• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Considering a pop up. How to store it?

momz

DIS Veteran
we are wanting to move to a pop up after years of tent camping. We are thinking this might be the time due to aging bodies ( mid 40's) and aging kids (12 and 14). We want to do more traveling before the oldest goes to college, only 3 summers left.

We live in a subdivision with a home owners association. It cannot be stored in the driveway, and honestly I wouldn't here anyway because it is steeply sloped. So, our options are behind the house, in the third bay of our garage, or at a storage company nearby.

The storage company charges $50 per month for outdoor storage.

Behind the house is feasible, but we would need to pour a concrete pad for it.

In the garage would be tight, but is indoors which would prevent weather damage to the camper.

How do you store your campers?

momz, I have owned a popup for over 12 years now (10 years on the first, 2 years on the second) and I store mine indoors (always have).

My basement/garage is a 2-car garage on one half and then stairs/office on one quarter and unfinished basement on the other quarter. I bought both my units brand new and wanted to keep them in as good a condition as possible which is what indoors is. I never had to winterize my unit like you would if it's stored outside. So I just back the popup into the unfinished portion and then daily park a car in front of it on the garage side.

If you plan to own a camper for a while, this is the best way to take care of it. You can manage the other ways you mention but are you sure with the driveway slope you mention that you would be able to get it up and down the driveway in the first place (and not bottom out at the street) to pull it out at the start of a trip and put it away at the end of a trip.

The big thing about a regular popup with canvas bunk ends is never EVER put it away with wet canvas. When I got my unit home and I had left the campground in the rain or with lots of dew, I would pop it up in the driveway to dry out the canvas before closing it up and putting it away. Wet canvas breeds mold which stains the canvas and smells and eats away at the seam thread eve if it is "waterproof". That will lead to leaks eventually. On the rare occasion it was raining when I got home from a trip I rolled it into the driveway then a day or two later when it had stopped I rolled the camper out and popped it up to dry it and put it away.

I also closed it up with a tub of DampRid in it (available at Home Depot or hardware stores ) to collect the moisture that might be inside it. Moisture/mold is your enemy. I also cut up some Irish spring soap bars (DW approves of the smell) to put in a bowl inside while stored to give a pleasant scent so there is no musty smell when you open it up to use it.

Bama Ed

momz, I have owned a popup for over 12 years now (10 years on the first, 2 years on the second) and I store mine indoors (always have).

My basement/garage is a 2-car garage on one half and then stairs/office on one quarter and unfinished basement on the other quarter. I bought both my units brand new and wanted to keep them in as good a condition as possible which is what indoors is. I never had to winterize my unit like you would if it's stored outside. So I just back the popup into the unfinished portion and then daily park a car in front of it on the garage side.

If you plan to own a camper for a while, this is the best way to take care of it. You can manage the other ways you mention but are you sure with the driveway slope you mention that you would be able to get it up and down the driveway in the first place (and not bottom out at the street) to pull it out at the start of a trip and put it away at the end of a trip.

The big thing about a regular popup with canvas bunk ends is never EVER put it away with wet canvas. When I got my unit home and I had left the campground in the rain or with lots of dew, I would pop it up in the driveway to dry out the canvas before closing it up and putting it away. Wet canvas breeds mold which stains the canvas and smells and eats away at the seam thread eve if it is "waterproof". That will lead to leaks eventually. On the rare occasion it was raining when I got home from a trip I rolled it into the driveway then a day or two later when it had stopped I rolled the camper out and popped it up to dry it and put it away.

I also closed it up with a tub of DampRid in it (available at Home Depot or hardware stores ) to collect the moisture that might be inside it. Moisture/mold is your enemy. I also cut up some Irish spring soap bars (DW approves of the smell) to put in a bowl inside while stored to give a pleasant scent so there is no musty smell when you open it up to use it.

Bama Ed

Hmmm, will certainly talk with hubby about the potential for the camper to bottom out. I think your advice about indoor storage is sound. We live in a northern state and see our fair share of snow most years (this year is the exception).

Storing it inside will interfere with the other things we use our garage for and will result in DH needing to park his truck outside. He parks outside most days anyway, except when snow is predicted.

Your thoughts in regard to the need to open it up to allow it to dry are appreciated. We live on a cul de sac, so I think we could get away with parking it in front of the house on the street long enough for it to dry out. Could not leave it there over night.

Have never heard of damp rid. But if we get a pop up, I have much to learn about the care and feeding of the camper.

I appreciate your thoughts.

you mention storing behind the house, the concern there is getting to and from the pad. You would have to tow it thru the yard, which if it has been wet recently would allow the truck to tear up the yard. Just a thought. I know some people are fanatics about their yards.

Both Ed and Chris have very valid points. I, personally, have never owned a pop-up, but growing up, my parents had one. It was parked outside as that was the only option for us at the time. Moreover, we had to go UP the neighbors driveway, and around the back of their lot to get into our lot where the camper was stored. The beauty about Pop-ups though, is that they are not nearly as heavy as other campers, and typically 2 (or 3) people can generally push it into place, even up an incline (obviously other things can factor in though). This makes a difference if the ground might be wet, in that you don't have to add the weight of the truck to dig up the ground.

We went camping every year for about a week in the camper. It had the canvas pull-outs (as well as canvas/plastic walls). Ours what not very fancy in that there was no amenities, other than the beds. The main (center) area was a table that would collapse into a bed. No sink, fridge, electric, toilet, etc... Very primitive. I liked it though.

You should be aware, however, that Canvas may not dry out sufficiently enough in a single day depending on the day and how wet the canvas is or is not. We typically left ours up for at least a full day (and usually 2) without rain, to dry it out. Also we always went camping in the summer. So if you are traveling out of the North to the south, during the Winter/wetter months, keep this in mind. Drying in the north in November isn't going to work to well (usually) outside.

I can tell you also that parking the camper outside will take it's toll on the camper. It will obviously weather harder and quicker. Seals will wear out quicker (From the roof to the body when at rest) metal parts will rust quicker, etc.. So if you CAN store it inside you are better off. It wasn't an option for us growing up. Our current camper isn't an option either, but then it's a 27 foot travel trailer. Hopefully in the next couple of years, I will be able to build a Pole Barn to store it.

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will love your pop-up, particularly if you already like camping. Enjoy and don't forget to show us pictures.

you mention storing behind the house, the concern there is getting to and from the pad. You would have to tow it thru the yard, which if it has been wet recently would allow the truck to tear up the yard. Just a thought. I know some people are fanatics about their yards.

Chris, we live in a HOA subdivision as well and I have seen my neighbors with trailers tackle this problem.

For example, my driveway comes up on the left side of the house and I have to make a 90 degree turn to the right to enter the garage. Also many backyards are fenced in as is mine at the end of the driveway. So people put a gate in the fence at the end of the driveway and just roll the trailer off the driveway, through the fence gate, and into the back yard. A few have poured a concrete pad behind the fence while others installed some paver stones for the tires to rest on.

But it meets the letter of the law for the HOA because it's not in the driveway and it's easy to roll it there.

I will agree with peg's assertion that storing outside will take a toll on a popup. The more you spend on one or the longer you intend to keep it, the more I feel it should be stored indoors if possible. Cars can take being parked outside better.

Bama Ed

Looking at a 2014 forest river 206ltd on Craigslist for $3700. I think (but am no certain) that this is being sold by a company that rents out their pop ups. So this may be a previous rental that they are replacing in their inventory. If I am right, then I believe this has been stored inside when not I use. But also, it may have seen heavy use if it was a rental.

But, does that also mean that all the "kinks" have been worked out?

What are your thoughts on purchasing a unit that had been a rental?

Momz,

My general thoughts on a rental trailer is that while they may have seen heavier use, it also would have been cared for and any needed repairs made to keep it operable. If you've seen the driveable Class C RV's (with the bunk over the driver's cab) that companies like CruiseAmerica rent, they sell their rentals after a while and most people are happy with them for the same reasons (cared for). I wouldn't buy a former rental car because people not just use them alot but abuse them alot. Trailers and RV's are a little harder to abuse.

You would want to inspect it for any signs of water damage (soft wood in the floors or ceiling, stains on the canvas) and have them demonstrate all appliances work properly. I looked up the floor plan and pics on the internet and it shows two bunks one 48x80 and one 60x80 and a dinette 40x74. Putting 2 people in the 48x80 bunk might be tight. Don't assume you can use the dinette for a bed on every trip because there are times when it rains, when it's cold that folks want a place to sit inside (at the dinette).

As you can see popups are storage challenged but I see some nice shelves so our rule was 1 bag per person which goes on the shelf at night and then back on the bunk during the day.

It looks like a nice unit - light, basic. No microwave or potty but it gets you off the ground and into the great outdoors. Does it have a fridge or heater and carryout stove? The model I looked at online had heated mattresses - does the unit you are looking at have those? That's a nice feature. We ended up buying electric blankets to help extend our camping season.

If it's a rental company ask if they have any maintenance records on it. Popups need to have their axles greased every year or two and most have the quick zirk to put a grease gun on them and pump in new grease which pushes out old grease. Or they can be packed by hand. Tires should still be good (they last 4-5 years at most). Ask them to pop it up in front of you as well as close it up in front of you so you can see how it works plus ensure the roof crank mechanism works, etc. Does it have awning and all poles?

Pricing looks good but you can use http://www.nadaguides.com/
to compare (choose the RV option at the top). It should have crank down stabilizers. Should have electric brakes which means you will need a brake controller for the tow vehicle. I use the Tekonsha Prodigy but maybe ask what the rental agency uses.

Don't want to overload you so I will stop now.

Bama Ed

Momz,

My general thoughts on a rental trailer is that while they may have seen heavier use, it also would have been cared for and any needed repairs made to keep it operable. If you've seen the driveable Class C RV's (with the bunk over the driver's cab) that companies like CruiseAmerica rent, they sell their rentals after a while and most people are happy with them for the same reasons (cared for). I wouldn't buy a former rental car because people not just use them alot but abuse them alot. Trailers and RV's are a little harder to abuse.

You would want to inspect it for any signs of water damage (soft wood in the floors or ceiling, stains on the canvas) and have them demonstrate all appliances work properly. I looked up the floor plan and pics on the internet and it shows two bunks one 48x80 and one 60x80 and a dinette 40x74. Putting 2 people in the 48x80 bunk might be tight. Don't assume you can use the dinette for a bed on every trip because there are times when it rains, when it's cold that folks want a place to sit inside (at the dinette).

As you can see popups are storage challenged but I see some nice shelves so our rule was 1 bag per person which goes on the shelf at night and then back on the bunk during the day.

It looks like a nice unit - light, basic. No microwave or potty but it gets you off the ground and into the great outdoors. Does it have a fridge or heater and carryout stove? The model I looked at online had heated mattresses - does the unit you are looking at have those? That's a nice feature. We ended up buying electric blankets to help extend our camping season.

If it's a rental company ask if they have any maintenance records on it. Popups need to have their axles greased every year or two and most have the quick zirk to put a grease gun on them and pump in new grease which pushes out old grease. Or they can be packed by hand. Tires should still be good (they last 4-5 years at most). Ask them to pop it up in front of you as well as close it up in front of you so you can see how it works plus ensure the roof crank mechanism works, etc. Does it have awning and all poles?

Pricing looks good but you can use http://www.nadaguides.com/
to compare (choose the RV option at the top). It should have crank down stabilizers. Should have electric brakes which means you will need a brake controller for the tow vehicle. I use the Tekonsha Prodigy but maybe ask what the rental agency uses.

Don't want to overload you so I will stop now.

Bama Ed

Light is what we need. Tow vehicle is a dodge Dakota quad cab. If I remember correctly, DH said its tow capacity is 5000.

The camper has heated mattresses, roof mounted ac, furnace, Outdoor propane stove and a new awning. There does not appear to be a fridge or microwave.

With 2 kids (a girl and a boy) we were thinking that one would sleep on the bunk and the other on the dinette bed. Alternatively, we could pitch the tent for them if they wanted.

There is a lot to learn before making this purchase. Especially about maintenance and towing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter