Cheaper flights when booking using US currency on Air canada website

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
Just passing on a tip seen on a facebook group. When booking flights on Air Canada to/from US, it looks to be cheaper if choosing US currency (on the top right of the page).

For example, for a mock booking : return flights YYZ-MCO for 5 people in May 2024:
Booking using Canadian currency: $1454 Canadian
Booking using US currency: $958 USD (converts to $1292 Canadian). Even if using a Canadian credit card that charges a ForEx fee, you still save. Trick seems to be NOT to sign in with your aeroplan number until AFTER you select your tickets.

I haven't actually booked tickets this way to be 100% sure it accepts Canada issued credit cards but others have had no issues.

I just tried it on a flight from YYZ to LAX that I am taking and it was actually cheaper using CAD.

$398 in USD (which converts to $536.15 CAD) and $526 if booked in CAD.

Maybe there is a specific situation where it works?

I just tried it on a flight from YYZ to LAX that I am taking and it was actually cheaper using CAD.

$398 in USD (which converts to $536.15 CAD) and $526 if booked in CAD.

Maybe there is a specific situation where it works?

Must be contextual. how soon is your upcoming LAX flight?

Tip to take away. Check all alternatives for paying when booking flights. I usually check $CDN, $US, Airmiles when booking flights and use the best option. Also if your flight is a codeshare, check the codeshare partners website directly. I found flights on Delta that were codeshare with WestJet and they were a lot cheaper on Delta than WestJet.

Tip to take away. Check all alternatives for paying when booking flights. I usually check $CDN, $US, Airmiles when booking flights and use the best option. Also if your flight is a codeshare, check the codeshare partners website directly. I found flights on Delta that were codeshare with WestJet and they were a lot cheaper on Delta than WestJet.
word of warning about booking thru the code share - last time we flew south on WestJet someone was at the gate arguing with the agent and they got sent to the Delta counter instead. No idea why or what the outcome was but it made me leery. It was very clear they were also heading to Disney based on the matching t-shirts.

Just booked using US currency for a party of 5, YYZ-MCO-YYZ May 2-8, 2024. Total (including foreign exchange fees and conversion) : 1289.21 CDN. The price on using canadian currency on the AC site was 1423.38. The trip appears in my AC app just like it would otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter