Considering Aulani, a few questions.

Paid Aulani in full today!! Now, if the next 8 weeks would just fly by!!
Congratulations! Did you book thru DVC or thru the hotel? If thru the hotel, which site had the best price. Our family needs one more room for 2 nights. Have a great trip! Post pictures if you have time.
Thanks!

HarperAnnesNana said:
Congratulations! Did you book thru DVC or thru the hotel? If thru the hotel, which site had the best price. Our family needs one more room for 2 nights. Have a great trip! Post pictures if you have time.
Thanks!

We aren't DVC (yet)!! We booked directly with Disney by calling Walt Disney Travel Co. in Anaheim. Due to the discount I get from work, I have to book with a representative.

When are you going?

Regarding rental cars we rented from Alamo and the guy at the offsite airport location was upset we wouldn't upgrade anything. His demeanor soured when we wanted to stick with the car we booked.

In addition, a few days into our trip, our rental car wouldn't start and was stranded in the Aulani parking lot. My wife, kids and I were going to accompany my parents to the North Shore (they had a different car) and it was their last day on the island before leaving.

I called Alamo roadside service who told me to talk to the guy at the Alamo desk at Aulani. The guy at the Alamo desk at Aulani gave me what may be one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had. To the point that, regardless of cost, I will always rent from another company from now on. He wanted to charge me to get a replacement vehicle from their lot at Aulani or wait 4 or 5 hours for a replacement from the Airport location. In addition, several times he accused me of leaving the lights on in the vehicle, draining the battery.

I had to call the manager at the Alamo office at the Airport location to get anything done. Needless to say, my advice is to stay away from the Alamo especially the desk they have at Aulani. While my experience may seem isolated, I saw others in line with similar types of issues and the agent had virtually no skills in their ability to handle a challenging customer situation.

ONealFamily said:
Regarding rental cars we rented from Alamo and the guy at the offsite airport location was upset we wouldn't upgrade anything. His demeanor soured when we wanted to stick with the car we booked.

In addition, a few days into our trip, our rental car wouldn't start and was stranded in the Aulani parking lot. My wife, kids and I were going to accompany my parents to the North Shore (they had a different car) and it was their last day on the island before leaving.

I called Alamo roadside service who told me to talk to the guy at the Alamo desk at Aulani. The guy at the Alamo desk at Aulani gave me what may be one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had. To the point that, regardless of cost, I will always rent from another company from now on. He wanted to charge me to get a replacement vehicle from their lot at Aulani or wait 4 or 5 hours for a replacement from the Airport location. In addition, several times he accused me of leaving the lights on in the vehicle, draining the battery.

I had to call the manager at the Alamo office at the Airport location to get anything done. Needless to say, my advice is to stay away from the Alamo especially the desk they have at Aulani. While my experience may seem isolated, I saw others in line with similar types of issues and the agent had virtually no skills in their ability to handle a challenging customer situation.

I've had similar experiences with Hertz, I NEVER book with them.

Are you booking with DVC? Or is Christmas already getting full?
Trying to buy points. Not DVC member. But also looking for best price on hotel. Even Expedia is almost twice what I paid per night for DVC points. Any suggestions? Taking 4 yr old and 19 month old (ages on travel dates) with total 7 family members(including kids). We found Aulani points for 3 nights for 1 studio and 2 nights for another studio. Trying to add nights. Rest of vacation (9 nights) will be booking condo thru vrbo.com next to Aulani.

HarperAnnesNana said:
AAA does offer a significant discount, but no rooms available for Christmas 2013 thru their program. Any other ideas?

I didn't know that!! I'm curious to see what prices AAA offers. So the 2 you were able to book from renting points, is that for 2 different rooms, or back to back for the same room? I have no ideas, sorry, other than waiting to see what may come up through DVC.

It will be wonderful at Christmas!!

I didn't know that!! I'm curious to see what prices AAA offers. So the 2 you were able to book from renting points, is that for 2 different rooms, or back to back for the same room? I have no ideas, sorry, other than waiting to see what may come up through DVC.

We bought enough points for 5 nights total at Aulani studio from an Aulani DVC owner and could book 11 months out (2 weeks ago). Lowest cost available was island view. DVC member who we bought from booked 2 rooms Dec 21 and Dec 22. Then booked another studio for Dec 21, Dec 22 and Dec 23. DVC member has been wonderful. I have gotten copy of email showing our confirmed reservation. I have her email and phone #. She also has sent tons of suggestions and said she would answer any questions I had.

When are you going? I can check AAA for you if you are not a member. Then you can decide if you want to join for $75/yr. With AAA if you rent car from Hertz all AAA members can be drivers at no extra cost and no charge for a car seat. When we went to Waikiki 3 years ago, our son and his wife joined AAA which cost less than adding them as drivers with the minivan for 10 days. And we got the car seat for no extra charge.And the cost was comparable to priceline, etc. Right now Hertz doesn't list any minivans thru AAA for Christmas. I will keep checking.
I have heard different stories, but it looks like you may not have to pay $35/day parking at Aulani if you rent from DVC owner. And you may be able to wash clothes for free with DVC room key if you have studio. Not sure about this.
If you are going 7 months out, you can buy points from any DVC owner. Be sure to ask before you purchase.
Good luck!

I already checked AAA, did not see my dates offered, but I did look at what they had. I'm still indecisive about a rental car, but, I NEVER use Hertz.

I actually am only taking this trip bc I had found a good price on airfare ($323). We were going to take a Disney Cruise later this year, but, I liked the airfare price & the numbers Aulani gave me, and the fact this trip is 6 months before the cruise!! Lol

I already checked AAA, did not see my dates offered, but I did look at what they had. I'm still indecisive about a rental car, but, I NEVER use Hertz.

I actually am only taking this trip bc I had found a good price on airfare ($323). We were going to take a Disney Cruise later this year, but, I liked the airfare price & the numbers Aulani gave me, and the fact this trip is 6 months before the cruise!! Lol
I just check Aulani site again. First 10 times I did not see that when it give you the quote for room price, on the right hand side you can click on alternative DVC room quote which is cheaper than the room rate.
Which airline had the great air fare? From which airport? We may have to fly Southwest Airlines to Phoenix or California, pick up our luggage and check in again with another airline to get a good fare.

HarperAnnesNana said:
I just check Aulani site again. First 10 times I did not see that when it give you the quote for room price, on the right hand side you can click on alternative DVC room quote which is cheaper than the room rate.
Which airline had the great air fare? From which airport? We may have to fly Southwest Airlines to Phoenix or California, pick up our luggage and check in again with another airline to get a good fare.

I'm flying with Hawaiian Airlines out of SFO. The fare was already low, but I also had a coupon for an extra 5% off, which saved me $15 per seat, $45 total. Not much, but better than nothing.

I will look at DVC prices, out of curiosity, this afternoon.

We are here at Aulani now. We were frustrated with the inability to get into any of the restaurants last night after our arrival at the resort. We did order from room service though, and the food was very good. I think the total for the 3 of us was just under $100.

dianeschlicht said:
We are here at Aulani now. We were frustrated with the inability to get into any of the restaurants last night after our arrival at the resort. We did order from room service though, and the food was very good. I think the total for the 3 of us was just under $100.

Why were you not able to get into any restaurants? What time did you arrive?

I'm flying with Hawaiian Airlines out of SFO. The fare was already low, but I also had a coupon for an extra 5% off, which saved me $15 per seat, $45 total. Not much, but better than nothing.

I will look at DVC prices, out of curiosity, this afternoon.
I went to this link
http://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani-...-rooms-suites/ to check Christmas availability. I also called the number listed on this Aulani website. If you book thru Aulani, they will give you 10% off if you have AAA card. They still have Christmas bookings for rooms or DVC studios which are slightly cheaper.

Good luck. Let me know if you find any better deals. Have a great trip.

Why were you not able to get into any restaurants? What time did you arrive?
I thought you could make reservations in advance at the Aulani restaurants if you were staying at Aulani. For restaurant info you might want to check mousesavers.com and also search "Aulani" on this site. I found lots of info and suggestions. I saw several good reviews for a new restaurant across the street from Aulani - Monkeypod. Someone posted Happy Hour 3-5:30 PM daily. Reduced drinks. Most appetizers 1/2 price. Most pizzas $10. The posting said the Monkeypod menu is online.

I thought you could make reservations in advance at the Aulani restaurants if you were staying at Aulani. For restaurant info you might want to check mousesavers.com and also search "Aulani" on this site. I found lots of info and suggestions. I saw several good reviews for a new restaurant across the street from Aulani - Monkeypod. Someone posted Happy Hour 3-5:30 PM daily. Reduced drinks. Most appetizers 1/2 price. Most pizzas $10. The posting said the Monkeypod menu is online.

Yes, you can make dining reservations before arrival if staying at Aulani. :thumbsup2 I didn't do that and we had no problem getting in to the restaurants at times we wanted with the exception of one night. Called that morning for reservations at Ama Ama and the time we wanted wasn't available. So we dined the next night. However, we were a party of six and I was picky about the time due to a diabetic in our group.

We had lunch and dinner at Monkeypod and also ordered carryout one night. It's a good addition to area dining. And yes, the menu is online.

HarperAnnesNana said:

You can. I've already made our character breakfast reservations. Just hope it isn't too early for my kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter