Changes to Disability Access Service - DAS Advance Video Chat + book 2 rides per day in advance & book return times in MDE - all available NOW!

Liquidice

DIS Veteran
UPDATE: You can now request a live video chat with a CM to sign up for DAS and make your 2 DAS pre-selections per day, https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/register/ is the link to register.

CONFIRMED: DAS will allow you to select return times via the MDE app starting 10/19/21.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/g...-service/?CMP=ILC-DPFY21Q4wo0812210818210024C
The biggest changes are that you will be able to do a video call with a Cast Member to obtain for DAS up to 30 days before your trip begins! If you qualify, it sounds like that CM will also be able to pre-book up to 2 DAS experiences per day for you, where you will be able to go to that ride at a particular hour (almost like the old Fastpass+ system).

You'll also be able to use the MDE app to obtain a return time for a ride instead of needing to go to the ride to get the return time (although you can still do that). It says you'll also be able to change or delete a return time as well in MDE!

Details on the Live Chat:
  • Only for trips starting 11/1/21 and later.
  • Live chat is available from 7:00 AM – 11:00 PM 10:00 PMEastern Time.
  • The recording of this video chat is not permitted.
  • The Guest requesting DAS (or their parent/guardian) must be 18 years of age or older to register. The Guest requesting to use DAS must be present during the video call.
  • If you've not logged in to your Disney account, you'll be prompted to log in. If you don’t have a Disney account, you’ll need to create one before continuing.
  • Video chat is screen reader-friendly for Guests with visual disabilities and available with text chat for Guests with hearing disabilities.
  • At this time, live chat is offered in English only.
Details on the pre-selected rides:

IMPORTANT: DAS Advance planning does not allow you to pre-select rides more than 30 days in advance like with ADRs or the old FP+ system where it took into account your resort stay. In this case, if you want to pre-select all of your days in advance, you must do so at the 30 day mark of your LAST park day. Otherwise you will have to wait on hold to chat with a CM and do the live video again.

If you’ve pre-registered via live video chat, you’re eligible to pre-select up to 2 one-hour return windows for select experiences (subject to availability) using our new DAS Advance planning option as early as 30 days prior to a park visit. These selections are in addition to the return times you can request throughout the day of your actual park visit.

• Before you make plans, ensure that every member of your party has valid park admission as well as a valid theme park reservation via the Disney Park Pass system.
  • DAS Advance selections must be made between 2 and 30 days prior to the park visit. If you’re scheduling for multiple days, please note that all days must fall within the 2-to-30-day planning period.
  • DAS Advance experience access is subject to available inventory and is not guaranteed.
  • There is a maximum of 2 DAS Advance selections permitted per day and specific experiences are subject to availability.
  • DAS Advance selections are valid for use only on the date chosen.
  • DAS Advance selections cannot be transferred.
  • The registered Guest utilizing DAS needs to be present at the time of a DAS Advance selection redemption.
  • Guests who do not register pre-arrival will not be able to make attraction selections in advance of the first day of their visit.
  • DAS is valid for up to 60 days. After this time period, Guests will need to re-register for the program.

More details on pre-selecting a ride: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/plan/

List of attractions available for DAS pre-selection:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/f...lities/attractions-available-for-das-advance/
It seems like the list of attractions match with Genie+ attractions, so as expected any Individual Lightning Lane Selections (ILL$) like Rise of the Resistance, 7DMT etc are not included in DAS pre-selection. However, you can still get a DAS Return time for these rides.

I think with paid Fastpass coming - this may open the door for abuse of the DAS system, but Disney has noted if you're caught abusing the DAS system you will be banned from the parks! 😲

What happens if any of the statements made by a Guest in the process of registering for DAS are found to be not true?
If Disney determines that any of the statements a Guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true, the Guest will be permanently barred from entering Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort, and any previously purchased annual passes, Magic Key passes, tickets and other park products and services will be forfeited and not refunded.

My Personal Experience with the Live Video Chat

I waited 6 hours, 36 minutes to speak to someone (from 7:03am until 1:39pm). The entire length of my call including chat and video was 26 minutes. The chat does not give you any regular indication that you're on hold. Occasionally you may receive some kind of message that the wait times are long and to try again a different day if you can. When a person finally joined the chat - they said hello, and you just need to type back to them to start things off. He asked how he could help me and I told him I wanted to sign up for DAS. I was asked to fill out a form that the CM will link to - which asks for your name, phone number, address, MDE email address and reservation number. Then the CM will initiate the video chat. The video chat seemed to work fine on my laptop, I have not tried it on a phone or tablet, but others have reported it worked for them. Your browser may ask you to allow permission to access the microphone and webcam. Once on video chat, the CM asked what my reason for needing DAS was. I explained my situation to him, there was not any additional scrutiny beyond what a CM would ask you in person - no request to see a doctor's note or proof or anything of that sort. After he added DAS to my profile, the CM then looked at my Park Passes and asked me which rides I would like to pre-select based on my Park Pass for that day. I was offered times like 10am, 10:30am, 12pm, 12:30pm, 5pm, 5:30pm. Based on what others have experienced as well as myself, there do not seem to be additional times right now other than these. I did find out (and it is noted above) that you cannot make pre-selections for 30 days + your resort stay. It is only available 30 days out period, meaning if you don't want to wait on hold and do it every single day - you are better off chatting 30 days from the last day of your trip so you can make all of your pre-selections at once.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I register using DAS Advance?
Follow this link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/register/

2. What if I have multiple trips planned within 60 days?
You must chat with a DAS CM once for each trip, if you want to pre-select rides. If you only want to use DAS with return times, you can simply register ahead of time once and it will remain active for 60 days.

3. Can I book DAS Advance Selections for 30 days + the length of my resort stay?
No, when I chatted with a CM, I was told I could only make my DAS Advance Selections 30 days in advance. This is different than the way ADRs and previously FP+ worked. The DAS Advance selections can currently only be booked via Video Chat with a CM. This may change over time, but currently you should ideally book your DAS Advance Selections 30 days from the LAST day of your trip to ensure you can make all of your selections at 1 time.

4. I'm in the chat but nothing is happening, how long will I have to wait?
I waited 6 hours and 36 minutes to finally talk to someone - during that time I only got a response once in awhile from the chatbot to say that hold times were very long and they recommend trying again closer to your actual travel date. Sending messages in the chat did not seem to hurt or help anything - although on mobile devices like phones and tablets it may help to send a message every few minutes as I found on my iPad the chat would disconnect and I would get a message as if it were the first message I sent if I sat idle for too long. I never got through on my iPad so I don't know if I actually lost my place in the queue when that happened.

5. When will I be able to select DAS return times in MDE?
It has not been officially confirmed by Disney, but multiple journalists and websites have reported it will launch on 10/19/21 when Genie, Genie+ and ILL$ launch.

6. What rides are available for DAS Advance planning (aka DAS Advance Selections)?
The list of rides are the same rides included with Genie+. No rides for Individual Lightning Lane Selection (ILL$) where you must pay to skip the line are available for DAS Advance Selection. The full list of rides are available here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/f...lities/attractions-available-for-das-advance/

7. Can I still use DAS return times for ILL$ rides such as 7DMT, FOP and Rise of the Resistance?
Yes for rides with a traditional queue, you can still get a return time for ILL$ rides such as 7DMT, FOP and Rise of the Resistance. For rides with a virtual queue (currently Remy's Ratatouille Adventure) - you must have a virtual boarding pass to ride. If you also have DAS, you can ask the CM when you enter and they may allow you to use the Lightning Lane entrance to shorten your wait.

8. For DAS Advance Selections, do I need to use these before I can book a DAS return time?
DAS Advance Selections are treated separately from DAS return times. You do not need to use them before booking a DAS return time. Therefore you could potentially hold 3 "skip the line" passes from DAS, 1 DAS return time and 2 DAS Advance Selections. If you opt to buy Genie+ you could hold 4 at a time, and if you bought 2 ILL$ passes you could hold 6 "skip the line" passes at once.

9. How do DAS Advance Selections and DAS return times differ?
DAS Advance Selections work similarly to the old FastPass+ system. At 2 to 30 days before your visit you can book 2 DAS Advance Selections, the CM will offer you a few different time windows for your selection. For example if you chose 10am, you will have 1 hour to visit the ride and ride using the Lightning Lane (10am - 11am). If you do not visit by 11am, the pass will expire.

DAS return times are selected day of, we don't know exactly how they will work yet in MDE - but currently you visit the ride and talk to the CM outside of the queue and ask for a return time. The CM will scan your Magicband/key to the world card/Magic Mobile and after verifying you have DAS on your profile, they will ask who else will be riding with you from your party and then give you a time to return. In MDE, a pass will show up with a time to return. This return time is based on the current standby wait time (usually minus 10 minutes). Presumably when you book using MDE, you will be given the option to return at a specific time for a particular ride. A DAS return time pass only expires at the end of the day. So if the return time is for 10am, you can still go back to the ride anytime after 10am and use the Lightning Lane. You can only hold 1 return time pass at a time.

Last edited:
As a person who uses DAS, I am thrilled at the new changes. Having to rush to guest services first thing on the first morning to get the pass was always kind of a pain and anxiety-inducing, and unlike the kiosks at Disneyland where you could get return times easily, having to trek alllll the way across the park or weave through weird line areas (like in Pandora) was really frustrating, especially since it meant having to visit each attraction at least twice: once to get a time and once to return to it.

However, I'm definitely concerned that this will mean a lot more people trying to abuse the system. There will always be a non-zero number of people who want to take advantage by lying/cheating, but the more perks you add to something more tempting it becomes for people. And when that happens, it does increase the lines for the people who really need the DAS.

As a person who uses DAS, I am thrilled at the new changes. Having to rush to guest services first thing on the first morning to get the pass was always kind of a pain and anxiety-inducing, and unlike the kiosks at Disneyland where you could get return times easily, having to trek alllll the way across the park or weave through weird line areas (like in Pandora) was really frustrating, especially since it meant having to visit each attraction at least twice: once to get a time and once to return to it.

However, I'm definitely concerned that this will mean a lot more people trying to abuse the system. There will always be a non-zero number of people who want to take advantage by lying/cheating, but the more perks you add to something more tempting it becomes for people. And when that happens, it does increase the lines for the people who really need the DAS.

Yeah, I do think abuse will be a bigger issue now with Genie+ costing money. I wonder if they will be upping their requirements to obtain DAS or not, will they ask more questions? It definitely will be interesting to see.

Hopefully the DAS guests will not be given free access to the Lightning + rides...for these rides they should have to pay just like everyone else.

DAS guests have to wait the amount of time required for the standby line, so if the standby line is 120 minutes, you still need to wait 120 minutes and then when you return you can use the Lightning Lane. So I do think they will be allowed to use it for Tier 1 rides. For many, that would be the only way to ride those Tier 1 attractions because they cannot wait in the long standby line.

DAS guests have to wait the amount of time required for the standby line, so if the standby line is 120 minutes, you still need to wait 120 minutes and then when you return you can use the Lightning Lane. So I do think they will be allowed to use it for Tier 1 rides. For many, that would be the only way to ride those Tier 1 attractions because they cannot wait in the long standby line.
Yes the whole point is access. I’m waiting, often longer than my return time, but people don’t see that part.

Well it says you can select 2 experiences in advance...so it seems like that would not be subject to the in park waits. It sounds like DAS guests will essentially be getting 2 lightning passes that with an earlier selection window than anyone else gets. If this is valid for the lightning passes that others are paying for there is a huge incentive for abuse. If the DAS advance selection is only for "tier 2" rides then that would be reasonable. Also, hopefully the DAS return times are as long as the standby lines and not the same as the Genie+ return times.

The whole system is now ripe for abuse though, as everything is done virtually. It is much easier for a lot of people to lie when they do not have to walk up to someones face and lie to them. With the new system the DAS guests are also essentially getting Genie+ and possibly the lightning lane passes for free so there is a huge monetary incentive for people to attempt to obtain DAS. Also they are getting to prebook 2 experiences while people who are paying for Genie+ only get one at a time. The threat of banning people from the parks is an empty one because Disney will never be able to prove this. Hopefully they require some sort of proof above and beyond what someone claims on a video chat to substantiate the need for disability access.

Last edited:
Well it says you can select 2 experiences in advance...so it seems like that would not be subject to the in park waits. It sounds like DAS guests will essentially be getting 2 lightning passes that with an earlier selection window than anyone else gets. If this is valid for the lightning passes that others are paying for there is a huge incentive for abuse. If the DAS advance selection is only for "tier 2" rides then that would be reasonable. Also, hopefully the DAS return times are as long as the standby lines and not the same as the Genie+ return times.

The whole system is now ripe for abuse though, as everything is done virtually. It is much easier for a lot of people to lie when they do not have to walk up to someones face and lie to them. With the new system the DAS guests are also essentially getting Genie+ and possibly the lightning lane passes for free so there is a huge monetary incentive for people to attempt to obtain DAS. Also they are getting to prebook 2 experiences while people who are paying for Genie+ only get one at a time. The threat of banning people from the parks is an empty one because Disney will never be able to prove this. Hopefully they require some sort of proof above and beyond what someone claims on a video chat to substantiate the need for disability access.

Yes, by definition DAS return times are as long as the standby lines, minus 10 minutes to allow for the fact that then we have to stand in the formerlyFP/Genie+ line for about that long. We don't get instant access to anything. The whole point is that we're waiting, just not in an environment that is dangerous or harmful for us.

As for the potential for increased abuse...believe me when I say that some people have no qualms about lying to someone's face! The fact that you have to care enough to do all of this in advance (setting up the video chat a month ahead of time, doing the chat, etc.) will hopefully deter some opportunists. Reality is that most people were either unaware DAS existed or were certainly unaware of how it worked/what it covered unless they or someone they knew needed/used it, so I doubt it's going to be a mad rush to abuse DAS now. A handful of people "in the know" who lack scruples will go for it, but I doubt it'll be everyone who goes to the parks. Look at how many people didn't know that DAS folks were the ones using the otherwise-empty FP+ lanes and had to ask; those people won't be setting up appointments to scam Disney as a Genie workaround.

The issue with requiring "proof" is multi-fold.

First, there is no such thing as unfakeable proof. Look at the issues with faked vaccine cards!

Second, the ADA says that a person can't be required to disclose their condition(s) in order to receive accommodations, only the ways in which the accommodations will help them.

Third, any type of proof they could request would be both over-inclusive and under-inclusive for DAS purposes. DAS isn't designed to cover ALL medical conditions, only those people for whom waiting in the designated queue line causes significant problems. Many medical conditions vary wildly between people in terms of whether DAS would apply. For example, kids on the Spectrum. Some are fine waiting in line - and are encouraged to do so by their friends/family as a way to learn necessary life skills. Others cannot wait in line, have no concept of time, and will melt down if they see a ride but can't go ride it now. If instead of a needs-based system, DAS went to a diagnosis-based system, then both groups would get on the ride...or potentially not. Because not everyone who has needs has the necessary diagnosis or paperwork to prove those needs. I have been trying to get a diagnosis for 14 years and still don't have one. I have a lot of tests showing things I don't have, I have a wheelchair I need to use because I have legs that don't work right, but if I needed to bring a doctor's note saying "This is what Fabfemmeboy has that entitles him to a DAS," I literally couldn't do it. I also have several symptoms that cause problems - for me and people around me - if I need to wait in the regular queue. Requiring proof would take DAS away from me...but not take it away from someone who has a diagnosis but not a need.

Moreover...my doctors went to school for a really long time to be able to understand these medical conditions they're weighing. A CM hasn't. If the CM sees a letter from my doctor that says "Fabfemmeboy has PNES with postictal paralysis," how in the world is that CM going to know what that means I need from them? Is that something that a DAS would help? That qualifies for a DAS at all? Is that even a set of words that go together and mean anything?

I get the instinct to want people to need to prove that they should get this benefit, especially as other people are losing out on something that used to be free. I completely understand why, when it seems like there are scammers everywhere, requiring someone to provide evidence feels like a logical thing to do. Unfortunately it wouldn't stop people from using a program they don't need, and it would stop a lot of people from getting the accommodations that enable them to visit Disney at all. It's just a lot more complicated than it seems at first glance.

I think they've made it more complex than it needs to be. I think it would be easier with a form application and then if it's accepted you do the photo and confirmation. The last two DAS passes I've gotten (for myself and for my mother) didn't even require us answering questions we just asked for one and they have it to us.

I understand where you're coming from - and I agree I think the 2 advanced Lightning Passes that DAS gets should be out of the "Tier 2" attractions that are included with Genie+.

However, day of - if you have DAS and want to ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train or another Tier 1 attraction (other than Rise of the Resistance and Remy's Ratatouille which will require virtual boarding groups - and of course future rides that require the boarding group like Tron) - that person will be allowed to request a return time based on the current standby time and then come back when their return time is posted.

How would this new system work for people on scooters? My MIL started walking to get ready for our March 2022 trip and whatever she did angered her back/hip/etc. She was in the hospital unable to walk for 5 days last week and now has a walker. We're thinking a scooter might be the solution for the trip. Before you could just go up to the ride for motility issues right? We'd love to not zigzag all over the parks, so being able to digitally check in at a ride would be nice.

As the parent of a DAS user, my DW and I are pretty happy about the changes. It seems like they're going for as much authentication as they legally can while streamlining the process. On our last trip, we had to stop at GS, and my son was just too wound up to wait. Luckily, there were back to back Cavalcades at the train station and on Main Street, so we were rescued. I took the kids to watch the Cavalcades (Princesses and Tinkerbell, btw, which neither of my sons are terribly interested in, but were swept up in the magic anyway), and my DW hammered out the details at GS. With the new system, we won't have to linger around Town Square with the potential to start our trip with a nuclear meltdown.

How would this new system work for people on scooters? My MIL started walking to get ready for our March 2022 trip and whatever she did angered her back/hip/etc. She was in the hospital unable to walk for 5 days last week and now has a walker. We're thinking a scooter might be the solution for the trip. Before you could just go up to the ride for motility issues right? We'd love to not zigzag all over the parks, so being able to digitally check in at a ride would be nice.

DAS usually is for people who have trouble waiting in line, for example people with sensory or anxiety issues. DAS is not for mobility issues. I'd recommend reading more on DAS on Disney's website: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/g...-service/?CMP=ILC-DPFY21Q4wo0812210818210024C

As well as this link for services for guests with mobility disabilities - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/

Mobility issues aren't covered by DAS and haven't been since the old GAC system circa 2012. Almost all lines at Disney World are accessible for scooters, so she'll go through the regular line with everyone else.

I do not think the passes done ahead of time will be the Tier 1 LL passes. It will be the GP+ rides. The day someone is in the park, they will have the option of getting a DAS return time for those rides like everyone else based on the stand by wait time. If they don't want to return, they can purchase.

I think its like ROTR...you need a boarding group, even with DAS. I see it the same way with the additional paid options.

The issue with requiring "proof" is multi-fold.

First, there is no such thing as unfakeable proof. Look at the issues with faked vaccine cards!

Second, the ADA says that a person can't be required to disclose their condition(s) in order to receive accommodations, only the ways in which the accommodations will help them.

Moreover...my doctors went to school for a really long time to be able to understand these medical conditions they're weighing. A CM hasn't. If the CM sees a letter from my doctor that says "Fabfemmeboy has PNES with postictal paralysis," how in the world is that CM going to know what that means I need from them? Is that something that a DAS would help? That qualifies for a DAS at all? Is that even a set of words that go together and mean anything?

Yes they can not require a disclosure of diagnosis, but they can require a note from a physician stating that "in my professional opinion guest X needs the following accommodations..." Of course, someone could fake a doctors note, but less people are willing to do that than to just lie to a park employee to gain the benefits especially now that it costs money to get fastpasses.

Yes they can not require a disclosure of diagnosis, but they can require a note from a physician stating that "in my professional opinion guest X needs the following accommodations..." Of course, someone could fake a doctors note, but less people are willing to do that than to just lie to a park employee to gain the benefits especially now that it costs money to get fastpasses.

That's still prohibitive for a lot of people who need/benefit from DAS.

First, there are a lot of conditions for which a person may not have a physician who can readily say "yes person X needs these accommodations." A frustrating number of people don't have coverage for any kind of mental health care - or for only like 3-6 sessions. Someone who uses the DAS because of severe anxiety/claustrophobia, for example, may well not have a doctor for that. Anyone on the Spectrum who wasn't diagnosed as a child likely doesn't have a physician who can attest to that because it's virtually impossible to get confirmation of/treatment for autism once you're an adult. Heck, my partner has had horrible ADD his entire life but wasn't diagnosed as a child for a variety of reasons; he now has to get official diagnoses for school accommodations, and 90% of places that do testing literally do not do testing and diagnoses for adults.

Second, my doctor knows what I report my symptoms to be. He may or may not understand how they impact a day at Disney World such that he can list what accommodations I need. At a place like Disney, where there is basically one accommodation only, most doctors definitely aren't going to know/understand what the DAS system is enough to know whether that's something useful or necessary for the person enough to write the letter. Certainly anyone who isn't a pediatrician won't know unless they're disgeeks themselves. So I would be literally just saying "Hi, can you write me a letter that says I need this specific set of accommodations?" That makes such a letter not so much a sign of medical judgment as a sign of use of doctor's time. Which brings me to...

Third, getting letters/records from doctors can be time-consuming and expensive even when you have a good reason for it! Most doctors/networks/etc. charge for the doctor's time for that. Maybe they put it in as an appointment to assure the time for you. Maybe it's a separate code they bill. But it's often not free. Medical records or confirmation of diagnosis are charged by the page and add up FAST. It's also just not a good use of doctors' time, so most try to avoid things like this as much as possible. Even just trying to get a letter to start the process for getting hand controls in my car was a bit of a nightmare, and that was at least a process the doctor had a bit more familiarity with. Getting a letter about Disney World? Having to re-get that letter every time I take a trip? It's just not reasonable.

Fourth, it puts CMs in a position of having to try to verify which documents are real and which are fake. And how would they do that? Each CM having to call and verify things with the doctor on the letterhead? My doctor is on the West Coast, so you're trying to reach him when I enter the park at like 5:30 am his time? What if you can't reach someone? And due to medical privacy laws they can't just confirm "yes, that person is a patient here" without express consent from the patient, so that creates a whole other issue in the mix. And if the CM thinks it's fake, then what? They tell the person, who then gets aggressive/angry/frustrated at the CM because they indeed brought a legitimate letter and their honesty is being called into question? The guest can't use DAS until the doctor returns a random call from a theme park?

Again, it sounds simple and beneficial. But it's a lot more difficult and complicated than that, unfortunately. And, as you said, people can and will still forge letters if they're that type of person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter