Child with loud vocalizations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure of your point/question? If the smell of animals would “ruin an experience” for me, I would not go to a zoo. ( Because that is going to smell like animals and therefore ruin my experience which is what the poster wrote) I have “raised” 40 children over the past 27 years. Bio, adopted and foster. Of course I Never told/expected my children to scream/yell in public. If they were “excited” we would try to calm them down. This is a no-brained to me. I am 50 years old, so I take offense to your comment of “parents these days”. I have been at this parenting gig for quite a long time and have educational degrees and trainings in many many areas. I do sort of “expect” him to vocalize. It is not “bad” that he vocalizes, it is his way of communicating. Why would I want to “stop” his desire to communicate? I was simply ( and the problem with written text is that genuine intention cannot come through) wondering why one would go somewhere with so many children, making children noises, like Disney World, if that would “ruin their experience”. If they had not said that any type of loud child noise ( happy, sad, angry” ruined their experience, I wouldn’t have thought twice about it.....
Example: Going to a party with a lot of people all talking and doing what most people do at a party gets me very anxious. If I went, it would truly ruin my experience at the party and I would be miserable. Therefore I do not go to loud, crowded parties.

Would you find it acceptable if people questioned you bringing your children to WDW because they cannot handle the lines? Or need other accomodations?

Your response was really no different than people who say “If your child has a disability and can’t wait in line, why bring them to a place with lines?” Or “If your child has a disability that makes it difficult for them to be in crowded, loud places, why would you bring them to one of the loudest, most crowded places in the world?”

While I did note that you said you would remove them from the situation if they became too loud, you also said that they had every right to be there. That’s true, to a extent...no one who is being disruptive and can’t be calmed, disability or no disability, has to be permitted to stay. Not saying at all that your child would get to that point, but there are limits to accommodations.
You are missing my point. I only commented because they said it would “ruin their experience”. As far as having a right to be there, well, they do. All children do. So I’m not sure where you are going there besides being mean and hateful. My kids have a right, your kids ( if you have them) have a right. I also said I was “going to try for a DAS” I never said that we deserved it or expected it. If waiting in line with them “ruined my experience” it’s quite simple, I wouldn’t go. I never said HE had a difficulty with crowds or lines. I said he vocalizes loudly. I did not mention a thing about “waiting” or being “crowded” or “too loud”. His ( both of theirs) whole lives are “waiting”. Waiting fir someone to get them out of bed, get them dressed, get them fed through their g tubes, get their braces on...my boys wait ALL the time. My post was about one of them being loud ( unintentionally due to a disability) I did not ask for special treatment. I simply asked others what their experience was with this so that I, like I always do for my boys, could be prepared to know if people would be annoyed with him for simply being himself. He can’t help being loud, he’s cognitively 15 months old. He would never hit anyone ( which I saw mentioned) he’s little and just wants to see Mickey Mouse. I’m just not sure, still, what the point is that you are trying to make? This is my life, his life, we live it everyday, unlike someone who reads someone’s well intentioned question for “help” on a disboard that wanted to know if my child would be “stared at” ( like we always are) at Disney World. Don’t we all go for a “magical vacation” no matter our circumstances and possibly, just possibly to “get away from it all”? You really do not need to bring up the fact to me that “there are limits to accommodations”. Everyday, all day long, my boys and I live that truth

OK, folks, enough about why someone might be at a (noisy, crowded, etc.) location. I guess it's time for a reminder that "tone" may be very hard to convey in writing, unlike in spoken discussion.

Would you find it acceptable if people questioned you bringing your children to WDW because they cannot handle the lines? Or need other accomodations?
Somehow, this has become an attack on me and I’m not sure how? I only said it because they said it “ruined their experience”. If I had said, I do t want to go to Disney world because waiting in line ruins my experience, people would say, then why would you go ( knowing you have to wait in line?) I’m just wondering, if it “ruins your experiences” to have young children screaming with happiness/sadness/fear, then why go somewhere that is happening all the time? ( and it’s ok to happen there....).

yes teaching no screaming is one thing but also how well did your kids do at age 15 months as the poster has said is functioning age of child in question. Did your toddlers always follow that rule? or did you leave that age home with sitter until older

Of course they did not always behave. But I did teach them not to scream for no reason. I see many parents that do nothing when their child starts with the ear piercing screeches.

I’m not sure of your point/question? If the smell of animals would “ruin an experience” for me, I would not go to a zoo. ( Because that is going to smell like animals and therefore ruin my experience which is what the poster wrote) I have “raised” 40 children over the past 27 years. Bio, adopted and foster. Of course I Never told/expected my children to scream/yell in public. If they were “excited” we would try to calm them down. This is a no-brained to me. I am 50 years old, so I take offense to your comment of “parents these days”. I have been at this parenting gig for quite a long time and have educational degrees and trainings in many many areas. I do sort of “expect” him to vocalize. It is not “bad” that he vocalizes, it is his way of communicating. Why would I want to “stop” his desire to communicate? I was simply ( and the problem with written text is that genuine intention cannot come through) wondering why one would go somewhere with so many children, making children noises, like Disney World, if that would “ruin their experience”. If they had not said that any type of loud child noise ( happy, sad, angry” ruined their experience, I wouldn’t have thought twice about it.....
Example: Going to a party with a lot of people all talking and doing what most people do at a party gets me very anxious. If I went, it would truly ruin my experience at the party and I would be miserable. Therefore I do not go to loud, crowded parties.

If you read my statement clearly, I was not talking about children with special needs. Everyone knows that they can not help it. There is no reason why a typical child should not be taught social behavior and that includes not screaming in a theater full of people. We live in a society and the goal of everyone should be to not be a burden on others. A person with a hearing issue is no less "worthy" to go places then anyone else. Who is "more important" in this scenario? The person who has issue with loud noises or the person who just screams for no reason? The answer is both of them need to do what is best not to bother others. We have become so selfish as a society and everyone's default went from, "I don't want to bother others" to "I don't care about others".

Respectfully, why would you choose to go to Disney knowing there will be many ( typical and a typical) children screaming, shrieking, laughing, crying or yelling?
We rarely go.. every 5 years or so, and during the weekdays at a time most kids are in school.

families with kids don’t have a monopoly on being more worthy or entitled to go to Disney.

Maybe you could talk to the cm at each attraction and see what they think would help, ie sitting in a certain place or whatever. If there’s something your child just doesn’t want to do you can always use child swap. And yes, a loudly vocalizing person WILL bring looks and attitudes but you should just ignore it. Your child is more important than their opinions. Obviously where and when you can, remove the child if he’s being extremely disruptive, but don’t focus on it so much that you lose sight of the fun and memories you’re making.

I think your best option is to use your judgement in the moI personally don’t feel that anyone’s enjoyment supersedes another’s experience and believe all children should have the opportunity to experience things at least once.
I’m also a foster parent and I’ve also learned that all experiences aren’t for all kids. I’ve had kids in my life who loved the theater or dining in restaurants and kids who couldn’t handle it.

When that situation occurs you find something that child can enjoy appropriately. For instance my niece loves the theatre and Broadway level shows my foster daughter same age can’t handle it but wants to be involved so we take her to something like Disney on ice or the blue man group instead. It wouldn’t be fair to the other guests to deal with my kid talking crying melting clapping when their experience counts as much as hers.
Some examples of shows I think would work for your children possibly are the frozen singalong or the Disney junior show because of the nature of the interaction and targeted ages. I’d avoid carousel or progress and it tough to be a bug. One because it can be long and arduous for littles with the inability to leave and the other because it can be quite scary and overwhelming

Back to the original topic. I would avoid Carousel of Progress, as you cannot leave once it starts. If anyone tries to leave, it freezes and at best the whole scene restarts. At worst, it breaks. I was there once when it happened.
Thank you! This is helpful and constructive!

We had a negative experience with a vocalizing child when my kids were very little. At Turtle Talk with Crush, they ask the kids to sit in front on the floor and parents in back on benches. A little boy sat behind my 4 year old daughter and during the show he was making loud noises (clearly a medical issue) and then started waving his hands all around vigorously. I couldn't totally see what was going on up there, but at the end of the show she returned to us crying that the boy had screamed in her ear and hit her. She was just too little/unsure of herself to move away from him. We talked about how he must have been unable to control his voice and hands and didn't mean to hurt her, calmed her down, and moved on with our day. All of this to say, please don't send him to sit away from you among the other kids at Turtle Talk. Sitting by the exit where you can help him or take him outside sounds ideal. I hope he has a magical trip!
I am sorry you had a negative experience! I do hate to hear that! He definitely should have not been unattended. ( that is just a reality) I would honestly have sat with my dude(s) ( if they would even get close to the screen! Lol) there is so much “impulsivity” and often times ( due to my boys severe spasticity) involuntary muscle jerks ( arms flinging, legs kicking) I stay close and help them “remember” by putting my hands on their bodies/legs ( and just not sitting close to others) they would never intentionally hurt another child, but a 15 month old in a very skinny ( g tube) 5 year old body can hurt someone accidentally. Thank yiu for this reminder! This is very helpful and I appreciate you bringing it up!

Gathering information for our July trip. Bringing our two little foster ( process of adopting 1!) guys with us. They have CP ( spastic quad) and multiple medical complexities ( chromosome deletions, global delays, cognitive disabilities and many other) Going to try for a DAS to see if they qualify, will figure it out if not. My one big question is if anyone has experience with a child that is LOUD and gets excited and “vocalizes” ( he is non verbal but makes a lot of loud excited screaming sounds) our family is generally used to this and telling him to have “quiet lips” doesn’t always work. I’m more worried about “inside” attractions (space ship earth, EPCOT aquariums, mickeys philharmagic) should we just skip these thing attractions? I know we have the “right” to enjoy these things also ( but I am painfully aware of other people staring or composing that My child is “ruining” their experience...cause they can’t hear over him) can we try to stand/sit near an exit ( philharmagic)? Please honestly tell me what the best thing is to do. We want him/us to have fun but there is nothing worse than someone staring at us/him because he’s just being “loud” ( but not “meaning” too). This is heavy on my heart ❤

First I want to give you some virtual hugs! I work in an elementary school, in particular I often get the pleasure of working with a non verbal 9 year old little boy who has stolen my heart! He is very loud when he gets excited, tired, over stimulated, etc BUT never once have I thought to myself "He is ruining this for everyone else". I do know that people stare however, and I don't think that will ever go away. Kids stare too but they are more inclined to ask me why he yells or if they can do anything to help them. They don't get frustrated with him at all. You work hard momma and I know how exhausting and tiring caring for your babies must be. You go on this vacation, you ENJOY whatever ride, show or restaurant you want and know that there are far more people who will not care if he gets a little loud. Disney is for EVERYONE! :tinker:🥰🧡💛💚💙💜

Also I would definitely do the aquariums I find it’s a really calming area and is all respite from the heat and crowds. Water tends to be relaxing and I’ve yet to meet a child that doesn’t love an aquarium . It’s a great calm down area

We rarely go.. every 5 years or so, and during the weekdays at a time most kids are in school.

families with kids don’t have a monopoly on being more worthy or entitled to go to Disney.
And if you read my comments, you will see I agree. Sorry it took us so long to get here, especially if it was my fault.

I think your best option is to use your judgement in the moI personally don’t feel that anyone’s enjoyment supersedes another’s experience and believe all children should have the opportunity to experience things at least once.
I’m also a foster parent and I’ve also learned that all experiences aren’t for all kids. I’ve had kids in my life who loved the theater or dining in restaurants and kids who couldn’t handle it.

When that situation occurs you find something that child can enjoy appropriately. For instance my niece loves the theatre and Broadway level shows my foster daughter same age can’t handle it but wants to be involved so we take her to something like Disney on ice or the blue man group instead. It wouldn’t be fair to the other guests to deal with my kid talking crying melting clapping when their experience counts as much as hers.
Some examples of shows I think would work for your children possibly are the frozen singalong or the Disney junior show because of the nature of the interaction and targeted ages. I’d avoid carousel or progress and it tough to be a bug. One because it can be long and arduous for littles with the inability to leave and the other because it can be quite scary and overwhelming
I’m laughing ( not at you!) but I couldn’t even get my typical SS to sit through ITTBAB! Lol!! When Hopper slams down in the stage and the “spider darts” came “pftttting” out, we were OUT OF THERE! EVERYTIME!!! Lol!
but, thank you, this is helpful! Talking to CMs is a perfect plan! ( and AVOIDING ITTBAB! 🤣🤣)!

Also I would definitely do the aquariums I find it’s a really calming area and is all respite from the heat and crowds. Water tends to be relaxing and I’ve yet to meet a child that doesn’t love an aquarium . It’s a great calm down area
Thank you! This was something I had high on my list! There is something so calming and soothing about the water, fish, and the lower lighting! I am looking forward to this!!!

First I want to give you some virtual hugs! I work in an elementary school, in particular I often get the pleasure of working with a non verbal 9 year old little boy who has stolen my heart! He is very loud when he gets excited, tired, over stimulated, etc BUT never once have I thought to myself "He is ruining this for everyone else". I do know that people stare however, and I don't think that will ever go away. Kids stare too but they are more inclined to ask me why he yells or if they can do anything to help them. They don't get frustrated with him at all. You work hard momma and I know how exhausting and tiring caring for your babies must be. You go on this vacation, you ENJOY whatever ride, show or restaurant you want and know that there are far more people who will not care if he gets a little loud. Disney is for EVERYONE! :tinker:🥰🧡💛💚💙💜
It’s awesome people like you that help me raise my kiddos. Our school team ( our aide 😍😍 and teachers, PT, OT, SLP, Bus Driver, bus aide, etc...) make it possible for him to go to school and enjoy life there! My love goes out to you and being a support to his family. Without my supports, o would literally be nowhere!
mom a side note, there is something so fun about watching a non verbal child/adult/individual light up with joy and verbalize their excitement! Sometimes I have to remind myself that a year ago, he could make NO sounds at all! Thank you fir your kind words and your work❤️

Also pirates and haunted mansion tend to be very triggering even for older kiddos who’ve ridden it before( I’m talking about my 8 year old who suddenly decide after riding it for years they were evil and wouldn’t get anywhere near them). I think we all know our kids best and have to remember what what works for them even if us parents and caregivers have to miss out on an old favorite in the meantime. In 2019 I had a kiddo who couldn’t handle parades and fireworks figured this out after spending a couple hundred bucks on the Christmas dessert party :sad2:. She said her favorite part was the cheese!

As someone who sometimes doesn't handle loud noises (like screaming kids) well, especially when my anxiety is high, I say do what you need to do for you and your kids to have a wonderful trip.

It is one thing to let a child run around, screeching and screaming for no reason while the parent sits there playing on their phone doing nothing. Especially a child old enough to understand not to do that.

It is a totally different thing for a special needs child to vocalize excitement. Especially if the parent does seem to be trying to bring the noise level down, even if without success.

A big difference to me is how the parent handles it... and I can tell from your posts OP that you do what you can. You even said you would be willing to leave if it got too disruptive. That is more then a lot of people and I thank you for thinking of others.

To me it is a give and take. We all have to meet in the middle and sometimes make compromises. By going to Disney, I know I will need to deal with loud kids and sudden noises. It is a part of it. But I am always appreciative of a parent doing what they can or taking the child out when it continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter