Condo Timeshare recommendation when visiting Disney and Universal?

Penmac

Mouseketeer
We are a family of seven so we always rent a condo close to WDW. Planning our 2019 trip (dates TBD but likely late April or August), and leaning towards Wyndham Bonnet Creek again if I can get a good rate here. I hated the parking situation and lack of a Dunkin' Donuts within a stone's throw, but my kids really loved the pools and fireworks view. The location was great for visiting the parks. We have a car since we usually drive from the Northeast. Gulp.

But, we may change things up this time and do a couple days at Universal for the first time, in addition to a couple days at Disney. Cost effective, no. But my two older kids love HP. And although I am also a huge HP fan, I don't think I could travel all the way to Florida only for a 3 or 4 day Universal trip, even though that would be much more cost effective. I always need my Disney fix! Still considering waiting on Universal until they are older, but I am mulling it over, either way.

Anyway, looking for other condo options that maybe we are overlooking for visiting both parks. WBC is at least very close to one of our options. I don't mind the drive over to Universal if I know on two days we are saving big on commute time. However, looking for recommendations on condo or timeshares that people have enjoyed while visiting both Disney and Universal. Only interested in units with a full kitchen and washer/dryer. Maybe places we have already stayed are the best options, but still want to hear from people who have made the commute to both areas during their stay. Thanks for the advice!

We Love Marriott Cypress Harbour, about halfway between the two parks. Marriot Harbor lake is across road from Cypress Harbour. The Harbor lake one has pools that are geared to younger kids, as well as a niceness pool without the kiddie slides, while Cypress Harbour is more laid back vibe. Both have 2 bed 2 bath, full kitchen and full washer dryer sets in units. Easy access to both sets of theme parks.

There are so many great ones and it's easy to get around in Orlando. I really wouldn't sweat the location. We most recently stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club SeaWorld that is pretty much in between WDW and Universal and found it to be a beautiful, stunning resort. Sheraton Vistana Resort is a large property and always a good choice (closer to Disney). It's probably the one I stay in most often. It's very popular on this forum and is consistent in quality of units. It's been a while since I've stayed at any of the Marriott resorts, but those are always nice. These are some top ones. Also if you like Bonnet Creek, really and truly the drive to Universal is not that bad. Some sites I use for rentals from owners for timeshares are TUG2.net classified ads section (timeshare user forum) and Redweek.com (For Redweek.com if I see something I want to rent I join for a fee of $15 per year, so I just consider that part of my rental fee -- you can look by signing in as a guest).

I go to Orlando a lot, often getting those top ones if I get a great deal and sometimes taking others that might not be quite as nice as those but still lovely if the deal is right. Cypress Pointe and Cypress Pointe Grand Villas are ones I can often get a three bedroom in for a good price (two masters and a third small bedroom with a double bed) and is one I go for when I want three instead of two bedrooms and three baths instead of two (usually sleeps same number of people as the two bedrooms ones, but nicer choice for two couples for privacy). The three bedrooms have a pull out bed and a kitchen, plus a kitchenette that is pretty big too. The Cypress Pointe Grand Villa Place has an extra pull out bed in the lock off master too. We once had a group of 10 people in the Cypress Point Grand Villa unit - amazing. It's right outside of the entrance to Downtown Disney, so closer to Disney. You can also actually walk to a few restaurants from here. They have super warm pools (probably the warmest pools of all the timeshare places where we have stayed too) which is always a huge hit with my family, especially in the winter.

We stayed at a place near Universal called the Sunshine resort (pretty new resort). The unit itself was lovely and the large spacious balcony was out of this world (best balcony I've ever had in a timeshare resort). There was a perfectly nice little pool and hot tub area. It felt more isolated to me and I didn't think the surrounding area was as pretty. There was a non park thrill ride place walking distance from there. If you were doing Universal only, the location would be a good one. Orange Lake (nearer to Disney's Animal Kingdom) can be lovely, but sometimes they have originally given us units that we didn't like and rather than take it we drove back and asked if they had something else and they gave us a nicer unit. For this reason, it's not one I would recommend. They have a really nice waterpark area called River Island. We've done fine, but units are not consistent with some being lovely and near amenities and others being sub par (not horrible by any means, but you can do much better in the same resort and at other places).

Anyway, this gives you a few other names. I go to Orlando so often that I like to change things up and try different timeshares. There are so many in Orlando, so much competition that properties here are really kept up and are higher quality for the price than any other vacation destination that I have been to. What's not to love about renting a timeshare condo in Orlando.

Last edited:

It’s been years but we stayed at a condo in Vista Cay for one of our trips and really liked it. It was adjacent to one of my favorite Publix stores and very close to Universal and Seaworld. It did not have anywhere near the amenities of WBC but the accommodations and location were nice and convenient. If you’re looking for more of a resort, HGVC Seaworld may be a nice option but close to the outlet mall are HGVC Parc Soleil and Tuscany Village which make you a little closer to Universal than WBC. You have lots of options.

We Love Marriott Cypress Harbour, about halfway between the two parks. Marriot Harbor lake is across road from Cypress Harbour. The Harbor lake one has pools that are geared to younger kids, as well as a niceness pool without the kiddie slides, while Cypress Harbour is more laid back vibe. Both have 2 bed 2 bath, full kitchen and full washer dryer sets in units. Easy access to both sets of theme parks.

@Monykalyn , does Cypress Harbour have one bedroom units with a balcony? On the Interval site it has Cypress listed as having efficiency units and one, two and three bedroom units. I'm wondering if it's set up the Sheraton Vistana where the efficiency and one bedroom units are both lock offs, but the efficiency units don't have a balcony or full kitchen.

The Vistana is first on my list for this coming May, but I'm trying to figure out the "stay one time 4 years" thing and looking at other resorts also. We stayed at the Vistana once as a getaway in May 2018 through Interval (paid cash, not a trade or points) and once in September 2018 through Skyauction, which I think was an RCI deal. When we booked through Skyauction we got the "stay one time in 4 years" note on our reservation.

@Penmac, A friend of mine and her family of 6 stayed at Harbour Lake last month and loved it!

Actually, scratch that last post, lol! I realized I had the wrong page up on Interval and I was actually looking at the one bedroom units at Marriott Grande Vista, not Cypress. Sorry about that!! Not sure where my head was....
But if you do know of a good one bedroom unit through Marriott, please let me know.

Actually, scratch that last post, lol! I realized I had the wrong page up on Interval and I was actually looking at the one bedroom units at Marriott Grande Vista, not Cypress. Sorry about that!! Not sure where my head was....
But if you do know of a good one bedroom unit through Marriott, please let me know.
ugh I am BAD with keeping up with notifications.
Grande vista does have one bedrooms, and some do have balcony-we stayed in a 2 bed lockoff, so both had balconies IIRC-the 2nd "bedroom" was a studio with kitchenette, bed, pullout sofa. The Cypress Harbour and Harbour lake units we've stayed in have both been dedicated 2 bedroom, as well as Sabal Palms have been dedicated two bedroom.

There are so many great ones and it's easy to get around in Orlando. I really wouldn't sweat the location. We most recently stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club SeaWorld that is pretty much in between WDW and Universal and found it to be a beautiful, stunning resort. Sheraton Vistana Resort is a large property and always a good choice (closer to Disney).

Hi Kathy, we are staying at the Hilton Grand Seaworld in May, can you give me a little more info, this is our first time staying off Disney property so I am a little nervous, we got a fantastic deal for the Hilton Grand so we are looking forward to it. Any info on the hotel or tips would be so appreciated :-)

We enjoy staying at the Orange Lake Resort. The property literally bumps up to AKL's property...you can't tell when you are there but it does. The resort has different room types, as well as maybe 7 pools.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter