Comfort of Sofa Beds

MickeyCrazed

DIS Veteran
What is your experience with the sofa beds at the Boardwalk?
Are they comfortable? We are taking our 80 year old grandmother with us on vacation and she will be sleeping on it. I am really worried about her comfort. Any advice? TIA! :)

I haven't found the sofa beds of any of the DVC locations to be comfortable. We have sleep on the ones at BW, OKW, and HH. It might not be very comfortable for your grandmother. You may want to bring an air mattress, like an aero bed, to put on top of it. That would help

My son (9) slept on the sofa bed and wouldn't switch when offered the regular bed so it couldn't have been that bad.

I slept on the sofa bed at VWL and was very comfortable. I don't know if it's because they are new - but I was surprised.

I was wondering about the sofa beds, too. DH and I are taking his mother, mother's friend, brother and sister-in-law to OKW in November. DH suggested to me that we sleep on the sofa bed and let DB & SIL have our nice, big, king-sized bed. I think my incredulous bug-eyed stare convinced him that it will take more than a crow bar to pry me out of that bed!!

I have wondered the same thing. One of the reps at the Boardwalk DVC office told me once that the sofa beds were top of the line (and he knew that I was already an owner). My sons have slept on the ones at OKW and BW and said they were okay. (Youth! can sleep anywhere, I thought). This past weekend DH and I were at VWL, and even though the sofabed was not used, I pulled it out just to see how it felt. I lay on it a while to watch tv, and it was surprisingly comfortable. The mattress itself was probably 2-3 times the thickness of a regular sofabed mattress. It was also very heavy to pull out, so I think it must be better quality.

I think they are ok, but if I was bring my mother I would invest in an airmatress or an eggcrate, if you have the packing space? You could even mail it down so you wouldn't get charged by the airline?!?

Actually, I think that for one person, sleeping on the couch unopened may be a bit more comfortable. It is a pretty firm sofa, and there would be no middle bar to bother your back. You might want to lie down on it both ways before you decide. Anita.

We just returned on Tuesday from BWV and our friends stayed the weekend with us. They slept on the sofa bed and said it was very comfortable. Just as Anita said, there is not a bar that runs through the middle of the bed to bother your back.

I have slept on the sofabed at BWV and it was very comfortable. I have also slept on the sofabed at OKW and that was horrible--the bar in the back was so uncomfortable that I had to put one of the sofa cushions under the mattress! I guess since the sofabeds at BWV are newer they are more comfortable and I did not feel the middle bar on the BWV sofabed.

The sofa beds at the DVC resorts are quite comfortable. My only problem with them is that I am 6'4" so I am a bit long for them. The only problem that I would forsee is that the person who gets the sofa bed sometimes has to stay up a bit later than they really want to because they might have to wait for everyone else to get to bed before they can retire for the night.

There is no difference in the sofa beds, same brand, maybe the one at OKw was broken because someone bent the bar not knowing how to open it.

We've had two experiences. In Oct. 2000 my sister and brother in law slept on the queen size sofa bed in a 1BR at the BWV. They said it wasn't awful, but wasn't great. They were our guests (meaning a free place to sleep for them) so they didn't complain too much, just answered my questions when I asked about their comfort.

In Jan. 2001 we were in a studio at BWV and my brother slept on the double size sofa bed. He said it was awful. He finally took the mattress off and put it on the floor.

We just slept on the sofa bed at HH, and found it to be pretty comfortable. But, I think it's because they replaced all the sofas and it is new. If your grandmother is 80, make the sacrifice and give her the bed!! :rolleyes:

Since there was a wide variety of responses regarding the comfort, I am going to buy the aero bed to place on top (just in case!)
There are reasons why my grandmother has chosen the sofa bed over the regular one. I am not selfish or stupid and that last comment really hurt! :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter