Confused on AKL resort?

dsnygirl2006

DIS Veteran
I am completely confused by this resort? Are there two different resorts (jambo house / kidani village) or is it just two different sections? Looking at booking a studio here when my 7 month window opens? Any recommendations on which one to stay at?? Thanks so much!

for studios, it doesn't make much difference. both buildings have nice pools.

jambo DVC is 5th floor only (plus a few club-level units on the 6th floor), so kidani gives you a shot at lower floors.

jambo house has a quick service restaurant (mara) plus boma and jiko. kidani has sanaa only.

kidani is the first bus pickup for the parks (so it might be full when it gets to jambo). jambo is the first bus pickup for DTD.

kidani 1BRs and 2BRs have an extra bathroom but that's a nonissue for studios.

I prefer the layout of the bathroom at Jambo and the fact that there are 2 sinks in the dressing area. So, if available, I book studios at Jambo, any view.

just so you know..it is true that it is one resort but two buildings...but it is a very long walk to the other building...it is best to take a bus between the resorts.

Jambo is the one where if you staying at a regular hotel room you would stay there. It was the 1st one built of the Animal kingdom lodges. DVC rooms for Jambo are on 4th??(not 100% sure about 4th) 5 & 6 floors. If you book a studio at Jambo standard view you should get a view of the pool or you could get lucky and get an obstructive Savannah view. (I am not 100% sure but I think you could get a parking lot view if you booked standard at Kidani). Both are great resorts. My kids might tell you the pool at Kidani is better (but guests can use both pools).

We stayed in a studio at Jambo when we were there and liked having the quick service restaurant on site.

Here's my usual post:

Jambo:
large impressive lobby, larger gift shop
busier atmosphere
larger pool, wimpy slide (IMHO)
steam room in workout area
counter service at Mara
value and concierge rooms
Two sinks in studios
rooms retrofitted from existing hotel rooms
Master bath has shower/jetted tub combo plus toilet in one room (toilet is split off)
Parking in lots
Bus to DTD first stop
Rooms on 5th floor, except for 5 2br lockoffs on 6th for concierge

Kidani:
smaller, more intimate lobby and gift shop
quieter atmosphere
splash area at pool, and better slide (IMHO)
rooms designed for DVC
extra bath in one and two bedrooms
separate shower and jetted tub in master bath
community hall
Under building parking
Park buses first stop
Rooms on floors 2 through 5

The walk between Kidani and Jambo lobbies is only about 10 minutes, and there is usually a shuttle (often a van/ golf cart) to take you between the two. You can also use buses. Just be sure to use park buses from Kidani to Jambo, and DTD from Jambo to Kidani.

As a DVC facility Disney treats these as 1 resort. Animal Kingdom Lodge points give me the 11 month booking window at either Jambo House or Kidani Village.

The internal bus system also treats this as 1 resort with two stops, so at all of the parks the signs will be for Animal Kingdom Lodge.

But -- Each building has its own check in counter and concierge desk. If you book a room at Kidani you go straight to that building. There is no need to stop at Jambo House first.

P.S. The walk between the two buildings is maybe 10 minutes. I am not a huge walker, and even with my tired disney feet, my family walks over to Jambo House several times during each stay, for meals at the restaurants and a stop at the larger store.

Mary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter