Central Italy July09

We have a group of 18 adults (so far) on June 5 - I'm so excited about this one! There's still room for a few more if anyone is interested! :)

Dotti

what is the central italy tour? i haven't seen that one.

It's Bella Italia. It starts out with three nights in Sorrento with side trips to Capri, Amalfi, Positano, Pompeii.. followed by four nights in the heart of Florence (only blocks from the Uffizi Gallery) with visits to Siena, Lucca and Pisa. We're arriving two nights early because the Sorrento hotel looks amazing, and I'm also hoping to find the town near Naples where my grandparents were from.

So far, on the June 5 trip, we have 20 adults and no children. I think that we're a fun bunch if anyone wants to join us! And our ages range from 21 to 74 so there will always be someone walking at your speed. ;) I only have two rooms left with my group rates, but those should be gone by the weekend so I'm not trying to "sell" anything here. I'm pretty sure the remaining 2-3 rooms are open to anyone.

Ever since the Viva Italia trip, I've been dreaming of Italy. I'm so looking forward to this!

Dotti

We're arriving two nights early because the Sorrento hotel looks amazing, and I'm also hoping to find the town near Naples where my grandparents were from.

Ciao Dotti!

What town near Naples would that be? My grandfather was born in Felitto, Salerno, Campania, Italia. Other family members are from Roccadaspide in the same area.

Ciao Dotti!

What town near Naples would that be? My grandfather was born in Felitto, Salerno, Campania, Italia. Other family members are from Roccadaspide in the same area.

My grandfather was born in Marzano Appio, which is also in Campania, around 30 miles northwest of Naples. Seems Felitto is to the south, so we're probably not related. ;)

My 93-year-old aunt (the only one left standing out of eight!) is trying to find out where my grandmother came from. I didn't realize that they met and married in the U.S.

Not sure we'll get to visit Marzano Appio, but it would really be cool. And I visit Lebanon with my husband, so he owes me. :)

Dotti

I am very interested in taking my sister on the Bella Italia trip. Do you think there is still room on the June 5th trip?

Thanks!

I am very interested in taking my sister on the Bella Italia trip. Do you think there is still room on the June 5th trip?

Thanks!

There are defiitely at least two rooms left, although both are triples. I'd have to check that I can switch one for a double room. We have 20 adults so far, and as far as I know, it wasn't opened up to the general public. (If you call AbD directly, it will likely show as not being available but that is because the whole date is contracted to me.) Airfare has dropped considerably, too!

We're a fun group and two more would just make us merrier. :)

Dotti

Thank you for your prompt response!
Being that you contracted the whole date, is this group of 20 all related, is this a family reunion of sorts?
Also, how would I go about booking this trip?

Thank you again!

Thank you for your prompt response!
Being that you contracted the whole date, is this group of 20 all related, is this a family reunion of sorts?
Also, how would I go about booking this trip?

Thank you again!

Back in 2006, my husband and I did our first AbD trip -- Viva Italia. It was an adult-only trip and out of the 30-something people on the trip, about 70% of us are still in touch! A few of us have done trips together since, in 2007 and 2008, but we've talked a while about doing a "reunion" trip. That's how all of this started.

Out of the 20, six are my family and one son's girlfriend. I'm my own best client. :) Some of the remaining are from the Viva trip -- we had at least 10 more people interested but a number of logistical issues got in the way. I also have clients from other trips who have become friends, and they make up four of the group.

So, that was a long story to say that some of us (10 or so) know each other, but the rest know a few but not all. We range in age from 21 to 73 and I think we're 50/50 in terms of gender. We only have a few couples, with the rest being mother/daughter, father/daughter, sister/brother. I have one single woman in her 60s who would love a roommate if anyone knows someone!

I don't think I'm allowed to put contact info on the boards, but you should be able to find my email address by clicking on my user name. If not, just google "Dotti" and "Adventures by Disney" and you should find some way to contact me. :)

Dotti

Thanks Dotti, I received your PM and sent you an email (I can't send PMS back since I'm a new user).

Talk to you soon!

Hi Dotti -

Wish I could come with you - it sounds like a wonderful time! And I agree - since my Viva trip last summer I've been dreaming of Italy too! Next time I go to Europe (not sure when that will be) I'm adding a few days in Venice - I can't get enough.

:flower3:

dottie, i am so excited to be going back to italy with abd again! i'll see in sorrento on the 4th.:thumbsup2

I can't believe we actually fly out tomorrow! We added two pre-nights in Sorrento so I can catch up on a little sleep when I get there. (Right.. who am I kidding? LOL)

After counting the days for so, so long, it's finally here -- woohoo! I'm hearing reports from last week that this is one of the best AbD tours yet!

Photos will follow... hopefully a trip report if I have the energy...

Dotti

I can't believe we actually fly out tomorrow! We added two pre-nights in Sorrento so I can catch up on a little sleep when I get there. (Right.. who am I kidding? LOL)

After counting the days for so, so long, it's finally here -- woohoo! I'm hearing reports from last week that this is one of the best AbD tours yet!

Dotti

Have a wonderful fun time but I know you will. I'll be interested to see how you define BEST ABD tour.

Any tips for the Southwest Splendors trip in August?

Sandy
What kind of tips are you looking for? :) I can't help with August, but I can help with Southwest Splendors!

Dotti
Dottie, have a wonderful time! I'm really looking forward to your trip report!

Sayhello

Sayhello - I started to read your trip report but then stopped because I'm the type that likes to be surprised - but of course, that desire is battling with my need to be prepared!

I am wondering if the hikes are really long and/or challenging. I'm not in particularly good shape, and DH's knee sometimes hurts him... (oh, we sound old) but I have reassured him that these trips are for everyone and so it couldn't be that hard! I actually got myself and DD11 some Northface light hikers, as my existing sneakers are pretty beat up.

I also wondered if you had suggestions for free time, restaurants, or "excursions" (don't know what to call the extra stuff you do on this trip).

Any suggestions are welcome!

Sayhello - I started to read your trip report but then stopped because I'm the type that likes to be surprised - but of course, that desire is battling with my need to be prepared!

I am wondering if the hikes are really long and/or challenging. I'm not in particularly good shape, and DH's knee sometimes hurts him... (oh, we sound old) but I have reassured him that these trips are for everyone and so it couldn't be that hard! I actually got myself and DD11 some Northface light hikers, as my existing sneakers are pretty beat up.

I also wondered if you had suggestions for free time, restaurants, or "excursions" (don't know what to call the extra stuff you do on this trip).

Any suggestions are welcome!
The "hike" in Red Rocks State Park (near Sedona) is really just a nature walk. No problems. Very leisurely pace, and nothing too strenous.

The only other real hike is to Delicate Arch. It is a long hike, over open, exposed areas. Not a lot of elevation gain, or strenuous in that way, but the surface itself is challenging because there's not a huge amount of traction. That said, the guides were fabulous about taking it slow for those who needed it, breaking things up, taking rests, etc. We had one "older" gentleman who thought he wasn't going to be able to make it, but they coaxed him, and worked with him, and he did! And was glad he did! That said, you really don't have to decide until the moment of the hike if you want to do the hike or take the bus tour (the bus drops the people off for the hike, then continues on for the tour.) I think if you discuss your concerns with the guides, they can give you a better idea of whether they think you could make it or not. They are great that way.

In Sedona, lots of people liked the "Cowboy Club". We didnt' go there, we went to a little diner that was only OK. The lunch at Tlaquepaque, we ate at the Secret Garden Cafe. (The guides & bus driver ate there, too. That's usually a good indicator!) The food was really great. I've heard mixed reviews about the service there, but ours was fine. Lovely salads & sandwiches.

In Moab, we ate lunch at a shop called "The Peace Tree" (the guides ate there, also) that served really great wraps. Those were really the only "on your own" meals we had where there was really much choice. Nothing really fancy.

As far as the extra excursions are concerned, I did the helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon. It is very pricey, but something you should probably do once in your life. Our guide, Chris, made the arrangements for us. You aren't there for enough time, or at the right times, really, to do the mule ride at the Grand Canyon. Although that may have changed, since you guys are actually staying *at* the Canyon, and don't have the transportation time. There really isn't much else "excursion-wise" there.

In Moab, lots of people did the "Hummer tour". They *really* seemed to enjoy that. That was arranged through the resort. I've seen other trip reports mention ATV riding, but that wasn't offered when I was there. I went hiking in the hills around the Resort... gorgeous!

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions, or need more detail!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter