Coco cay questions?

my4girls

Mouseketeer
I've been on Dcl and love castaway cay, it is the highlight of our excursions. Does Rccl own coco cay, is it their private island like Disney's? How does it compare to Castaway cay?.Thanks.

Neither owns the islands. Even Disney merely leases castaway from the Bahamas.

But yes cococay is royal's private island. I adore it. It's different from castaway but has it's own charm. Like chickens wandering.

While castaway feels like a huge endless sea of people, coco feels like little inlets, and each inlet has a group of people. Feels smaller, less like you're one of the hordes.

You do take a tender from the ship to the island, and just like ships can't always dock at castaway, conditions are sometimes too rough to tender to coco.

Thanks, do they have food there that is included, or is that an extra cost? It looks beautiful, and there is a lot to do there. Can you walk from beach to beach or is there a tram?

You may want to look at some videos on youtube. Here is one:

My daughter wants to go on the Enchantment of the Seas with friends during her next college spring break. I am trying to convince her to go on a Disney Cruise with us (but we have been on 13 Disney Cruises and she wants to try something different). I love Castaway Cay. CoCo Cay doesn't appeal to me, but she thinks it looks wonderful.

Thanks, this was very helpful. I never thought to look up videos on you tube.

in both cases, the cruise line bought property ...

I bought property in Florida and it is STILL a part of Florida

Coco Cay is Little Stirrup Cay of the Bahamas and Disney's Castaway Cay is still Gorda Cay on navigational charts .....

I can rename my house property "B RANCH" but on the county plots it is still just unincorporated county . . . .

Thanks, do they have food there that is included, or is that an extra cost? It looks beautiful, and there is a lot to do there. Can you walk from beach to beach or is there a tram?

The food is included. It is cookout style food, the last time I was there they had grilled chicken, burgers and hot dogs along with the various sides and desserts.

It is on the smaller side so no tram, very easy to walk from place to place.

just back from my honeymoon where part 1 was a RCL cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas. we stopped at Coco Cay for our 2nd stop and while it being my first time there I was very impressed. the tender ride from the ship was about 10 minutes and everything was right there upon getting off the tender. if of-age, get the Coco Loco! soooo good!

talking with 1 of the tour guides on my excursion, he had mentioned the island overall is about 1.5 miles long and about 0.25 mile wide. land was purchased from a Texas billionaire to set up the resort section. he has his own house on the island away from the tourists and stays there pretty much all the time.

the food they do on the island is basically an outdoor BBQ: hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled chicken, beans and some other stuff too.

in both cases, the cruise line bought property ...

I bought property in Florida and it is STILL a part of Florida

Coco Cay is Little Stirrup Cay of the Bahamas and Disney's Castaway Cay is still Gorda Cay on navigational charts .....

I can rename my house property "B RANCH" but on the county plots it is still just unincorporated county . . . .
While it may appear that the cruise lines bought property, both islands are on long-term, exclusive leases from the Bahamian government. Neither cruise line owns their respective island. Legally they are both still the property of the Bahamas, not DCL or RCCL.

While it may appear that the cruise lines bought property, both islands are on long-term, exclusive leases from the Bahamian government. Neither cruise line owns their respective island. Legally they are both still the property of the Bahamas, not DCL or RCCL.

Sorry, but while both islands are still governed by the Bahamas government, RCL's island is privately owned. Disney purchased a 99-year land lease for Gorda Cay directly from the Bahamas government in the early 90's (due to expire in 2096), but RCL purchased all but five acres of little stirrup cay from a private owner in Chicago (who still owns those five acres), who purchased the island from the Bahamas government back on the late 60's/early 70's.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...rnment-science

Last edited:
Love CocoCay! You can shop, eat, lay in a hammock, sit on a chair, or more active things! 2 summers ago when we were on Freedom, we stopped there. We booked the sea jets excursion. It was pretty fun. We have also done kayaking, which was my fav! The beach is very nice.

Attachments

• 069.JPG
    069.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter