Cell Phones in Alaska

We have t moble and went to
Alaska. I did several chats since our plan has free international text and roaming.
I even had my DD to call just didn’t want to come home to a high bill
But when we got home everything was great except the texts to my friend for some reason we were charged for those texts. At first I thought since she has an android phone but so does my DS and no problems with his phone

I did cal t moble they couldn’t figure it out either but refunded the cost
Was no issues at all
I also took a screenshot of the chat messages so I’d have a record of what I was told

I have T-Mobile and had good coverage in all the Alaska ports. My cruise didn't leave from Vancouver, so I can't speak for there.

Be aware that if you're on the ship in port, your phone will still connect to the ship's cell tower instead of those on land, so you'll still be charged as if you were using data from sea. Wait until you're across the parking lot from the ship to take your phone off airplane mode.

Be aware that if you're on the ship in port, your phone will still connect to the ship's cell tower instead of those on land, so you'll still be charged as if you were using data from sea. Wait until you're across the parking lot from the ship to take your phone off airplane mode.

This doesn't sound right - at least with Verizon. We have used our phones in a dozen different ports, in the Caribbean, Puerto Rico, Florida, Italy, and Greece, and it has always gone through the land towers and fallen under our U.S. or international plan. I think the phones know to connect to land towers when that is an option and prioritize that.

This doesn't sound right - at least with Verizon. We have used our phones in a dozen different ports, in the Caribbean, Puerto Rico, Florida, Italy, and Greece, and it has always gone through the land towers and fallen under our U.S. or international plan. I think the phones know to connect to land towers when that is an option and prioritize that.
Tell that to my cell phone bill, which charged me $12 for a short call from my balcony.

Tell that to my cell phone bill, which charged me $12 for a short call from my balcony.

Crazy? How long ago? It sounds like an issue with the cell phone more than anything. If the phone is getting a normal signal from land, it should pick that over a roaming option. Like I said, we have had zero problems, and we even use them inside of the ship at the ports. Most phones will give you a warning before roaming the first time too.

I remember reading that ship tower had to be disconnected when close to land. Maybe this was relevant only to Europe.

In any case, good to know. Personally, I don't trust myself with changing settings on my phone when on a ship; I always go to Cellular, Network Selection, and disable Automatic. This way I have to pick the network myself, and no chance I pick the one from the ship. (Only hassle is that I have to change it when moving from a country to another, but it's a minor inconvenience.)

Crazy? How long ago? It sounds like an issue with the cell phone more than anything. If the phone is getting a normal signal from land, it should pick that over a roaming option. Like I said, we have had zero problems, and we even use them inside of the ship at the ports. Most phones will give you a warning before roaming the first time too.
Summer 2022, I was definitely surprised. I usually allow roaming since I live near the border with Canada, but my phone includes Canada.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter