Child pulled into water by alligator near Grand Floridian

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how people could be so judgemental. I hope those judging never make a mistake. It changes nothing to point fingers.

This poor poor baby and his poor family. I am beyond sick just thinking about it.

We're just pointing out that the gator didn't run up on the beach and snatch a child--the child was IN THE WATER.

I don't understand how people could be so judgemental. I hope those judging never make a mistake. It changes nothing to point fingers.

This poor poor baby and his poor family. I am beyond sick just thinking about it.

I'm not judging. I'm saying there are signs posted for a reason and Disney isn't responsible for listing those reasons. They made a mistake and will live with it for the rest of their lives. My heart breaks for them but I don't feel this was Disney's fault.

As I said--been to WDW 63 times (stayed at the Poly many of those) and never saw a Gator. Used to go swimming--oops I mean wading--in that Lagoon when it was allowed. Once they posted the signs, we never got in the water again. IF gators were swarming all over WDW they might well have decided to put out a Gator warning.

Stop blaming the family. "No swimming" is not the same as "Stay out of the water." Nor is it the same as having a sign warning about alligators in the water. Disney built a beach on a body of water that has alligators, has events on that beach close to water's edge at night when it's dark, and has visitors from all over the world who categorically do not understand the risks that gators pose. Disney invites people, including little kids, who do not know better to come right up to the gator's habitat. This case will never reach court because Disney will pay millions to settle. The lack of any previous history lulled everyone into a false sense of security, but Disney has to reassess the environment it has created on that beach.

Stop blaming the family. "No swimming" is not the same as "Stay out of the water." Nor is it the same as having a sign warning about alligators in the water. Disney built a beach on a body of water that has alligators, has events on that beach close to water's edge at night when it's dark, and has visitors from all over the world who categorically do not understand the risks that gators pose. Disney invites people, including little kids, who do not know better to come right up to the gator's habitat. This case will never reach court because Disney will pay millions to settle. The lack of any previous history lulled everyone into a false sense of security, but Disney has to reassess the environment it has created on that beach.

Let's fill in that lagoon with cement!! And Bay Lake as well!!!

Someone shared a photo on Tikiman's FB page just a couple of weeks ago of one floating by the Polynesian. I hope Disney stops selling sand buckets and shovels in the gift shop since this encourages guests to go in the water. Those signs will have to change to no swimming, no wading.

This is such tragic news however I am surprised it has never happened before. Disney is on swampland. Disney cannot patrol every inch of its property. I have seen multiple gators on property throughout the years. There use to be a gator outside Beach Club Villa's and you would often see ignorant guests feeding it. You see guest feeding wild animals all over Disney and it drives me insane. From the black birds to squirrels to the gator that used to reside at the Beach Club.

When Disney spots a gator, it monitors it and MOVES it only AFTER it becomes a certain size. However, by the time the animal gets that size it's probably been feed dozens of times by ignorant people who think it's fun to feed the animal. By the time it gets to be of a dangerous size, its no longer afraid of people.

Also, I would bet the "lifeguard" mentioned in this story wasn't a lifeguard at all but a recreation cast member. Guests often think the CM's at the nightly movies are lifeguards but they are part of the recreation department and not trained to save lives. Not that I think it would have mattered in this situation.

For years, guests have been sitting outside on the beach at the Poly and GF watching the nightly water parade and fireworks and nothing like this has ever happened. I would bet Disney will soon be canceling these nightly movies, maybe even the water parade.

I would guess these guests from Nebraska never even thought about the possibility of an aligator being in the water. Its truly tragic

MsA

This is just as sad.

Now in order to protect us from our own dumb move we want Disney to quit selling sand pails and cancel all the evening activities that take place near a body of water? What's next? You do know that there are lots of other dangers at Disney?

I am sorry for this family, but these actions would be so over reactionary it's just bizarre. Disney still runs the monorail and they had a CM killed on it. People are killed every day in car accidents, including accidents that have happened on property, but Disney doesn't make you walk everywhere because it's safer. Someone was injured on a ride because they stood up, but Disney didn't close the ride forever....

Folks even Mickey Mouse can't control everything. Blaming Disney for this one and expecting them to insulate you from all danger by removing EVERY gator and any thing that might tempt you to go NEAR the water is unrealistic.

Disney's signs should of included "Alligators in water, stay out". Sorry just putting "no swimming", doesn't indicate you can't put your feet in the water. Putting your feet in the water is not the same as "NO SWIMMING". I would NEVER think not to let my child put there feet in the water. The sign should definitely of indicated there could be alligators in the water.

the movies under the stars is on the beach, which is close to the waterline. during the day we saw kids playing near the water and in it a little. i remember thinking, i thought we were not allowed in that water. If i see that again i will speak up. that is so sad for the 2 year old! The movies under the stars is close to the water at the Yacht/Beach club too. When we were roasting marshmallows at the campfire there were lots of bees all around the chairs. Near the baby sand pool area where we wanted to park our stroller we couldn't because we were seeing bees going into the sand. Bee stings can be dangerous, i wonder why nobody takes care of that. I told the CM at the campfire and she didn't say anything other than, gee i wonder why they are there. I did not even want to stay roasting b/c i didnt want to be right next to them.

A simple no swimming sign is FAR different than letting your 2 yr old stand w his feet in the waters edge w you watching. I'm a strict rule follower and never would consider a simple no swimming sign meaning I could not do that.

If you're not from Florida - which being a TOURIST location most are not - you're likely not be thinking of gators.

If WDW was aware of gators in this lake then you are aware that this was a 100% possibility and should warn your guest (who are likely not from Florida and don't have gators in the back of their mind) "NO SWIMMING OR WADING" .

With gators, simply being at the waters edge is highly dangerous. That's where they attack.
ITA, and in addition, the signs should carry the warning; Danger: Alligators. 'no swimming or wading' is not enough.

Because people would think twice about even putting their feet in the water or walking near the water in the dark. I am not from Florida and I never thought about an alligator possibly being in that beach area.

Exactly. A sign that warned about the actual dangers might keep more people out of the water. Yes, if they were in the water, they shouldn't have been (and I'm not assuming any facts because reports on this have conflicted in regards to the size of the family and whether dad was in the water with the boy). But sticking your feet in the water is not swimming. Let's face it, Disney's signs don't warn about gators and snakes because it sounds scary and not Disney-like. I lived in Louisiana and know full well that swamp water is nasty and full of things I'd rather not meet up close and personal. Folks from Nebraska? Maybe not so much.

For anyone here that's gone to movie night at the GF/Poly, how close is it to the waterline? And do the signs say no swimming OR wading?
I was wondering too how close Movie Night is to the shore. Poly signs say "Beach closed", credit to Tikiman pages.
IMG_2002b.jpg

I have to respectfully disagree with many of the posts blaming family. I am a strict rule follower and usually blame the parents for negligence. However I also feel it is a bit unclear about how dangerous the water can be- especially when there are tourists from different regions of the US/world who aren't familiar with Florida gators. I personally think no swimming is different than no wading/do not enter water...I wouldn't have thought rinsing my feet would be a risk.

Perhaps Disney should use some of their huge profits to sweep for alligators on a regular basis...So far this morning, they have pulled 4 of them from Bay Lake. (Too bad they didn't do that prior to this horrible incident!) I have personally seen alligators in several different bodies of water at the resorts; at CS, Poly, and Ft Wilderness. Disney is very aware of the risk but they did not want to cue the guests with warning signs.

What an incredibly sad and horrific thing for that poor family. Who's at fault? No one. It was an awful accident. Should Disney change the signage? Probably. I know that one time I was walking along the 'beach' at BC. There was a family, with young kids, playing at the water's edge. I mentioned, as I passed by, that there were snakes and alligators in that water. The dad's response? "Oh, Disney takes care of all that. It's not an issue.'' Not much more I could have done. Disney does take care of it. But, there is no way they can monitor every single alligator on property.
The family was having a good time, they probably didn't think it was a big deal for their toddler to be wading along the edge of the water. But, an alligator thought that child was a critter...and that meant food. The alligator was doing what comes naturally. The family erred in allowing their child to venture into the water. A common enough mistake. A mistake that, thank God, doesn't usually end this way.

Will Disney now close off access to the water? Who knows. I know that I am always very watchful whenever walking near a waterway in Florida. Perhaps if they change the signage to 'Stay out of water. Alligators live here' it will stop guests from wading. Or perhaps just the news of this horrible accident will do that. Sadly, people have short memories. Not to mention, the 'oh that would never happen to us' mentality.

Let's fill in that lagoon with cement!! And Bay Lake as well!!!

Classic straw man argument. Classic.

Things Disney could have done differently: have a sign warning of alligators specifically, have some form of separation between sand and water (show me a beach leading directly from sand to water anywhere in the world and I'll show you people dipping their feet in the water), and erecting some type of underwater barrier to prevent gators from reaching the beach.

I know the risk of gators and am still surprised Disney would allow a situation where a gator could accomplish what happened. Disney plans for everything. That's why it is the best. I would assume that Disney would somehow alligator proof a beach leading directly to water like that. Disney is thorough like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter