Connecting Rooms at Value Resorts

Makmcm

Earning My Ears
I understand that all the handicapped rooms at the Value Resorts have just one king bed. Therefore, my family would need two rooms. My question is, are the handicapped rooms connected to an adjoining room with two double beds? We need an interior door so that the disabled person can be heard by the rest of the family if he needs help during the night.

Has anyone had an experience in which a reservation request for connecting rooms (one of which is a handicapped accessible room) was not granted upon arrival?

Thanks for your help!

The ajoining rooms at the value hotels have 2 double beds. What is the total number of people in your party? If it is 4 or less when you talk to the special reservations section you tell them you need a handicap room with a roll in shower for a person in a wheelchair and you have how ever many people in your party and they willl take care of it.

Here's the phone number for WDW Resort Special Reservations:
(407) 939-7807
(407) 939-7670 [TTY]

And (just for clarification) when you ask for the rooms, Connecting Rooms is the term you want to use.
Connecting Rooms are the ones that have a door inside the room that connects them together. Adjoining rooms sound like they are the same thing, but they're not. Adjoining rooms are just rooms that are next to each other (they could even be across the hall from each other sometimes).

What I have been told is that if you request one of the fully accessible handicapped rooms, that is guaranteed. As Michigan said, Special Reservations should be able to get you what you need. You should see something on your confirmation letter that indicates it is guaranteed.

Thanks for the information. There are three of us that would be going, with the disabled person needing the King bed to himself. That's why it's important for us to have the interior door, being that he is not able to get himself into his wheelchair by himself in case of an emergency. We do not need a roll-in shower, but the furniture arrangement in the handicapped room is probably easier for him to maneuver around, as opposed to a standard room.

We have a family of 5 and so we reserved a room at POR with the trundle bed. But I needed an accessible room, and those did not have the trundle. So, they gave us, at no extra cost, a connecting room to the accessible room. They said that we should not be penalized for needing an accessible room. This sounds like it applies to your situation, too. Also, it was my impression that they actually assign the room when they make the special reservation, so I wouldn't worry that it won't be available when you get there. Enjoy your stay!

Wow, that sounds great. What time of year did you go? Was the resort otherwise near capacity? We would be going during July, which is a busy time of year, so I'm wondering if they would be as generous during peak season.

Hmmm, I'm calling this week to make a final payment. We had reserved two rooms at Pop Century, one for a wheelchair user and a room for us. There will be four in our room and three in the other!!! The CM didn't think it would be a problem. How can this be if all handicapped rooms only have a king bed. Is Pop Century different? Did I misunderstand?

Carla

Did you make your reservation through a regular reservations office or did you call Special (Medical) Reservations, at 407-39-7807. If you did not go through Spoecial Reservation you had better contact them as quickly as possible. Have your reservation number available. Explain what the potential problem is.

The value resort rooms are only 260 sq ft. The bathroom and sinks are at the back. Normal rooms have two double beds. To make the room accessible, they have to make the bathroom and sink area come further into the front of the room, so there is not room for two beds with necesdsary spaces between each and the walls. This could complicate matters.

Originally posted by Makmcm
Wow, that sounds great. What time of year did you go? Was the resort otherwise near capacity? We would be going during July, which is a busy time of year, so I'm wondering if they would be as generous during peak season.

We went mid-June, 2003, for a week and a half. I'm guessing the resort was full, since much of it was closed for construction.

I'm not sure if I was clear that our situation was two adults and three children. I think when that's the case they can guarantee connecting rooms (vs. when two families just want to be near each other).

Ask, and have them notate your wishes in your reservation file. My sister's and brother's families joined us a few days into the trip for the last week, and we'd requested that their rooms be near ours. It was put in our file. When I checked in, I politely mentioned it again, and the WONDERFUL CM looked ahead and blocked out two adjacent rooms so we ended up four rooms in a row!

Everyone I've ever spoken to at the special reservations number has been wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable--I highly recommend calling and asking them your questions. I think this is the number:

(407) 939-7807, ext. #1

An update. Tried to add the two extra people today. CRO did think a roll-away could be added to the wheelchair unit. But then huge problems, seems the computers were locking up, Special Services removed the lock on our reservation, but still the agent could not get the computer to take us. Very strange, they were supposed to call back (I was on hold on and off for nearly an hour). Still no confirmation. What a mess......

Carla

Sending some computer unlocking pixie dust toward the reservation computer for you;)
Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter