College Program Questions Thread, Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since were on the topic of TV...:)

On another thread, I was asking about TiVo. Obviously it's not provided, and I have planned on buying my own to bring. However, I want to make sure - TiVo works on just about any TV/TV set up right? Most importantly, before I buy it, I just want to make sure they would work at the CP apts (I will be bringing my own TV). I just wasn't sure how TiVo works, because I have a DVR through my Comcast service at my place currently (you have to have a DVR box set up and add it to your service) - I just want to make sure this is not the case with TiVo, since Disney takes care of cable in the apts.

Nope, you're all good. I used to have TiVo and since it's a separate subscription service + money for the box itself it's compatable with any TV and cable service.

thank you very much I find that odd the cable provider wouldnt provide disney with one of their own channels but W/E i do not watch it anyway. my main concern was SPEED TV

Did anyone use the DVR service from Bright House? It says its $7 more per month, so I wonder if you could pay that bill directly to Bright House or if the only way to record shows would be through getting a TiVo?

I think so. Just put in a request. It can't hurt to ask. And yes. I had days where I worked in both the front and the back (sometimes more then once).

Do I put in a request before or after I get there? I guess I get assigned a role when I get there too, not before?

Also, I know (think) you've only worked at Casey's, but would you recommend somewhere like that over working at one of the little carts?

And, once again, thank you! You are a Disney Super Genius :laughing:

Oh, and Merry Christmas to everyone! :santa:

x x x

Do I put in a request before or after I get there? I guess I get assigned a role when I get there too, not before?

Also, I know (think) you've only worked at Casey's, but would you recommend somewhere like that over working at one of the little carts?

And, once again, thank you! You are a Disney Super Genius :laughing:

Oh, and Merry Christmas to everyone! :santa:

x x x

If you want to request a location, it has to be done before you arrive. Your location will have been decided by then.

As for doing QSR over ODF, I don't think I would want to work the carts and stuff. I was very happy being in a restaurant. It differs for everyone, though. My roomie was very happy doing ODF at DHS.

How many Interns is Disney taking this semester? Does anyone know for sure?

It varies (and no one knows an exact number). But I would guess it would be in the 6,000-7,000 range (plus anyone that extended from the Fall program).

You'll get assigned the location you're working when you get there. As for which section in that location you'll actually work will be determined on a day to day basis. We logged into a computer that would tell us where to go, who to break when we got there, etc. What popped up on the computer was based on what your managers checked off that you were capable of doing and the most important tasks that day came up on the computer first.

I worked at the carts and it had its pros and cons. No air conditioning/heat was one of the cons, but it was nice to not have to work the same location every day. I also liked my alone time when I worked, and I was on the parade route and got to watch all the shows in Frontierland. There was also a lot of downtime that I don't think would happen as much at one of the CS restaurants. We also closed before some of the CS restaurants. As for Casey's, I would never want to work there. Walked through there on my trip a couple of weeks ago and wanted to barf at the smell. Yuck!

How many Interns is Disney taking this semester? Does anyone know for sure?

Housing (at full capacity) is 7100. 1000 beds (Commons) are reserved for ICP who work at Epcot (World Showcase). About 900 students from the fall extended. And now the PIs will be living with CPs, so that may be an additional 100ish students (that's really a guess). The remaining number is about 5000 which would be for Career Start, ICP (non-Epcot) and then the domestic College Program students.

Housing (at full capacity) is 7100. 1000 beds (Commons) are reserved for ICP who work at Epcot (World Showcase). About 900 students from the fall extended. And now the PIs will be living with CPs, so that may be an additional 100ish students (that's really a guess). The remaining number is about 5000 which would be for Career Start, ICP (non-Epcot) and then the domestic College Program students.

Say what? When did that happen? I thought PIs lived in Northbridge (if there was room). I wonder why they would put PIs with the CPs.

Say what? When did that happen? I thought PIs lived in Northbridge (if there was room). I wonder why they would put PIs with the CPs.

My guess is b/c they cancelled the vast majority of the PIs and it was cheaper to shut down Northbridge and house them w/ the CPs. I'm fairly sure there were only a few dozen management PIs in the end, if that (all of them from the Puerto Rico interviews who got offers before the PIs started dropping like flies :sad1: ) and they all live independently anyway. I also think they reduced the number of CPs they accepted to free up beds for PIs and simply due to the economy.

All of that is speculation on my part, of course, but the way the PI thing went this semester, it was a bit of an emotional bloodbath.

And now the PIs will be living with CPs, so that may be an additional 100ish students (that's really a guess).

Just curious, but I would have guessed that number to be much lower based on the way the PIs were being cancelled. I'm very curious to know what percentage were cancelled as opposed to filled...

yea, and they're charging PI's from 125-133/week rather than the 80-100/week to live in CP housing.

Also, like gray said they were dramatically cut. some went from having like 10 to have 1 intern! and I believe the internship I applied for(youth education facilitator) which is a department run solely on interns, went from 6 to 3. . .

I am so grateful I got the CP i applied for! and will be living offsite! lol

Just curious, but I would have guessed that number to be much lower based on the way the PIs were being cancelled. I'm very curious to know what percentage were cancelled as opposed to filled...

They did cut a great deal - but casting told me that a couple hundred PIs were still starting in January. I do not know anything about the final numbers... but if there are at least 200-300 (which it sounded like) I just randomly guessed under 50% would stay in housing.

Casting said that several thousand students apply for PIs each semester, so I have no idea how many PIs were offered to students not on DIS or Facebook.

I have been reading these threads for a long time, however this is my first time posting though not my last! I've been deciding when to do a program and just gathering as much information as possible. I loveee reading these threads!! And Joanna is just a godly wealth of knowledge, I must say!! :goodvibes

I know that all my questions must have been answered previously, but I honestly can't find them at the moment!!

I have decided to do a Fall 2009 program, am nervous since I know that the apps open soon, and I had a couple questions!! :
1. I know they both must have their pros and cons, but in everyone's opinions, is Fall Advantage or Fall better?
2. What types of questions are questions I should be prepared to answer for my telephone interview (after I apply of course!)?
3. Are there any things that would be helpful to mention, or things they really want to hear from you when they are speaking to you during the interview?
4. Do I need to tell them of previous work experience, or do they see my college transcript?
5. Do you recommend taking classes? Do I pay for these classes?
6. Tips for applying, about the program, approaches or anything at all?! Haha thanks so much in advance, I really appreciate it. I get very anxious! :earsboy:

1. I know they both must have their pros and cons, but in everyone's opinions, is Fall Advantage or Fall better?
2. What types of questions are questions I should be prepared to answer for my telephone interview (after I apply of course!)?
3. Are there any things that would be helpful to mention, or things they really want to hear from you when they are speaking to you during the interview?
4. Do I need to tell them of previous work experience, or do they see my college transcript?
6. Tips for applying, about the program, approaches or anything at all?! Haha thanks so much in advance, I really appreciate it. I get very anxious! :earsboy:

1. I did a Spring program, but my concern with an advantage program is the hot summer. If you did a Spring program, you could easily extend if you liked your job, but that's not the case with fall unless you want to stay a whole other semester. I would go with just the regular program, you don't know how you're going to like it.

2. The questions are just like any other job interview - why do you want to do the program, name an experience where you had to make a bad situation with a customer better, if you are willing to work qsfb (you can be honest and say no) and then a question tailored to a role you want (ex, merchandising was "say you're out of something that a customer wants, what do you do?")

3. If there's any location you really want, it doesn't hurt to mention. Makes you sound passionate and you'll never get what you want in life if you do not speak up. Talk up about making a magical experience for guests or something. Also, try to read your interviewer. Mine was a stone cold *ahem* and was not in the mood to interview that day apparently so I had to get to the point with her. Another person I knew was on the phone with their interviewer forever and that's the type of person you'd want to talk about magic with.

4. It's been so long, but I know they call your school to make sure you're eligible. Do they ask for work experience on your application? I can't remember.

5. No! Unless you really really need credit for school and the class counts for credit. You are living in Florida. I would want all of my time off from work to be free time. They will try to guilt you into taking class, though. If you don't want to, just keep saying no thank you. The woman I dealt with was terrible and would not take no for an answer even though I mentioned many times I was a senior and it was not going to count for credit.

6. Apply early for best role selection. If you don't want to work QSFB, then say no thank you, my talents would be better elsewhere. Though, QSFB is not that bad, you get paid more and the hours are plentiful. Once you get down there, make a list of things you want to accomplish while living in Florida. And bring a car if possible.

My guess is b/c they cancelled the vast majority of the PIs and it was cheaper to shut down Northbridge and house them w/ the CPs. I'm fairly sure there were only a few dozen management PIs in the end, if that (all of them from the Puerto Rico interviews who got offers before the PIs started dropping like flies :sad1: ) and they all live independently anyway. I also think they reduced the number of CPs they accepted to free up beds for PIs and simply due to the economy.

All of that is speculation on my part, of course, but the way the PI thing went this semester, it was a bit of an emotional bloodbath.

yea, and they're charging PI's from 125-133/week rather than the 80-100/week to live in CP housing.

Also, like gray said they were dramatically cut. some went from having like 10 to have 1 intern! and I believe the internship I applied for(youth education facilitator) which is a department run solely on interns, went from 6 to 3. . .

I am so grateful I got the CP i applied for! and will be living offsite! lol

Wow, that is crazy. It's sad so many PIs were dropped. Thanks for the info, Gray and Laura.

I have been reading these threads for a long time, however this is my first time posting though not my last! I've been deciding when to do a program and just gathering as much information as possible. I loveee reading these threads!! And Joanna is just a godly wealth of knowledge, I must say!! :goodvibes

I know that all my questions must have been answered previously, but I honestly can't find them at the moment!!

I have decided to do a Fall 2009 program, am nervous since I know that the apps open soon, and I had a couple questions!! :

1. Last time I did a Fall program, I did FA. This time I would only be able to do Fall. :(. I definitely like the FA program. I love being in FL. So if you think you will love the CP, I would go for Fall Advantage. If you aren't as sure, I would go for the Fall program.

2. The questions range from personal questions (why do you want to do the CP?) to questions about the roles you picked.

3. Just be yourself, and be honest. The interview is really easy. :)

4. Nope. I believe it can be put on the application. But you don't have to bring it up if you don't want to.

5. I think the classes are interesting. If I am accepted for Fall 09, I plan on taking classes (even though I would have graduated, so no credit). The classes are free, but you pay for any books.

6. If there are specific roles you want, try to apply early. The CP has gotten very popular, and certain roles can fill up quickly (plus some only take a limited number of CPs). Good luck! Hope to see you down there.:)

If you want to request a location, it has to be done before you arrive. Your location will have been decided by then.

As for doing QSR over ODF, I don't think I would want to work the carts and stuff. I was very happy being in a restaurant. It differs for everyone, though. My roomie was very happy doing ODF at DHS.

You'll get assigned the location you're working when you get there. As for which section in that location you'll actually work will be determined on a day to day basis. We logged into a computer that would tell us where to go, who to break when we got there, etc. What popped up on the computer was based on what your managers checked off that you were capable of doing and the most important tasks that day came up on the computer first.

I worked at the carts and it had its pros and cons. No air conditioning/heat was one of the cons, but it was nice to not have to work the same location every day. I also liked my alone time when I worked, and I was on the parade route and got to watch all the shows in Frontierland. There was also a lot of downtime that I don't think would happen as much at one of the CS restaurants. We also closed before some of the CS restaurants. As for Casey's, I would never want to work there. Walked through there on my trip a couple of weeks ago and wanted to barf at the smell. Yuck!

Haha, some conflicting opinions there but thanks. I think I'd prefer one of the carts but I don't really know, so I think I'm just gonna let Disney decide! Thanks for all the advice though.

What does the actual work on the carts consist of? I wanna know what I might be getting myself into lol.

Haha, some conflicting opinions there but thanks. I think I'd prefer one of the carts but I don't really know, so I think I'm just gonna let Disney decide! Thanks for all the advice though.

What does the actual work on the carts consist of? I wanna know what I might be getting myself into lol.

Honestly, I think leaving it all up to fate is the best way to go. That's how I was with roommates especially. If I got a bad roommate by chance then it wouldn't be my fault, but choosing a roommate ahead of time that ended up sucking? That would be on my shoulders.

Anyways, there were essentially two parts of carts - kitchen and the carts. Oh and a stock team for dry goods like napkins, straws, etc. They were also responsible for the drink carts that went with each cart (heavy things!) and refilled ice. I worked for Stands West (Frontierland, Adventureland, and Liberty Square) so turkey leg, Sleepy Hollow, churro/pretzel, fry cart, Aloha Isle, Sunshine Tree, eggroll cart, hot dog. In the kitchen, people cooked the food and brought it out when they got a radio call for replenishment. At the actual cart, you'd sometimes work yourself and do all functions (register and serve the food), or you'd work with someone and one would do register, one would serve the food. At the beginning of the day, you set up the cart (start heating up any ovens, fill up the chips, etc). At the end of the night, you were responsible for cleaning a cart which involved scrubbing down anything the food touched, fill the napkin holders, dispose of the food that is left, etc.

I thought I'd toss in my two cents as well =). (Need to get more into this being a campus rep now, yay!)

1. I did a Spring program as well, I liked it. FA is longer then Fall, as Spring Advantage is longer then Spring.
2. Why you want to do this, what kind of person would you be looking for for this program, certain situations that may arise, how you'd deal with living situations, etc.
3. Your interest in Disney, how Disney has affected you, your favorite character, your favorite park, what park you'd like to work in, etc.
4. You should tell them about previous work experience. They have a spot for it on the application.
5. It's up to you. You don't have to. They have some courses where you have to do work for and some you don't. They also have classes that focus on a particular area (Communications, Entertainment, Engineering, etc).
6. Apply as early as possible so you have a better chance of getting a role you really want!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter