• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Chase can cram their Visa and Disney rewards (Version #2)

TheRustyScupper

Everyone Is Responsible For Everyone.
"Chase can cram their Visa and Disney rewards. "
(continued from another thread)

1) I am usually a reasonable guy.
2) At least, I think so.
3) After my recent problem, I now agree to this remark from a previous post.
4) I am so mad, I was livid.
5) The Story:
. . . my Disney Chase VISA was put on "security" hold
. . . no problem from me here, as it is just a hold in the event of fraud
. . . but, there was no call and no warning of the hold
. . . I found out accidentally when I went online to check balances
. . . I was told that they normally only send out a letter, then you call them
. . . so, if I was on vacation, I could be out of money due to a card hold
. . . and I wouldn't know it because I didn't see the letter
. . . after a lot of "security" questions, the hold was removed *
. . . I have four accounts with Chase
. . . they will now all go by the wayside due this to terrible Customer Service

* NOTE: The "security" questions were like an inquisition. They asked
. . . if I ever lived in "xxxxx" zip code
. . . if I ever lived in a county named "xxxxxxxx", or in the state of "xx"
. . . what was the airline ticket for 3-months ago (I fly a lot, by the way)
. . . from what airports were the tickets used (I can't remember that far back)
. . . what was the last car I financed (that was in 1987)

I have had cards on fraud hold previously because there might be bad charges. But, one FAST phone call and the holds were released. This is a common practice, and I have no problem with that. But, waiting to find out by a letter, then giving me the third-degree is not right. Adiós Chase!

Just so you know, while working retail, I have seen this happen with Chase, Bank of America, American Express, Discover and many others. I have been witness to them asking these questions to customers and many others. This is NOT all that rare and is actually happening more and more due to the current economic conditions.

AKA... it's not gonna get any better....

I say this as someone who has and uses a Disney Visa, paying off the balance each month and collecting reward dollars...

ALL credit card companies are evil.

THe letter thing must be new. A couple of years ago we had our card placed on security hold but they called us (we were out of town so didn't get the call). We called them when we got home and all they did was ask us if we used the card at a certain place. That was it.

I'm sorry this happened to you. It's a pain, but all CC compaines do this.

I was on vacation with my kids visiting some relatives and I stopped by an outlet mall to buy some clothes from a kids' clothing store in SC. They were out of a couple of items in the size I wanted, so they called another store in another state to do a charge/send of those items. I gave my CC info over the phone and my phone order was processed. Then the sales associate rang up the few things I was buying in the SC store and I handed over the same Bank of America mastercard. It was denied!!! I was mortified and I knew that I was absolutely no where near my credit limit unless a major mistake was made at the other store.

I paid with another card and continued our drive to NC with the intention of calling the CC company when I got to our destination. My DH called me to say that B of A called our house to alert me that a fraud hold was put on my card because I apparently couldn't be in 2 states at virtually the same time buying things in 2 different stores! Apparently, the first store was far away from NC and that flagged a hold with B of A. Sure, it was annoying to have to call them and answer all of their questions (pretty much the Spanish Inquisition like you went through!), but at least I knew that in the even that someone stole my CC number and tried to use it right after I did that my CC company was on it.

We had this happen a few years ago with our MC. I was trying to pay my son's college tuition and they kept rejecting the card (with a $45 fee each time by the college). I call MC and said there was a security hold on it since the number close to ours had been stolen. We never received a call or a letter, just found out because the tuition amount was beyond what they were allowing us to use. Unfortunately this is the way today with all the security breaches through computers. As for the questions, I would be glad that they were being extra careful and it wouldn't bother me at all.

1) Those are common questions asked when retrieving one's password from online or getting a copy of one's credit report.
2) Would you rather someone guess your zip code or last name or something and easily start using your card for fraudulent purposes?
3) You went on vacation with only a credit card available to cover purchases? Rather unwise decision. VERY unwise decision.

This happened to dh and I while in Disney. Yes all ccs do this, but the only number Chase had was his cell so they didn't call to warn us they just cut it off. And the questions were ridiculous I agree. They were mult. choice, someone else could have guessed the correct answer.

ALL credit card companies are evil.

which is why I haven't used a cc in over 3 years. The final straw was when I opened a store card to get a discount and there were fraudulent charges on my first bill. I disputed it, but the collector still started calling roughly 3 days after the payment was due.

I have a debit card, but have moved to cash more and more lately.

which is why I haven't used a cc in over 3 years. The final straw was when I opened a store card to get a discount and there were fraudulent charges on my first bill. I disputed it, but the collector still started calling roughly 3 days after the payment was due.

I have a debit card, but have moved to cash more and more lately.
I hope that 2010 is the year that I can say I didnt use a credit card for the whole year...but yeah...when I called last week to get my first Rewards Cards the questions were so random...one had to do with what state does so and so live in (be mindful that so and so is my sisters ex husband...what does that have to do with me or how can that help the security of my credit)

I hope that 2010 is the year that I can say I didnt use a credit card for the whole year...but yeah...when I called last week to get my first Rewards Cards the questions were so random...one had to do with what state does so and so live in (be mindful that so and so is my sisters ex husband...what does that have to do with me or how can that help the security of my credit)

Wow! I don't even know what state MY ex husband lives in anymore!! :confused3

I too have had terrible trouble with my disney card. I use it for business travel so I can get the rewards or for major purchases that I intend to pay off when the invoice comes. i have countless occasions when the card has not worked due to some sort of security issue. I have literally missed thousands of $$ in purchases for which I did not get the rewards, due to no fault of my own. when i complain to Chase I get zero satisfaction not even an offer for a complimentary gift card such as they send to new card issues.

1.) You were caught unprepared on your vacation -- your fault, no one else's.

2.) Chase properly and securely locked down your credit card, as is their right according to the contract you agreed to when you first signed on with them.

3.) Funny how children want to be treated like adults, but when they are treated as such, they start to behave like children all over again.

4.) Maybe somebody isn't ready for the privileges of a credit card?

5.) Your beef is with Chase not Disney.

6.) Here endeth the lesson.

Ok.. so Chase will be the only card I have at disney. If it doesn't work, then how will I pay for stuff??? I wouldn't take cash for a whole week of eating. I normally only take 100 or so in cash and use credit cards for everything else. I can't handle cash. It disappears and I don't know why. With the credit card or a check(In town, but that won't work over a thousand miles away!) I have to itemize every penny in money. So, what if the worst happens???

Christine

Doesn't sound like anything different than any other cc. I've had my visa closed immediately (not chase) because the number had been compromised. This stuff happens often now. I have 2 Visa accounts (one chase, one my credit union). I take both on vacation as a back up. With so many cc being compromised it's now risky to depend upon ONE major cc. Sounds like Chase was operating accordingly. However, when my credit union Visa was compromised last year, they called me immediately in the office to inform me that I could not use it. Had I been on vacation, they would not have been able to contact me.

Chase has an online feature where you can easily set up a travel alert ahead of time letting them know where & when you'll be. It won't cut down all holds for suspected fraud but it will probably help.

When traveling you should always have a 2nd credit card from a different issuer to use as a backup just in case something like this happens.

Our Chase AARP cc recently had a security hold placed on it. They did call our home so DH was able to verify that we were not using the card in some obscure place in FL. (We have never had a problem using the card in the WDW area.) They cancelled the card and sent us a new one. It was a pain because we had 4 automatic payments that we had to reset. But DH and I felt the whole thing was handled in a professional manor.

When DH and I travel we always carry at least 3 different cards between us so we can't get stuck like the OP did. Also, before we traveled to Aruba last year, we notified the credit cards that we were taking with us.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Sorry you had this issue. Hope it all works out.

Since this isn't really about Disney trip planning, I'm going to move this over to the theme parks community board.

We use our Disney Visa for everything and pay it off in full every month. We have had it since "Day One" and have had the security hold happen several times. The last time was this Black Friday while all night shopping in two states. I just called the number on the back of the card. They transferred me to the fraud department, I answered a few security questions, verified the last five purchases and the hold was lifted. It took less than five minutes. Though being denied with a line of about 25 people behind you is never fun!!:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter