Check-in problems

Keep in mind, port arrival time is different than boarding time. PAT is literally when you are scheduled to/'allowed' to arrive at the port. There are several steps you need to do once you arrive, and then you will likely have a wait in the terminal until your boarding group is called. There is a correlation between PAT and boarding group (earlier boarding groups have earlier PATs), but your PAT and your boarding group are two different things.

My parents cruised DCL for the first time in 20 odd years last September and didn't realize it (and I didn't think to explain it). They thought/assumed that once we got to the port and through security, etc., that we'd walk right on the ship. Waiting is always hard, but doubly harder when you weren't expecting it. We were group 5, I think, and boarded around noon IIRC, so still not bad. But there was a wait between port arrival and boarding.
That's a good point! This is my 3rd cruise on the Wonder but first one out of San Diego, which is reported to be a bit of a mess of a port for embarkation. I'm not banking on a quick process from arrival to on-board, based on what everyone says about the confusing lines outside.

We had our cabins linked and I was able to check in both cabins. I had the other cabins guests' passport photo and their security photo to upload. I just put cash for the payment type and they went back in at a later date and added their credit card.

If your cabins are linked you should be able to check in both cabins, one after the other. Make sure you have all their info and photos.
Or, I think if you and your sister both stay up each of you should be able to check in one of the cabins at the same time.

As far as Palo I was able to book for all 4 of us but I did that before the check in night. We booked about 2 months before our cruise so I was able to look for Palo as soon as I was paid in full.

Good luck!!

MJ
Thanks a lot very helpful

It’s weird - but I find if I enter all of the info and then go back to add the selfies/passport photos it works better. I also just skip through the airport stuff and say I’m paying cash to forgo some of the steps.

We have four cruises coming up (April, Sept, Nov, and Jan) and thankfully two are concierge (Sept & Jan) so PAT won’t be an issue. But still have to do the stressful online check in for the other two - we’ll be checking in for the April one soon and then there is a decent break. Wishing it was based on Castaway Level or something. The mad rush at midnight is not fun!

Used to love the Platinum Perk of not having to be up at (5am) uk time to secure a PAT!
Those days have gone, and I’ve done this spinning wheel three times since those days, so I’ve just switched to Princess.
What an absolute joy. So easy. A couple of steps gets you a PAT and then once at the port we entered a fast moving line and we were on!
Total bliss!
Such a huge contrast. I don’t think I want to go backwards to setting an alarm bleary eyed and trying to navigate that rollercoaster again!

We tried checking in last night at midnight Eastern (9pm for us on the west coast), but it wasn't open. My wife tried several times during the night, still not open. Woke up this morning about 11:30 Eastern (8:30am for us) and it was finally open. Check in went smooth and we got boarding group 3 with no PAT. I don't know if that is because we are riding the Disney bus from Old Key West or because they secretly brought back the early boarding groups for platinum. In any case my wife is very happy and that makes me happy!

We are also on the West coast and Platinum- and it was a brutal check in. I believe you might have the early boarding group because you are riding on the Disney bus, so I am glad you didn't lose the endless hours of sleep last night we did. We would make it on briefly, almost always be timed out BEFORE the spin of death saved the info. And repeat, repeat, repeat. Often the pages would load incompletely, with missing sections like entering your credit card fields, or your passport fields, or you information for your minor onboard. Or refuse your travel details. In all, it took us 3 hours and 8 minutes to get our boarding group, we are #11 from 12 to 12:15.
It was much more enjoyable when Platinum was able to book the PAT earlier, our last cruise on the Wonder they took our staterooms and 'moved' us up a floor to right next to an elevator. It was far less desirable than the quiet location we had paid for and selected. Post covid they were able to cancel a lot of the activities, like trick or treating, character photos (those were distanced), it didn't feel Disney magical at all. I already regret the sleep I gave up last night trying to survive their online check in process.
I have to laugh every time I get another email reminding me of the wonderful cruises and vacations with Disney I can book right now (we'd always planned to do some of the Europe ones) .... wish they would instead focus on fixing the experience to what it was. We're moving on after this one, we're finding we really enjoy Royal for our family. I miss what DCL used to be, the magic and enchantment sadly vanished. I'm glad your transfer actually saved you the long, long frustrating night. It's nice feeling valued.

We tried checking in last night at midnight Eastern (9pm for us on the west coast), but it wasn't open. My wife tried several times during the night, still not open. Woke up this morning about 11:30 Eastern (8:30am for us) and it was finally open. Check in went smooth and we got boarding group 3 with no PAT. I don't know if that is because we are riding the Disney bus from Old Key West or because they secretly brought back the early boarding groups for platinum. In any case my wife is very happy and that makes me happy!
It’s not because of platinum. It’s because you are using Disney transportation

That's what we figured. I guess using the Disney transport, although more expensive than other options, has it's perks.
It didn’t before covid because it arrived in the afternoon. Now it has perks of flexibility.

There's not a lot of difference between boarding groups. We've always been 5-7 and have always boarded no more than 30 minutes after boarding started with group 1.

I think there's more concern about boarding groups than necessary. Unless you desperately need to be first in line for something (change dining time, wait list, guest services need, etc.) - you're not really saving much time and certainly less than the headache at midnight.

We've never had to wait for a table at the sit down lunch (other than waiting for them to start seating in general), there's never been a line for the Aqua Duck / Aqua Mouse, we've always been able to get to and do whatever we've needed without any concern.

Glad it worked out. I’ve been in your shoes. So very stressful. I notice on the dcl website yesterday there was a message about online checkin not working. I’ve gained many gray hairs doing online checkin over the last 18 months with this download system. After doing checkin 7 cruises now with multiple cabins sometimes, it never gets easier. So stressful and unpredictable.
Hi, It sounds like you would be a great person to ask a few questions about on-line check in. If we only need a birth certificate for out kids do you take a picture of it in place of the passport and upload it? I booked three rooms for our adult kids and our grandkids. We have three reservations numbers. Because I booked all three rooms do I need to check in for all three rooms or do you think it would be faster to have each adult in each room check in for their own rooms. This is so much different from the last time we cruised. It appears much worse.

Hi, It sounds like you would be a great person to ask a few questions about on-line check in. If we only need a birth certificate for out kids do you take a picture of it in place of the passport and upload it? I booked three rooms for our adult kids and our grandkids. We have three reservations numbers. Because I booked all three rooms do I need to check in for all three rooms or do you think it would be faster to have each adult in each room check in for their own rooms. This is so much different from the last time we cruised. It appears much worse.
If you’re using BC, yes a picture needs to be uploaded in the place of the passport. (Before checkin day either take a picture with your phone or scan them into your computer—scanning gives a better picture). Everyone 16 and older also has to upload a copy of their drivers license/picture ID. You can certainly do them all yourself, but it’s a slow process which means everyone will have a different arrival time and different boarding number. Different boarding numbers means all will have to go on the last one unless you board separetly. If others want to do it, I say go that way. Twice last year I checked in for 3 cabins and it’s not fun. I save all my pictures on my phone, my iPad, my PC because one of those devices generally will have issues, but you never know until you’re doing it. Not sure if you know about your selfie that needs to be uploaded too. Everyone needs a picture, shoulders up, plain background, only one person in the picture looking forward. You can take with your phone (this picture will connect with each room card for security purposes). All uploads have to complete before you get your arrival time and boarding number. This is where the website goes crazy. Too many of us all trying to upload at the same time. Btw, make sure everyone has the dcl app on their phone and each has the reservation linked to their app. Make sure all teens download the app too. You use your dcl app on the cruise. You can check the navigator, dining menu, showtimes, and chat with each other, also you can check your charges too.

We go off the Wonder in San Diego last Saturday at 11am (when we cleared Customs). at least 3-400 still coming off. So dunno, they have to clear 100% before they board the new cruise - so I doubt anyone outbound boarded before noon. Our boarding group was #26 for 2:15 the Monday before. We got to the pier at 1pm and dropped our bags with the porters and went over to the midway and walked around. By 1:45 we headed over to the lines and loitered and were quickly sent aboard. No issues there.

If you’re using BC, yes a picture needs to be uploaded in the place of the passport. (Before checkin day either take a picture with your phone or scan them into your computer—scanning gives a better picture). Everyone 16 and older also has to upload a copy of their drivers license/picture ID. You can certainly do them all yourself, but it’s a slow process which means everyone will have a different arrival time and different boarding number. Different boarding numbers means all will have to go on the last one unless you board separetly. If others want to do it, I say go that way. Twice last year I checked in for 3 cabins and it’s not fun. I save all my pictures on my phone, my iPad, my PC because one of those devices generally will have issues, but you never know until you’re doing it. Not sure if you know about your selfie that needs to be uploaded too. Everyone needs a picture, shoulders up, plain background, only one person in the picture looking forward. You can take with your phone (this picture will connect with each room card for security purposes). All uploads have to complete before you get your arrival time and boarding number. This is where the website goes crazy. Too many of us all trying to upload at the same time. Btw, make sure everyone has the dcl app on their phone and each has the reservation linked to their app. Make sure all teens download the app too. You use your dcl app on the cruise. You can check the navigator, dining menu, showtimes, and chat with each other, also you can check your charges too.
n2mm
Are you saying we need to include a picture of our Drivers License in addition to the shoulders-up picture?

n2mm
Are you saying we need to include a picture of our Drivers License in addition to the shoulders-up picture?
The shoulders up photo is an ID photo that is linked to your key to the world card (for when you get on/off the ship and, I believe, make purchases with the card). The DL is part of your proof of citizenships (along with the birth certificate). They are two separate entities so yes, you need an ID photo (shoulders up) and a photo of your citizenship documentation (DL or passport).

The shoulders up photo is an ID photo that is linked to your key to the world card (for when you get on/off the ship and, I believe, make purchases with the card). The DL is part of your proof of citizenships (along with the birth certificate). They are two separate entities so yes, you need an ID photo (shoulders up) and a photo of your citizenship documentation (DL or passport).

yes, you only need a DL (age 16 and up) only if you use a BC to show citizenship. If you use a passport, you don’t need to upload your DL.

That's a good point! This is my 3rd cruise on the Wonder but first one out of San Diego, which is reported to be a bit of a mess of a port for embarkation. I'm not banking on a quick process from arrival to on-board, based on what everyone says about the confusing lines outside.
We recently did a Wonder cruise out of SD. It's mostly confusing because everyone gets there early and wants to wait "up front" for their line to open up.

There are/were 3 lines set up outside the terminal. Every 15 minutes the sign at the head of each line changes what PAT that particular line is for. So that's a 45 minute wait if you arrive when they set up the line for your PAT. But, as I said, there were a lot of people whose PATs were 1 or 2 hours away just hanging around up close to the terminal.

Once the PAT arrives, that line is let into the terminal. Where another line awaits. This one is to confirm that you have your boarding pass and lets you into the security area and took about 20 minutes.

In the security area there's (guess what) another line to go through the scanners. That one took about another 20-25 minutes.

Once through the scanners, you walk about 2/3 of the way to the other end of the terminal and into another line for the check in counters. That line was really short and we only waited about 5 minutes there.

After checking in they direct you to sit/wait in the seating area there until your boarding number is announced. In our case, there was no one waiting, and we went directly to the end of the terminal to double back outside to the escalator up to the gangway.

All together, our PAT was 12:45 and we were onboard the ship at 1:30.

You are so awesome!!! Thank you so much!!! I learned a lot from you and I am not looking forward to checking in:( We have only cruised concierge in the past and the check in process and boarding first I'm learning is a real perk that I didn't fully appreciate till now. We even looked into upgrading but felt it wasn't worth an extra $2000 for a three night cruise.......or is it.......LOL! I love this discussion board because everyone is so helpful and kind. I appreciate all your advice and tips. Thank you again Disney friend:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter