College Program Questions Thread, Pt 4

Any information you can give is helpful. My daughter is a sophmore in high school and interested. When does she need to start applying? How long is the program for?
First: if your daughter isn't involved in school, join something! ]
Second: Get a job. Disney loves to see work experience on your application
third: research the process. Tons of DCP videos from kids with info on the application, web interview and regular interview.
Fourth: Don't be really, really specific where you want to work. (My DD had her heart and soul wanting to work in the parks, but she never said anything to the interviewer, She ended up at AOA in the gift shop, loved it, worked seasonally at TL, and then moved to full-time photopass in the parks!!)

First: if your daughter isn't involved in school, join something! ]
Second: Get a job. Disney loves to see work experience on your application
third: research the process. Tons of DCP videos from kids with info on the application, web interview and regular interview.
Fourth: Don't be really, really specific where you want to work. (My DD had her heart and soul wanting to work in the parks, but she never said anything to the interviewer, She ended up at AOA in the gift shop, loved it, worked seasonally at TL, and then moved to full-time photopass in the parks!!)
Thank you. All helpful tips. Do they work just in the summer?

It depends on the program. Spring is Jan-Aug, Spring Advantage is Jan-Aug, Fall Advantage is May-Jan, Fall is Aug-Jan
Thank you I will have to look into it for my daughter. Can they do classes at the same time. Just wondering how this all works. I have a lot to research.

Hi! Our daughter was just accepted into the College Program! She will be working from August 1st, 2022 until mid-January 2023. This is still a bit premature, but my wife and I would like to visit her for Christmas week. (We've done Christmas at Disney a couple times before, so we know the drill!)

Our question has to do with her discounts. According to sites she's read, it looks like friends & family could be eligible for up to 40% (or even 50%) percent off resort rates. Since she doesn't start until August, I'm wondering if that would be too late to wait to book a resort for Christmas week. Also what is the possibility that could be a black out week?

I'm ok just booking as we normally do, but if there is a chance at 40% off a room, we'd obviously love to take advantage of that! Thanks!

Hi! Our daughter was just accepted into the College Program! She will be working from August 1st, 2022 until mid-January 2023. This is still a bit premature, but my wife and I would like to visit her for Christmas week. (We've done Christmas at Disney a couple times before, so we know the drill!)

Our question has to do with her discounts. According to sites she's read, it looks like friends & family could be eligible for up to 40% (or even 50%) percent off resort rates. Since she doesn't start until August, I'm wondering if that would be too late to wait to book a resort for Christmas week. Also what is the possibility that could be a black out week?

I'm ok just booking as we normally do, but if there is a chance at 40% off a room, we'd obviously love to take advantage of that! Thanks!
In the past I'd tell you that you'd have no issue, but I'd suggest you book something now. ONce she's worked for 'x' days she'll be able to book. She must make the call (we did a 3 way call with the CM). Discounts vary, but it's wonderful perk! Good luck.

In the past I'd tell you that you'd have no issue, but I'd suggest you book something now. ONce she's worked for 'x' days she'll be able to book. She must make the call (we did a 3 way call with the CM). Discounts vary, but it's wonderful perk! Good luck.

Thanks @Boopuff! That was my original plan, so I'm going to stick with it!

She won't be able to book a CM rate until she starts, and don't count on anything for Christmas at a discounted rate. If you want to visit, book a room now and once she is able to see availability for Christmas, if there is any, cancel your original reservation and rebook at the CM discount. Hope it works out for you and good luck to her!

The college interns have new campus off Western Way / Flamingo Crossings and new Target Starbucks Five Guys,Walgreens etc…plus a lot of new Marriott & Hilton Resorts. Huge campus …very nice area
The Fairmont by Marriott might be best price .Also close to Animal Kingdom .

My son also starts August 1. I joined the DCP Parents group on Facebook. There is a TON of excellent information on there. I highly recommend joining.

Hi! I plan on applying to the College Program when I turn 18, however, I have found myself confused by the "required education" segment. From the culinary program website:
  • "Full-time or part-time student in a Culinary Arts/Baking & Pastry program seeking a certificate or degree
    [...]​
  • Graduated in the past twenty-four (24) months"​
To clarify, this means I am eligible to apply if I was a part of a Baking & Pastry program at a technical college, obtained a certificate, and graduated earlier this year? I don't need to also be in college at the time of application? Apologies if my question is redundant, I noticed that the change that allows "Graduated in the past twenty-four months" is relatively new. Thank you!

I see that starting in March the CM’s park access is blocked out of Magic Kingdom for almost 3 months and they can rarely access the other parks for pretty much all of March and April. Is this super high amount of blockout dates normal? I am planning on doing the DCP for Spring ‘23 but it’s super discouraging seeing that CP’s are blocked out of the parks for half of their program when that is a super big perk of attending. Are the blackouts that bad during the fall program as well? Do some CP’s get an annual pass to try and get in or do they just deal with it?

I see that starting in March the CM’s park access is blocked out of Magic Kingdom for almost 3 months and they can rarely access the other parks for pretty much all of March and April. Is this super high amount of blockout dates normal? I am planning on doing the DCP for Spring ‘23 but it’s super discouraging seeing that CP’s are blocked out of the parks for half of their program when that is a super big perk of attending. Are the blackouts that bad during the fall program as well? Do some CP’s get an annual pass to try and get in or do they just deal with it?
It's hard to say what will be blocked out, this fall Epcot has its 40th anniversary, so it may be busier. Park attendance has been insane, paying guests are having difficulty getting on the attractions without over an hour wait, they are not going to allow Cast to enter when the demand is so high. Spring is hard because of all the school/college breaks, Easter, and the nice weather. Last year there were a lot of unavailable dates, too. CP's have purchased annual passes in the past, however none are currently for sale except for the Pixie pass for FL residents. CP's are not considered FL residents for a Disney pass. A lot of Cast do buy AP's for Universal and Sea World. With current leadership, I do think the trend will continue of more limited availability for Cast, Disney doesn't make nearly as much money from an employee as they do a regular guest. And with that many people willing to pay to enter....

Pre-covid, no. Post-covid, yes unfortunately (since the parks reopened and the reservation system added, there have been more blockout dates

It’s the Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott at Flamingo Crossing. I just came back from visiting my grandson and did a review on the Resorts Board. And fyi- it’s really hard to plan a trip when you don’t know what their schedule will be until a week or two before you get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter