Child with loud vocalizations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Miller

Mouseketeer
Gathering information for our July trip. Bringing our two little foster ( process of adopting 1!) guys with us. They have CP ( spastic quad) and multiple medical complexities ( chromosome deletions, global delays, cognitive disabilities and many other) Going to try for a DAS to see if they qualify, will figure it out if not. My one big question is if anyone has experience with a child that is LOUD and gets excited and “vocalizes” ( he is non verbal but makes a lot of loud excited screaming sounds) our family is generally used to this and telling him to have “quiet lips” doesn’t always work. I’m more worried about “inside” attractions (space ship earth, EPCOT aquariums, mickeys philharmagic) should we just skip these thing attractions? I know we have the “right” to enjoy these things also ( but I am painfully aware of other people staring or composing that My child is “ruining” their experience...cause they can’t hear over him) can we try to stand/sit near an exit ( philharmagic)? Please honestly tell me what the best thing is to do. We want him/us to have fun but there is nothing worse than someone staring at us/him because he’s just being “loud” ( but not “meaning” too). This is heavy on my heart ❤️

I can't say for sure, but I know every time a parent has been visiting with a child who loudly vocalizes, people tend to be sweet and accommodating. There are jerks everywhere (although why people pay $$$ to come be grumpy when they could go to the mall and be grumpy for free is beyond me lol) but those jerks are *not your problem*. Enjoy your trip. Do what makes your kids happy. Try for the DAS if it helps you relax a little. No loudly vocalizing person has ever ruined any experience we've had at WDW. We're all there to be a safe, happy place. Walt wanted it to be for everyone!

Gathering information for our July trip. Bringing our two little foster ( process of adopting 1!) guys with us. They have CP ( spastic quad) and multiple medical complexities ( chromosome deletions, global delays, cognitive disabilities and many other) Going to try for a DAS to see if they qualify, will figure it out if not. My one big question is if anyone has experience with a child that is LOUD and gets excited and “vocalizes” ( he is non verbal but makes a lot of loud excited screaming sounds) our family is generally used to this and telling him to have “quiet lips” doesn’t always work. I’m more worried about “inside” attractions (space ship earth, EPCOT aquariums, mickeys philharmagic) should we just skip these thing attractions? I know we have the “right” to enjoy these things also ( but I am painfully aware of other people staring or composing that My child is “ruining” their experience...cause they can’t hear over him) can we try to stand/sit near an exit ( philharmagic)? Please honestly tell me what the best thing is to do. We want him/us to have fun but there is nothing worse than someone staring at us/him because he’s just being “loud” ( but not “meaning” too). This is heavy on my heart ❤
I guess this me coming from being a grandmother and years of toddlers in daycare it is not the loud happy child that bothers me but the overtired done with meltdown that bothers me who's parents are all about getting everything done. I remember precovid the mother who moved her daughter up beside her as close as she could be to me and tells do not put that cane down on her. I just turned and looked at and said would you rather I fall on her? as that would be the way I would go down you should have seen her give me room for my cane which she was not going to do

I can't say for sure, but I know every time a parent has been visiting with a child who loudly vocalizes, people tend to be sweet and accommodating. There are jerks everywhere (although why people pay $$$ to come be grumpy when they could go to the mall and be grumpy for free is beyond me lol) but those jerks are *not your problem*. Enjoy your trip. Do what makes your kids happy. Try for the DAS if it helps you relax a little. No loudly vocalizing person has ever ruined any experience we've had at WDW. We're all there to be a safe, happy place. Walt wanted it to be for everyone!
Thank you so much❤️ My days ( and weeks are long and stressful) I want this to be fun for all of us, but, he can be loud. We will of course remove him, as we would our typical children if they got waaay to loud or inappropriate. We usually ( here at home get smiles and friendly laughter as they see his delight!) Christmas Eve at a “child approved and welcome” service at our church was a different matter with some “visitors”kept glaring. My wonderful church congregation kept moving closer to us and smiling and singing with him. People can be amazing! Thank you for your encouraging words❤️

Things like Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion, and the Nemo aquarium ride, you are in your own buggy, so I wouldn't think that vocalisations would/should have much of an impact on other riders. I'd maybe do research more into the shows (like Philharmagic), or maybe talk to a CM at the 'ride' about seating/exit options, in case it gets to be too much for either of you. I didn't go into Philharmagic on our last trip, but usually with shows like that (and Country Bear Jamboree, Muppet Vision, etc) they're telling the audience to go all the way across the row before stopping/sitting, so you could end up in the middle of the audience where you may feel more exposed, were he to start vocalising loudly. I know sometimes the stress of what other people are thinking/reacting can be worse than the actual action itself!

Last edited:
Lucky. The worst sound in the world to my husband is a screeching toddler. He’s had several ear surgeries and the resulting reverberations make him physically ill

so yeah, our experience absolutely is ruined when having to listen to loud screeching children.. whether in delight, anger or fear. Especially in close proximity.

Lucky. The worst sound in the world to my husband is a screeching toddler. He’s had several ear surgeries and the resulting reverberations make him physically ill

so yeah, our experience absolutely is ruined when having to listen to loud screeching children.. whether in delight, anger or fear. Especially in close proximity.
Respectfully, why would you choose to go to Disney knowing there will be many ( typical and a typical) children screaming, shrieking, laughing, crying or yelling?

Things like Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion, and the Nemo aquarium ride, you are in your own buggy, so I wouldn't think that vocalisations would/should have much of an impact on other riders. I'd maybe do research more into the shows (like Philharmagic), or maybe talk to a CM at the 'ride' about seating/exit options, in case it gets to be too much for either of you. I didn't go into Philharmagic on our last trip, but usually with shows like that (and Country Bear Jamboree, Muppet Vision, etc) they're telling the audience to go all the way across the row before stopping/sitting, so you could end up in the middle of the audience where you may feel more exposed, were he to start vocalising loudly. I know sometimes the stress of what other people are thinking/reacting can be worse than the actual action itself!
We were just at speech and the SLP explained that he just gets SO EXCITED, but doesn’t have to proper filters or muscular oral pharyngeal ability to make the “sounds” into “words” ( and, cognitively he is 15 months old. It does get too much for me sometimes, so I can relate to someone being like 😳 lol. Thank you fir the idea to ask the CM if we can sit somewhere in case we need to duck out! ( either fir my sanity or someone’s in the theater!❤️)

We were just at speech and the SLP explained that he just gets SO EXCITED, but doesn’t have to proper filters or muscular oral pharyngeal ability to make the “sounds” into “words” ( and, cognitively he is 15 months old. It does get too much for me sometimes, so I can relate to someone being like 😳 lol. Thank you fir the idea to ask the CM if we can sit somewhere in case we need to duck out! ( either fir my sanity or someone’s in the theater!❤)
I remember many of the shows explaining which side guests can exit the doors if they need to leave mid-show. With so many young children at WDW they understand sometimes things come up that may need a quick exit. Enjoy your trip!

We were just at speech and the SLP explained that he just gets SO EXCITED, but doesn’t have to proper filters or muscular oral pharyngeal ability to make the “sounds” into “words” ( and, cognitively he is 15 months old. It does get too much for me sometimes, so I can relate to someone being like 😳 lol. Thank you fir the idea to ask the CM if we can sit somewhere in case we need to duck out! ( either fir my sanity or someone’s in the theater!❤)
just remember there is no ducking out of COP between or during

You'll get reactions that run the gamut. While I would completely understand and probably smile at his excitement, depending on the location/situation my DD might react negatively. She is sensitive to unexpected noises, especially if near her and/or in a place where sounds echo or reverberate. I fully realize that is our issue to help her learn to cope, and we would explain and get her earmuffs on, but we likely would need to leave the area and it well could be a setback in her day -- at which point the general public's attention is likely to shift from your child's happy shrieks to my child's meltdown. Again I realize that is for us to deal with, and there may be times my child causes negative reaction from others, so I get it. You just gotta do the best you can and have a thick skin.

So I guess the point of my post is to say...just because someone has a negative reaction to your disabled child shouldn't be taken personally as it may be a disability on the part of the reactive person.

Respectfully, why would you choose to go to Disney knowing there will be many ( typical and a typical) children screaming, shrieking, laughing, crying or yelling?

I have to say that your statement bothers me as a parent. I raised my kids to behave in public, and that meant no screaming or yelling around others. It's not like children can't learn to control themselves. Everyone understands children with medical issues, but typical children should not be screaming for no reason. Funny how generations of parents where able to raise their kids to behave in public but now act as if you are torturing your kids. Mine are grown now and are perfectly normal people with no emotional scars from being taught proper behavior. I don't know the person you quoted, but I imagine that they are referring to indoor areas, theaters, and rides being the issue. Outdoors and on rollercoasters are, of course, a different scenario. Nothing wrong with expecting your child to not scream inside of a theater.

I have to say that your statement bothers me as a parent. I raised my kids to behave in public, and that meant no screaming or yelling around others. It's not like children can't learn to control themselves. Everyone understands children with medical issues, but typical children should not be screaming for no reason. Funny how generations of parents where able to raise their kids to behave in public but now act as if you are torturing your kids. Mine are grown now and are perfectly normal people with no emotional scars from being taught proper behavior. I don't know the person you quoted, but I imagine that they are referring to indoor areas, theaters, and rides being the issue. Outdoors and on rollercoasters are, of course, a different scenario. Nothing wrong with expecting your child to not scream inside of a theater.
yes teaching no screaming is one thing but also how well did your kids do at age 15 months as the poster has said is functioning age of child in question. Did your toddlers always follow that rule? or did you leave that age home with sitter until older

We had a negative experience with a vocalizing child when my kids were very little. At Turtle Talk with Crush, they ask the kids to sit in front on the floor and parents in back on benches. A little boy sat behind my 4 year old daughter and during the show he was making loud noises (clearly a medical issue) and then started waving his hands all around vigorously. I couldn't totally see what was going on up there, but at the end of the show she returned to us crying that the boy had screamed in her ear and hit her. She was just too little/unsure of herself to move away from him. We talked about how he must have been unable to control his voice and hands and didn't mean to hurt her, calmed her down, and moved on with our day. All of this to say, please don't send him to sit away from you among the other kids at Turtle Talk. Sitting by the exit where you can help him or take him outside sounds ideal. I hope he has a magical trip!

I'm just jumping back in to encourage the OP again. Look, my dad has significant hearing loss and uses very strong hearing aids that make sudden loud noises very uncomfortable for him. My daughter had a lot of sensory hypersensitivity as a younger child and would react adversely to loud noises. My dad understands, as a disabled person himself, that not all things are in his control. As a father and grandfather, he sees parents trying hard and gives them empathy--and if he were to see your son being happily loud, he'd turn down a hearing aid or two and smile because there was a child having fun. My daughter, now 14, has, through lots of encouragement and work, become a compassionate advocate for the disabled, including times when people are vocalizing or moving in ways that she's not used to or doesn't understand. We all learn and grow from the diversity of community around us. Randy, there's great advice above about sitting near exits, etc., but as a caregiver you need this vacation too. Don't let others' negativity stand in the way of that.

Gathering information for our July trip. Bringing our two little foster ( process of adopting 1!) guys with us. They have CP ( spastic quad) and multiple medical complexities ( chromosome deletions, global delays, cognitive disabilities and many other) Going to try for a DAS to see if they qualify, will figure it out if not. My one big question is if anyone has experience with a child that is LOUD and gets excited and “vocalizes” ( he is non verbal but makes a lot of loud excited screaming sounds) our family is generally used to this and telling him to have “quiet lips” doesn’t always work. I’m more worried about “inside” attractions (space ship earth, EPCOT aquariums, mickeys philharmagic) should we just skip these thing attractions? I know we have the “right” to enjoy these things also ( but I am painfully aware of other people staring or composing that My child is “ruining” their experience...cause they can’t hear over him) can we try to stand/sit near an exit ( philharmagic)? Please honestly tell me what the best thing is to do. We want him/us to have fun but there is nothing worse than someone staring at us/him because he’s just being “loud” ( but not “meaning” too). This is heavy on my heart ❤

Hearing your neurodiverse kids' excitement would actually bring a smile to my face. I love to hear kids having a great time. As a special needs teacher, kids who are loud don't bother me...it's actually usually the neurotypical adults who are glaring at those kids who I truly have a problem with. As a parent, I think it would be an excellent "teaching moment" for my own children to understand that some children with special needs express themselves differently and that we need to embrace happiness for all children. I hope you ride EVERYTHING and enjoy every moment! Big hugs and happiest wishes for an amazing trip!

ETA: You'll get lots of opinions on here! Luckily, those who are discouraging you from behind a computer probably don't have a trip planned at the same time as you! ;)

Last edited:
Why “wow”? I asked “respectfully”. We have fostered for the past 14 years, but “between placements” ( as we have 3 bios and 1 older adopted children) we wouldn’t choose to go somewhere that was “loud” if we didn’t like loud? ( or hurt my ears due to a disability) I would have never set foot in a “Chuck E Cheese”. I was just honestly ( and respectfully) curious that if your number one thing is NOT wanting to be around loud screaming children ( happy, sad, mad, otherwise from typical or atypical children) why you would choose to still frequent one of the loudest places on earth?
We have gone to Disney solo ( without any kids) and saw/heard loud screaming children. However they did not “ruin my experience” as this person said. So I was genuinely trying to figure out why one would go somewhere that had loud, yelling children if that is something that would “ruin your experience”
I would go to Biltmore House, or Blackberry Farm or an exclusive adults only resort of screaming ( happy/sad/angry children would ruin my experience.
That is all I was saying

I’m not sure of your point/question? If the smell of animals would “ruin an experience” for me, I would not go to a zoo. ( Because that is going to smell like animals and therefore ruin my experience which is what the poster wrote) I have “raised” 40 children over the past 27 years. Bio, adopted and foster. Of course I Never told/expected my children to scream/yell in public. If they were “excited” we would try to calm them down. This is a no-brained to me. I am 50 years old, so I take offense to your comment of “parents these days”. I have been at this parenting gig for quite a long time and have educational degrees and trainings in many many areas. I do sort of “expect” him to vocalize. It is not “bad” that he vocalizes, it is his way of communicating. Why would I want to “stop” his desire to communicate? I was simply ( and the problem with written text is that genuine intention cannot come through) wondering why one would go somewhere with so many children, making children noises, like Disney World, if that would “ruin their experience”. If they had not said that any type of loud child noise ( happy, sad, angry” ruined their experience, I wouldn’t have thought twice about it.....
Example: Going to a party with a lot of people all talking and doing what most people do at a party gets me very anxious. If I went, it would truly ruin my experience at the party and I would be miserable. Therefore I do not go to loud, crowded parties.

Why “wow”? I asked “respectfully”. We have fostered for the past 14 years, but “between placements” ( as we have 3 bios and 1 older adopted children) we wouldn’t choose to go somewhere that was “loud” if we didn’t like loud? ( or hurt my ears due to a disability) I would have never set foot in a “Chuck E Cheese”. I was just honestly ( and respectfully) curious that if your number one thing is NOT wanting to be around loud screaming children ( happy, sad, mad, otherwise from typical or atypical children) why you would choose to still frequent one of the loudest places on earth?
We have gone to Disney solo ( without any kids) and saw/heard loud screaming children. However they did not “ruin my experience” as this person said. So I was genuinely trying to figure out why one would go somewhere that had loud, yelling children if that is something that would “ruin your experience”
I would go to Biltmore House, or Blackberry Farm or an exclusive adults only resort of screaming ( happy/sad/angry children would ruin my experience.
That is all I was saying

Your response was really no different than people who say “If your child has a disability and can’t wait in line, why bring them to a place with lines?” Or “If your child has a disability that makes it difficult for them to be in crowded, loud places, why would you bring them to one of the loudest, most crowded places in the world?”

While I did note that you said you would remove them from the situation if they became too loud, you also said that they had every right to be there. That’s true, to a extent...no one who is being disruptive and can’t be calmed, disability or no disability, has to be permitted to stay. Not saying at all that your child would get to that point, but there are limits to accommodations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter