Comments about Guest Assistance Pass.

Note pad and pen work well if you don't use ASL. :)

Any advice for my daughter? She has a fear of being in crowded groups. Is fine if she can see her way out but panics in a group where she can't see a way out. She's an adult and has been leaving the parks when it gets too crowded. Misses her favorite rides a lot to. Fastpass is great for her but should she get a GAC? Most of her favorite rides have fastpass fortunately.

Pooh Bear

I don't think there's a GAC available for claustrophobia (sp?)... I can recommend doing the second parade, hanging out in Adventureland, and after Illuminations at Epcot, hang out in WS for about 15-20 minutes. The throng will be well into future world, and you can calmly stroll through WS, listen to the music, and watch the CMs closing up. It's really neat. That's all I can offer, sorry.

Flamingoes get their pink coloration from the shrimp that they eat. Shrimp are pink because, of course, they eat flamingoes.

Safari Steve
I just want to thank you for all of the info you took time to post When we are in WDW I can not wait to meet you in person. You are a truely caring guy. Thanks
P.s. maybe you could give a little training in caring to some of your fellow cast member esp. at the Pooh ride ;)

I have been holding off on replying to this thread... I have been distracted lately...

Safari Steve is a true friend to us here on the disABILITIES Board, and we appreciate his input and his patience.

The bottom line is this: despite the current level of effort and training of CMs at all the Disney parks and resorts, there is much more work to be done. We have been through this discussion before... the missing link is responsive, reciprocal communication between the CMs who are supposed to guide us to the proper entrances or accomodations and the guests with the various disabilities. No matter how much training they have gone through in Traditions, there are a significant number of CMs who still communicate an attitude of annoyance with those of us who must use the accomodations to make our vacations possible. We get conflicting information, and sometimes we get a very hostile response from the poorly trained CMs who see themselves as the guardians of the gate rather than the facilitators. This is something that I am sure Disney could improve, if they made it a priority.

Steve is NOT one of those CMs, and just like him there are hundreds of excellent, well-trained, sensitive, competent, caring CMs at the parks and resorts who are aware and do their best to do the right thing. We need more people like Steve to help us advocate for the easy changes that would make life better for the CMs and the guests.

I fully understand the need to vent frustrations... and I am very glad to see that everyone is working to get along. Sometimes we need to be careful not to push away the people who are in a position to help. Know what I mean? Lots of changes to be done, no one person can be expected to make it all happen.

We really do have to write that booklet, guys...

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

lisapooh, the answer to your question is Yes, get a GAC if your child cannot tolerate crowds and will panic in the queue. That is exactly what it is used for. In that case, you will advocate to use the "alternate entrance in case of mainstream lines" option. :)

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

Agorophobic seems like a good reason to avoid the lines to me, no matter what age. WDW definately does not want someone getting upset in the lines. I can relate a little becasue I am claustrophobic and some of the lines mildly bother me when they are tight, dark and crowded. I can't imagine how much more it would bother someone with agoraphobia.
The way things are set up now, she is just getting a place to wait that will hopefully be more tolerable for her, not anything that anyone SHOULD complain about.
In her case, it might help if she can have something written about agoraphobia to take with her to Guest Services since most people are not familiar with it.
SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter