Construction prep at Grand Californian with Pics!

dwelty

"God Bless 'em, let 'em pee"-Roy Disney
Hello everyone,

Just got back from the Grand Californian. They have started preperations for the new DVC addition to the Hotel. They have cleared the Valet lot, and erected a fence to obscure the construction area from guests.

The first 3 images are of the cleared out Valet lot with Porta-potties for the soon to arrive construction crew, Unfortunately trees obstruct a lot of this lot from my vantage point to the west (right side of photo), it is quite a large area. You can click on any photo for a larger image:

the next 3 are of the grassy area that will be part of the new wing (the other part will be in the valet lot). Notice the fence in the lower part of the image. Also notice that the grass is starting to turn brown (Why water what you are tearing out)? Click for larger image:

These show the newly placed construction fence erected between the south wing and the work site click for larger image:

These last 2 show scaffolding attached to the south wing, where the extension will attach. This is the "Overhang" that was mentioned in the permits filed with Anaheim. As soon as permit are issued, this will be removed to make way for the addition. Click for larger image:

These DVC units will be attached to the existing structure, unlike the VWL or BCV DVC add on's of the past.

Enjoy!

What's exciting about the location is that some of these units are poised to have potentially great views of World of Color, the upcoming Paradise bay show.

What's exciting about the location is that some of these units are poised to have potentially great views of World of Color, the upcoming Paradise bay show.

Not only that, but the Electrical Parade as well!

Not to be the wet towel here, but as a local DVC owner this doesn't excite me at all. I didn't buy into the program so I could blow points at an "appendage' to an existing resort that is already feels crammed into the overbuilt, urban area it is in!

DisneylandResort_Quarter.jpg

Not to be the wet towel here, but as a local DVC owner this doesn't excite me at all. I didn't buy into the program so I could blow points at an "appendage' to an existing resort that is already feels crammed into the overbuilt, urban area it is in!

dzn1e.jpg

If I lived 30 minuites from Disneyland like you do I would not use my points there either. However, there are some of us who think the GCH is the best resort company wide (Including the guys on the DIS unplugged PodCast, who made this statement recently on their show) When I am on Disney Property, the city around me is not even on my mind.

dzn1e.jpg

Simple solution..........don't use your points to stay there.

Thanks to the OP for posting the pics. I will be there in November, so will have to check out the progress.

If I lived 30 minuites from Disneyland like you do I would not use my points there either. However, there are some of us who think the GCH is the best resort company wide (Including the guys on the DIS unplugged PodCast, who made this statement recently on their show) When I am on Disney Property, the city around me is not even on my mind.

I live 30 minutes away and not only do I plan to use points there, I plan to buy points there. I love the GCH hotel and with all the proposed changes to DCA I think it will become even more popular..

I live 30 minutes away and not only do I plan to use points there, I plan to buy points there. I love the GCH hotel and with all the proposed changes to DCA I think it will become even more popular..

I do also. When I told the previous poster not to use points there, I did it because that poster was so persnickety about not wasting points at GC. I am totally excited about the prospect of DVC coming to DL. :woohoo:

I do also. When I told the previous poster not to use points there, I did it because that poster was so persnickety about not wasting points at GC. I am totally excited about the prospect of DVC coming to DL. :woohoo:

LOL that was my first thought, too. Just don't stay there. :confused3

I can't wait and am already planning on staying there the day it opens. :woohoo:

I would use my points there. I already have at the hotels, as I am an hour away from the parks, depending on traffic. It just makes sense to stay overnight to avoid having to drive home, or to get an early start in the parks.
Can you imagine the crush for reservations during the holidays for DVC units?

DisneylandResort_Quarter.jpg

I will give you this: That is a cool Image of the Disneyland Resort. It shows how much there is to see and do within walking distance of the new DVC property!

I will give you this: That is a cool Image of the Disneyland Resort. It shows how much there is to see and do within walking distance of the new DVC property!

Yes, there's plenty, and it's fun (for a couple of days). Then again, if you all stay west to enjoy your "backyard" it leaves the "real" world below (which takes a week to just taste) less crowded!!!:woohoo:

WDW_FL.jpg

Whatever. Perhaps DVC will wake up at some point, realize there's more to the west coast market opportunity than a tiny, already overbuilt piece of real estate and think "Hawaii.":cloud9:

Yes, there's plenty, and it's fun (for a couple of days). Then again, if you all stay west to enjoy your "backyard" it leaves the "real" world below (which takes a week to just taste) less crowded!!!:woohoo:

Whatever. Perhaps DVC will wake up at some point, realize there's more to the west coast market opportunity than a tiny, already overbuilt piece of real estate and think "Hawaii.":cloud9:

Beachblanket, no need to make the case for WDW, we all own there. However, Considering that Southern California is a top tourist destination in the US, I think you would be hard pressed to say that people cannot spend a week here and find nothing to do.

As to your Hawaii point, I agree with you, Hawaii would be a great location for a DVC. Don't you think that the sucess of a Disneyland DVC will only hasten something being built in Hawaii? A DVC on the West Coast means more West Coast DVC members. These members will increase demand for Hawaii! Seems pretty simple to me.

Considering what DVC is, is it really suprising that they are building on Disney property? If you wanted Hawaii, you should have bought Marriott.

Thanks for the pics! I was there on Saturday but didn't have a chance to make it to the GC. I'll be there again in Sept (after the Halloween decorations are up) and will be checking up on any progress.

We live in SanDiego and go to DL all the time and use our pts there. We have 400 pts. We go anywhere from 3 to 5 days at a time using our pts and stay only at the GC.

Went with my girlfriends for 3 days DTD view, did not do the parks just DTD and pool and had a great time and alot of wine :rolleyes1 ..no DH's or kids....going again for 5 days New Years with Park view, than again for 7 days park view concierge in July doing, universal, Waterpark ,Knottsberry and DL before our cruise....so yes I will buy DVC for GC .

Bring it on :thumbsup2

I do agree with the op that there can be to much DL....but if get the pts there the pt value will be better than it is know and leave us more pts to use elsewhere. So we can have our cake and eat it too.

If the price is right will buy another 150 pts. That will give us a total of 550 pts and that will do us very well.

Wonder what the price will be????

Beachblanket, no need to make the case for WDW, we all own there. However, Considering that Southern California is a top tourist destination in the US, I think you would be hard pressed to say that people cannot spend a week here and find nothing to do.

As to your Hawaii point, I agree with you, Hawaii would be a great location for a DVC. Don't you think that the sucess of a Disneyland DVC will only hasten something being built in Hawaii? A DVC on the West Coast means more West Coast DVC members. These members will increase demand for Hawaii! Seems pretty simple to me.

Considering what DVC is, is it really suprising that they are building on Disney property? If you wanted Hawaii, you should have bought Marriott.
Well said, and who doesn't think that DLR, with a DVC location, isn't a jumping off point for regular DCL cruises to Hawaii,Alaska, and Mexico?

All of our personal CA, DVC member friends can't wait to buy points at DLR. We were just recently discussing accomodations for the upcoming Gay Days at DLR in Oct., and that most all the Disney, and outside of Disney hotels are all already totally booked solid during the weekend event. As this is an annual event, it would be so much more simple to reserve a Grand Villa for 6 couples for the weekend at 11 months out, and to arrange a Grand Gatherings type of trip.
The CandleLight Procession weekend is another example of a huge group of us wanting to book DVC accomodations. Having non DVC, Disney fan friends, or family stay overnight, as guests in a 2-3 bedroom, for Christmas shopping weekends etc. is another reason for needing a CA DVC. Being within driving distance of a DVC location would give us the option to have family Thanksgiving dinner "at home" at the resort if we wanted to. Pre order from the local supermarket a complete dinner to reheat, or make from scratch in your DVC kitchen.
During the summer months, all of us online, California website, Disney buddies, geeks, and pals get together at HoJo's all the time for spaghetti
dinners, and would benefit from having a DVC kitchen, instead of wasting DVC points on Disney hotel rooms , that don't fit , or cater to, our weekend getaway style.
Simply stated, DVC members that are within driving distance to WDW, Hilton Head, or Vero Beach, have a huge advantage for maximizing their membership, if they care to do so. As a CA resident within driving distance to DLR, I want the same opportunity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter