Considering purchasing Riviera direct or a resale somewhere else (BWV most likely) Help!

Thanks for clarifying. We don’t go to DL so I didn’t realize that DVC was different for that.

I do know that QS gets a discount with DVc there and not at WDW…so for that it’s offering better than the Disney Visa.

But for those who go to WDW primarily, the DVC, if one doesn’t have an AP, is better for merchandise purchases.

Thanks for clarifying. We don’t go to DL so I didn’t realize that DVC was different for that.

I do know that QS gets a discount with DVc there and not at WDW…so for that it’s offering better than the Disney Visa.

But for those who go to WDW primarily, the DVC, if one doesn’t have an AP, is better for merchandise purchases.
That is good to know! Thank you.

Nooo :(

Never :-)

Sometimes it just takes the right moment for enough people to get the conversation going.

You can try the OKW $115pp thread too. I haven’t kept up but there’s probably some talk about payments going on.

Eta - reddit is good place to ask as well. But probably more replies here.
Found this thread by searching for a thread exactly about this. Im willing to start it.. but Im wondering if it would be best suited for Budget Board or Purchasing DVC, Im thinking the latter.

Found this thread by searching for a thread exactly about this. Im willing to start it.. but Im wondering if it would be best suited for Budget Board or Purchasing DVC, Im thinking the latter.

Yes it would be a great resource! I’m thinking the latter too, because of specific details where DVC is concerned. The I love Credit Cards is helpful but there’s an extra level in combo with DVC.

Having looked into credit card rewards extensively in prep for my upcoming direct purchase, Chase codes DVC purchases as travel (based on prior reports). The Chase Sapphire Reserve gives you 3x points on travel, which you can then transfer to a multitude of airlines/hotels, or book via the Chase portal for 1.5x (so effectively 4.5x).

AMEX does not code as travel based on recent reports.

Other people look at the Disney credit card because it offers 0% interest for six months, but it only offers 2% cash back. Personally, I'm planning on either of the following for my upcoming direct Riv or Poly purchase:
a) using my Chase Sapphire Reserve for the 3x points (and splitting my payments over three months, so my money can sit in my savings account for a bit longer)
b) opening a couple new credit cards for the sign up bonuses / splitting payments as well

For dues, many people buy discounted Disney gift cards at Target - the REDcard gives 5% off - or if you have a Chase Ink Cash, they give 5x on office supply stores. That's technically a business card, though.

My resale contract escrow payment did not code as travel. The escrow company allowed $7500 to be paid on a cc. Sadly I only received 1.5x there.

If you decide to post a full thread, I'll pull this over there. :-)
Chase Sapphire Reserve is absolutely the way to go - ESPECIALLY if you have a free “My Chase Plan”. It essentially gives you a free 24 month payment plan. The only issue is the free chase plan is only good one time, so if you are breaking your purchase up into multiple contracts, it will only work on one contract.

Either way though, you get your 3 points per dollar. It’s essentially like getting 4% back.

Chase Sapphire Reserve is absolutely the way to go - ESPECIALLY if you have a free “My Chase Plan”. It essentially gives you a free 24 month payment plan. The only issue is the free chase plan is only good one time, so if you are breaking your purchase up into multiple contracts, it will only work on one contract.

Either way though, you get your 3 points per dollar. It’s essentially like getting 4% back.
Where is everyone getting free 'My Chase Plans'? Is there an easy way to find out if I have one online? When I called Chase, the agent acted like she had no idea what I was talking about. Maybe a periodic promotion?

Where is everyone getting free 'My Chase Plans'? Is there an easy way to find out if I have one online? When I called Chase, the agent acted like she had no idea what I was talking about. Maybe a periodic promotion?
Try to set one up with a recent purchase you have - see if it shows “$0 monthly fee”. If it does, you have a freebie.

Ahhh I've never understood airline miles or points 🙈 and have always used cashback cards (or the Disney Visa, but not often).

Try to set one up with a recent purchase you have - see if it shows “$0 monthly fee”. If it does, you have a freebie.
No luck. Bummer…but thank you! I just applied to take advantage of the sign up bonus + pts for direct purchase so I probably haven’t proven myself yet 🤣

Completely agree, CSR all the way. I value Chase points at 2 cents each, since I always redeem them for at least that (e.g., transferring Chase points to Hyatt 1:1 and getting a hotel room worth 2+ cents per point). This means someday when I pull the trigger on a direct DVC purchase, I'm mentally counting it as 6% cheaper than the sticker price :)

My vote for your situation is resale. The question for you is your preference a smaller nicer room or a larger not as nice room.
With a family of 5 - i'd vote for space.

150 Direct Riv is $29,700 with $225/point- $17/point incentive minus $1,500 welcome home. You could do magic beginnings but you could also rent out resale - so i'm going to ignore that here.

Boardwalk is a shorter resort. There is a value difference but you can't divide by year and ignore the time value of money.
To make it comparable, you could set money aside, invest in the in the stock market and buy a new DVC resale contract in 2042.

Let's take $125/point for a longer resort today and inflate that by 3% a year, which would be $213 in 2042 Dollars. Let's say you can invest in the stock market at 10% a year (or avoid DVC financing at 10% a year) - and that $213 in 2042 is only worth $38 today. So take $5,570 aside from your purchase price for the difference in contract length.

That's $24,130 you can use to buy Boardwalk Resale. At $100/point, that's 240 points you can buy. Dues are similar - but 240 points cost more than 150 points. To fund the dues of the extra 90 points - let's say you rent out 45 points per year (you get $18/point for renting and dues are roughly $9/point, rounded up).

So the comparison is for the same price - would you prefer 150 direct RIV points or 195 resale BWV points?

152 RIV points get you a week in Travel Period 3 Studio Preferred View
At the Boardwalk, Travel Period 3 for a week in a Boardwalk Studio is only 114 points.
299 points get you a Boardwalk View 2 Bedroom in Travel Period 3.

At the Boardwalk you can roughly alternate 2 Bedroom 1 year for a week in Travel Period 3 and studio for another year in Travel Period 3 (all preferred view pricing). To the extent you can lock in standard view - your points go further.

My vote for your situation is resale. The question for you is your preference a smaller nicer room or a larger not as nice room.

150 Direct Riv is $29,700 with $225/point- $17/point incentive minus $1,500 welcome home. You could do magic beginnings but you could also rent out resale - so i'm going to ignore that here.

Boardwalk is a shorter resort. There is a value difference but you can't divide by year and ignore the time value of money.
To make it comparable, you could set money aside, invest in the in the stock market and buy a new DVC resale contract in 2042.

Let's take $125/point for a longer resort today and inflate that by 3% a year, which would be $213 in 2042 Dollars. Let's say you can invest in the stock market at 10% a year (or avoid DVC financing at 10% a year) - and that $213 in 2042 is only worth $38 today. So take $5,570 aside from your purchase price for the difference in contract length.

That's $24,130 you can use to buy Boardwalk Resale. At $100/point, that's 240 points you can buy. Dues are similar - but 240 points cost more than 150 points. To fund the dues of the extra 90 points - let's say you rent out 45 points per year (you get $18/point for renting and dues are roughly $9/point, rounded up).

So the comparison is for the same price - would you prefer 150 direct RIV points or 195 resale BWV points?

At the Boardwalk, Travel Period 3 for a week in a Boardwalk Studio is only 114 points.

At the Boardwalk you can roughly alternate 2 Bedroom 1 year for a week in Travel Period 3 and studio for another year in Travel Period 3 (all preferred view pricing). To the extent you can lock in standard view - your points go further.
Love this analysis (as I not so patiently wait for ROFR news for my BWV contract)!

WOW! Very thorough! I don’t have the math skills to do all that thinking, lol so thank you.
Great analysis and makes me want to add more BWV points now.

See the way I look at the direct vs resale issue came down to FOMO and potential to book at future resorts. But then I started thinking. You can always rent your points and then buy points to stay at any future resorts from DVC Rental store. So unless riviera is absolutely the resort you want to call home then I figured that a 50% less price tag on resale was worth the FOMO. You could in theory use your points for a stay and still purchase rental points at a new resort for years before you spend the same amount for direct points.

Just a reminder to consider income tax when taking renting into consideration. Resale will still make more sense financially if that’s your priority, but most of the time I see it being taken into consideration, the income tax is always missing.

I know there are some “gray” areas where you can swap and it’s not clear if you should or shouldn’t pay income tax.

It's awesome you had a blast at Boardwalk! Riviera seems like a great pick for your family. Resale could save you cash, but limits on where you stay might not suit. Buying direct offers more flexibility but can cost more.

DVC is a moving target and one person's experience with resale or direct is not an absolute truth. It's always changing. Sometimes resale is better, sometimes direct is better. But there is one truth that I abide by: don't overextend yourself when buying DVC. If you can afford it, that's great, but if you can't, the interest will eat into all of the savings over rack rates and more.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter