratches.

Sure why not. I use a skillet regularly on my glass topped induction hob; no scratches.
Yup, don't slam it down and don't slide it. Sadly, some can't figure that out, thus the "you can't use cast iron on a glass stovetop" common mantra.

OP here, my Lodge skillet was delivered yesterday....LOL Now what? I re-read this thread and I'm going to put some oil on it and put in oven? Correct?

Side story: I have an amazon credit, so I bought it on amazon and for the last two days I've been getting fed ex notification that a Walmart package was coming to me.....checked the walmart app and there's NOTHING there. Nice size Walmart box is on my front porch with my name on it, I cautiously open....and its my Lodge skillet that was ordered via Amazon....weird.

OP here, my Lodge skillet was delivered yesterday....LOL Now what? I re-read this thread and I'm going to put some oil on it and put in oven? Correct?

Side story: I have an amazon credit, so I bought it on amazon and for the last two days I've been getting fed ex notification that a Walmart package was coming to me.....checked the walmart app and there's NOTHING there. Nice size Walmart box is on my front porch with my name on it, I cautiously open....and its my Lodge skillet that was ordered via Amazon....weird.
They are preseasoned. If you want to sand it all off and put a proper seasoning on, then look on Youtube. Else, just cook, preferably bacon as your first time cooking with it.

I would wash it first because I’m weird that way but just by hand with some dish soap and a sponge, Then dry it over a low flame, cool and coat with a thin coat of oil and heat it up in the oven...about 350 degrees.
Welcome to the wonderful world of CI cookery and may there be joy in every dish you make!🙂

Thank you -such a lovely sentiment (hugs)
Now a cleaning question LOL I fried a couple things - nothing crazy just playing around...am I supposed to scrub off those little black burnt/cripsy pieces on the pan? It not food - its the char. Does that make ANY sense?

Remember that cold water is your friend when cleaning up after cooking eggs 🙂. Put a little in the bottom of the pan, soak, dump, and then wipe out. Kosher salt clean up followed by a thin coating of baked in oil is fine for a new pot.

Thank you -such a lovely sentiment (hugs)
Now a cleaning question LOL I fried a couple things - nothing crazy just playing around...am I supposed to scrub off those little black burnt/cripsy pieces on the pan? It not food - its the char. Does that make ANY sense?
I take the chain mail scrubber, and lightly run it around the pan while running warm water through it. Put it back on a low flame, put some oil in it, let the oil heat up, turn the flame off, give it a minute use a good paper towel to spread around the oil.
They are preseasoned. If you want to sand it all off and put a proper seasoning on, then look on Youtube. Else, just cook, preferably bacon as your first time cooking with it.
I only cook bacon in mine for the first dozen or so uses, maybe hamburgers. You want that good flavorful grease and oil to seep into the pan.

This is pretty timely. I got my first cast iron skillet a few months ago and EVERY SINGLE TIME I use it it smokes really bad (to the point that we turn off our smoke alarm system because it will 100% go off). Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? I love how the steaks turn out but am sick of trying to cook in a smoky kitchen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter