Celebrity related - State investigating amid reports cruise ship sailed too close to Kauai’s Na Pali Coast

brentm77

DIS Veteran
This isn't DCL specific, but I found it interesting from a cruising perspective. I am supposed to be on this ship in August, in Alaska. There are reports that you can see sand being kicked up by the ship because it is so close to the coast in Hawaii. The below picture seems to show it too. I can't decide if it is as dangerous as it seems. I know I have seen sand kicked up from the floor in multiple ports, which we know are safe for the ships, and suspect the water is deeper there than people think. But it will be interesting to see what the investigation uncovers and whether it is harmful to the ecosystem in the area. I am sure it was one heck of a view.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2024/...-sailed-close-shore-off-kauais-na-pali-coast/

1714768752535.png

The citizens of Kauai look out for their land. Kudos.

It does seem rather close for a cruise ship. I wonder if our catamaran expedition even got that close.

I think we would be / should be concerned to know how our pleasure rides are messing with the oceans we so enjoy …and yet I have kept cruising.

I’ve noticed the silt being stirred up when we leave various ports.

The NCL Pride of America which does 7 night cruises between the islands doesn’t even cruise the Napali coast anymore. I was shocked to see how close this ship was.

Having navigated the Hawaiian waters on vessels of comparative size, I'd be out of my mind with nerves and anger if my navigation team took this ship that close to Kauai. So many rocks waiting to rip open your hull. Its not a good thing when hull meets ground,

I'm not familiar with the area in question -- what is under the water in the lower right corner of the picture? Or is that a reflection of some sort? Or maybe it's just the angle of the picture, it just looks off to me.

I'm not familiar with the area in question -- what is under the water in the lower right corner of the picture? Or is that a reflection of some sort? Or maybe it's just the angle of the picture, it just looks off to me.
Looks to be reflection from inside of the helicopter this photo was taken from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter