• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cell reception in Alaska

88golf88

DisneyKid@27
What is cell reception like, both on land and in the ports, in Alaska while on the Wonder? Just a normal US cell phone plan will work since its in the states, correct?

We found reception in the ports was pretty good. Along the coast is sometimes ok, sometimes nothing.

As far as your cell plan goes, there are so many variations that you really need to check with your carrier.

What is cell reception like, both on land and in the ports, in Alaska while on the Wonder? Just a normal US cell phone plan will work since its in the states, correct?

I'm not sure which port you're referencing so I'll answer to what I have knowledge of.
We fly to Anchorage every year. My husband is from there. No issues with AT&T in Anchorage on land or in the port there. But when we went down to Whittier (a port for cruise ships which sometimes the cruise lines like to reference as "Anchorage") for a day cruise, in June of this year to see the fjords, I did see a reduction of my cell service. And then once we were out and into the fjords we had no cell service for quite some time. Hope this helps! Alaksa is AMAZING!

We have AT&T and reception in ports was fine. One warning, as we were approaching Ketchikan (we could see the dock) I took my phone out of airplane mode and saw I had LTE so I did a few things like check email. When I got my bill I found out the LTE wasn’t from land, it was some kind of “connect at sea” nonsense so I was charged like $15 for my data usage. I didn’t even know that was possible. I probably could have called to dispute the charge but didn’t want to deal with it.

T Mobile......charges apply to our plan.
Roaming
Vancouver airport we would text for free but calls cost

Vancouver does have modern cellular reception.
  • reception is limited, but available on the South inside passage along Vancouver island
  • you get about 30 minutes of reception when you sail past Prince Rupert
  • there is a deadzone between Prince Rupert and Port Hardy
  • there is a deadzone between Prince Rupert and Ketchikan
  • having oceanview and balconies will get better reception than inside cabins
  • go to the top deck outside if are with an inside cabin or a cabin that faces the Pacific to get reception
  • pay attention to your phone settings. Consider manual carrier selection to avoid locking onto the ship's cellular service.

AT&T service is fine in the Alaska ports. Most cell service comes and goes in the passage, depending on where you are. Be wary of using your phone in Canada. If you are out of cell service put your phone on airplane mode so you can use the web functions but not cell. Your phone will keep looking for a signal when there isn't one available and drain the battery prematurely.

Bringing this back to life as an FYI. I called Sprint/T-Mobile (we were Sprint customers) yesterday (2/7/22) and data/voice are available in Canada as part of our plan. I don't want to call anyone but I want to be able to send pictures!

While standing in the United States you can call and text Canada at no additional cost. Once in Canada it is $5 per day.
I know this is an older thread but I wanted to point out this is NOT necessarily true; it depends on location of the cell tower that pings your text or call. We live in the US one town south of the CAN border. DH often has work that takes him near the border without crossing, but he frequently gets dinged for "international" charges because the closest cell tower was in Canada even though he was in the US.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter