Clothes for Formal Night on the Wonder

Chattyaholic

~For years I wanted to be older, and now I am~ Mar
DH and I have been on two Disney Magic cruises and both times we dressed appropriately for formal nights. We have invited my parents to take a Disney Wonder cruise with us this coming January. I have heard conflicting reports on the "dress code" on the Wonder. Some have said it is more "resort casual" and I'm wondering if this is really true. My Dad would need to buy a new suit for the cruise and he is not a "suit and tie" person. My DH doesn't really enjoy wearing a suit either and they both love the idea of just wearing khakis and polo shirts. Mom and I would still wear dresses (probably black short ones). But I'm wondering if the guys would feel "out of place" if they didn't wear a suit on formal night. Has anyone here dressed more casually on the Wonder, and if you did, how did you feel about it? What are the percentages for men wearing suits as opposed to just slacks and shirt? All opinions are welcome, thanks in advance!! :)

There is no official formal night on the Wonder although most people dress a bit nicer for Tritons.

I found that most people had as you described ladies: dresses or nice pants and men: polo shirts and pants. There were some jackets and a very few ties in Tritons but they were not the majority in my opinion. Palos was still very dressy however, jackets, ties and nice outfits for the women. I think your plan is perfect.

Thanks for the quick response. :) We won't be going to Palo this time, I know my Dad wouldn't be at all comfortable there. I'm glad to hear the majority of the men were not in suits. It would be nice not having to drag the garment bag with us this trip. :)

We were on the 6/29 Wonder. I think that it is not necessary for your Dad to go out and buy a suit. Pants and shirts seemed to be the norm. But, we did not go to Palo. If that is your plan, you should be fine. Have a great trip!!!

We were on the 7/17/03 Wonder and my husband wore dress pants with a polo shirt for dinner all three nights and fit in just fine. It was our first cruise and we heard all kinds of things about dress really nice for dinner atleast one night but to be honest I don't remeber seeing one guy dressed in a suit w/tie most were dressed just like my husband.

We were on the four night cruise July 6 - 10th. This was our second cruise.

The first cruise last summer, me and DD18, DS12 and DH all felt overdressed at dinners. We did not go to Palo's, where I think people were dressing a bit more formally. At Triton's, we saw a few dresses, skirts, and nice pants. But --- we also saw sleeveless casual tank tops, capri pants, sundresses, and disney t-shirts. DH had a suit on and was in the minority. Most men wore khakis and polo type shirts. DD and I had dresses on.

The tablemates we were stuck with the first cruise wore whatever they had on that day -- shorts, halters, t-shirts, etc. The man even wore a casual hat with fishing lures hanging off of it! Aside from their attire, which we really didn't care about, their occasional foul language and constant talk of how much people paid for things aboard the ship left me and my family wishing for a single table. They revealed things to us that I would rather have not known, like they left their other daughter (16) home alone while they were on the cruise, and they assumed her boyfriend would be sleeping in the house instead of out on the porch where he usually was! We asked to switch tables or even dining times, but it could not be accommodated. We had very little in common with these people and they made mealtime stressful for all of us. My DD felt I was being rude by not speaking to them much, but I was biting my tongue.

This cruise we went prepared. We wore resort casual as it is called here. I wore nice capri pants with sweater sets to dinner every night including Triton's. DH wore khakis and nice polo type tops. We fit right in. Yes, I did see some dresses in Triton's again this time, but very few. We were very comfortable going to the shows after dinner (we had early seating) in these clothes.

BTW, our tablemates were wonderful people this time! Very normal average people like us. We kind of liked having the experience last summer with the bizarro family -- just for some funny stories to tell! hahaha

:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter