• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Childs Menu - food he doesn't eat

colonels cruisers

Mouseketeer
We have purchased the dining plan but just realized that DS (almost 5) doesn't really eat child menu food. Yes it is strange but no mac'n'cheese, fried anything.. For example we are going to Coral Reef and for him Salmon is its own food group. Salmon isn't a choice for him. Our thought is that we will order 2 adult meals for the 3 of us and share. I should also mention that he eats more than I do (if only I could stay as thin as him though)

Anyone with a similar 'problem'? Did you get any flack for sharing like this?

Thanks

Just some words of wisdom - my DD was 9 last year and at child's price but didn't care for some of the kids meals. I let her pick what she wanted at CS if it happed to be a burger (adult meal) that is what we ordered. Disney pools the credits so we used 1CS for that meal. I know will not do this but it worked for my family.

As for the Coral Reef I would ask if they could serve him a child's portion of salmon. Disney is pretty accomodating.

I notice Tusker House and Sunshine Seasons have Salmon as a counter service meal listed. It is an adult meal and you could order it for him if you ate there.

This is one of the reasons that the DDP wont work for me. DS is 5 and twice on our Easter trip he ate the whole adult portion of Prime Rib at Olivias. If i were you I would try and do buffets. The kids can eat from the adult buffet no problem and many of the buffets have salmon.

My 4 year old DD did liked the buffets because she could get salmon for dinner which she loves. Also some of the TS places had more interesting items on their childrens menu than others. The Concourse has a kids filet mignon which my daughter also loved. You should check out the menus on DIS or Allears to see what would appeal to your son.

We have the same problem. My DD-5 loves the mac-n-chees, hotdogs, chicken fingers. However, my DS-9, likes sushi, lobster & prime rib!!! (yes he is as expensive as he is difficult :drinking: )

We decided to pay the adult DDP for him even though he is 9. So we will have 3 adults & 1 child DDP on our trip. It made the most sense for us.

My son isn't much for kids food either, he is only 3 though so will share some of mine, he eats plenty but most of disney's servings are way to large for me. I see us wasting alot of kids credits, but we are on free dining so I can't complain, it was free to begin with!

Just wanted to add that the kids can order regular appies at Coral Reef. My boys had Calamari (special appie that night) and caesar salad.
When next we go we'll do buffets (we did only a breakfast one this time) for the same reason. Our boys just eat alot and diverse food.

There is a fish selection on the children's menu at Coral Reef, at least when we were there in December. I don't know if it's salmon, maybe mahi mahi? But my son really enjoyed it (he doesn't like mac & cheese or chicken nuggets/fingers either.)

I have the exact same problem both my sons (7 and 5) hate kid foods...they want steak, fish, lobster, shrimp, salads the works....I was totally stressed about about this because I knew that since there were two of them they couldn't just share some of my food.

It just happens that we are going as a whole family (MIL, FIL, BIL, SIL and thier three kids) my niece is 10 so therefore an adult on the disney plan and hates adult food she wants nuggetts, mac and cheese, hot dogs the works so we are planning her to eat my boys meals and my boys split her adult meal. I hope it works for us. LOL

With 11 of us it just worked best to do the DDP or we might not have. We did plan a few meals so they could order steak at Concourse and such. I really wish Disney would make a more grown up tasting kids menu as well as the "normal" kid foods.

This Sept. will be our 3rd time on DDP. :thumbsup2 It's myself DM46, my mom, 66, and my DD6. We frequently shared 2 meals between the 3 of us with no problem. Servers were fine with this and we wasted less food. We don't normally eat appetizer, entree, and desserts when we go out. The only place you can't share/split is of course, buffets and "all you care to eat" Hope this helps! Happy Dining :goodvibes .

Added-my DD6 princess: also doesn't always want kid's menu food. One of her favs. is the sitcky wing appies at Kona Cafe. It's a meal for her with enough to share with me. While she does like mac n cheese and corn dogs, she also likes non-fried chicken, salmon, and loves broccoli. :lovestruc

My dd (age 4) won't eat many of the kids choices either. She does like Mac-n-cheese but I am not going to let her just eat that for a week :crazy2: She won't go anywhere near a hot dog, chicken strips, or pizza.

She mainly wants fruits, veggies, and bread. We went ahead and purchased the dining plan. I am sure if there is ever an issue with no options for her they will work with us to get something for her.

Check out menus on allears, you will find that some restaurants are serving "normal" food to kids. Spoodles offered a choice of chicken (not fried) or steak with mashed potatoes and veggies, and app choices included salad, fruit salad or flat bread pizzas. Rose & Crown and 50's Prime Time both offer grilled chicken. Our kids both really enjoyed Teppanyaki, where the kids' choices include teppan style chicken or shrimp with veggies and rice. As others have said, buffets would be a good choice for you too. My son and I both really enjoyed the salmon at the Crystal Palace and Hollywood & Vine dinner buffets. Kona Cafe, which we all loved, has an extremely typical kids menu but our son was allowed to order an adult appetizer and dessert since there aren't any on the kids menu.

ratfam said:
Check out menus on allears, you will find that some restaurants are serving "normal" food to kids. Spoodles offered a choice of chicken (not fried) or steak with mashed potatoes and veggies, and app choices included salad, fruit salad or flat bread pizzas. Rose & Crown and 50's Prime Time both offer grilled chicken. Our kids both really enjoyed Teppanyaki, where the kids' choices include teppan style chicken or shrimp with veggies and rice. As others have said, buffets would be a good choice for you too. My son and I both really enjoyed the salmon at the Crystal Palace and Hollywood & Vine dinner buffets. Kona Cafe, which we all loved, has an extremely typical kids menu but our son was allowed to order an adult appetizer and dessert since there aren't any on the kids menu.

I actually had thought of this just a little while ago and was looking at the kids menus as I remembered it seemed most restaurants had a decent kids choice that was of "normal" food!

I know Concourse Steakhouse had a steak on it and Teppanyaki has a GREAT kids menu!

We selected several of our ADR's based on the (healthy)variety of selections several restaurants offer for kids. Left up to me, I would have made all ressie's this way, but you can't keep some people away from Whispering Canyon and Coral Reef, no matter how hard you try! :rotfl:

We have the same issue. Except I'm the meanest mom in the world and i won't "let" ds eat mac and cheese or hotdogs or chicken and fries the whole trip, even if he wanted to. :rolleyes:

Anyways, we are planning to share with him from what we order at TS meals. We would never order/be able to eat all that food anyways. We do this when not on the dining plan and we'll do it this time on the dining plan. Buffets work well for us too becuase we just don't tell him about the kids part. We like BOMA a lot and Gabe just has some prime rib and potatoes or rice. If we're stuck, he gets the kids' pasta and meatballs but I'd rather him eat more healthy food that those chicken fingers and fries all the time. No wonder kids are getting so fat on this continent if that's what we consider "kids' food"!

Just my .02

Beth :wave:

ETA - I remember the menu at JIKO had a child's portion of salmon that was great so maybe they are coming on board with some of the children's menus too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter