Comparison for Flight of the Hippogriff

Scarlet_J

Mouseketeer
Is it more like Barnstormer or Mine Train?

My 9 year old doesn't like coasters too much. She's done Mine Train, but would probably skip it if she could. She's fine on Barnstormer. She doesn't mind the speed, she just doesn't like the drops.

I did see that, thanks. I kind of find it hard to tell from the videos. I was hoping for first hand experience.

For me, Barnstormer BUT there's a sort of steep part like 7DMT at the beginning and it's outside, so it gives me a moment of nerves. After that, piece of cake.

No real drops. More speed around the turns. My 8 year old - who was fairly scared of most rides - loved it.

I'd say it's nearly identical to Barnstorm IMO with a *slightly* larger 1st drop.

I'm not a coaster fan, I like thunder mountain, 7DMT, and Barnstormer, but not Space Mountain or Everest. I did flight of the hippogriff once with my 6 year old. She loved it, I hated every second of it! The first drop is pretty big and it goes fast for such a small little coaster.

My 10 year old was bored and said one and done. And she hates coasters. I never road Barnstormer so I can't compare. I think that Minetrain is faster.

Slower than Mine train. But reeeeeaaaallly short. Maybe like 50 seconds.

The Mummy coaster might be too scary, but look at some videos. My daughter tried it at six and got petrified. Next time around she liked it a little and now (at 8) she LOVES it. She likes to do things gradually and after doing the Mummy 10 times and a few slides in Volcano Bay she suprised us by asking us to join her going to the Hulk ride. And then Rip Ride Rockit. It just clicked one day :).

It’s more like barnstormer in my opinion. It doesn’t give you as much whiplash as barnstormer, and does give you a really neat view of Hogwarts.

Hippogriff is jerky as all get out. It reminds me of a short version of Primeval Whirl. It's very twisty and that stop at the end can cause internal bleeding. It seems longer than Barnstormer but not much. It's not nearly as fun as 7DMT. We often skip Hippogriff but never miss 7DMT. There is a drop on Hippogriff, but I think it's smaller than 7DMT. I don't really notice it, and I hate big drops, like Splash Mountain.

If your DS is fine on the Barnstormer, she'll be fine on hippogriff.
It's really the same kind of ride. You can't compare them turn for turn, but they're fairly similar.

the only diffrence being that there is a long lift at the startn, when at barnstormer the lift is somewhat shorter and there is a smallish drop before.

On hippogriff, during the lift, you get great views of the Hogwarts Castle, and of Hogsmeade. This alone is worth the ride.

Both Barnstormer and Flight of the Hippogriff are Vekoma Jr. Coasters, same trains, same track type and very similar. The major difference is that Barnstormer's track is 680 ft and Hippogriff is 1099 ft. Also interesting is that Barnstormer and Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster are mirror image layouts of each other.

Honestly I don't remember as it is the shortest ride ever. I think I blinked and it was done. Thank goodness we just walked right onto it. I can't imagine standing in line for it.

FotH takes 1:09, Barnstormer is 1:00. So both are very short.

I rode FotH 3 or 4 years ago with a co-worker on a business trip and it was very slow and boring. Halfway through, she turned to me and said, "I am going to put my arms up for something to do" Ha!

We had always avoided it on family trips (kids are young adults and love big coasters). This last trip, we decided to give it a try and ended up liking it. It felt MUCH faster than that first time I road it. We ended up riding it 3 or 4 times the days we were there - always with EP and very short, if any, waits.

I wouldn't wait more than 5 - 10 minutes for it, though.

I think it's pretty comparable to Barnstormer in intensity. The drop on FotH is probably slightly larger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter