Convenient Laundry Detergent

gppnj

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
A while ago, there was a thread discussing what kinds of laundry detergent are convenient to take on vacation. I can't find that thread, but I remember that the gist of it was that several people recommended the Oxy Ball.

Although the Oxy Ball is convenient, apparently it didn't work very well, and I'm not sure they even still sell it anymore. Therefore, I'm back to square one.

Can anyone point me to some kind of self-contained powdered laundry detergent? I want something where if I want to do three loads, I can bring with me just three packets, tablets, or whatever, and I don't have to carry anything back home.

Thank you for any help anyone can provide.

I saw small bottles of Tide(4 use) for a $1 at our local Target when I was looking for travel stuff. Mousekeeping at VWL brought 3 boxes of Tide when I called and asked for an extra one, so I brought the extra 2 home to take on the next trip.

Rite Aid drug store had little packs of Tide, but they were just enough for hand washing(I think 3 small envelopes per pack).

Buy powder detergent. Pour one scoop in a ziploc sandwich bag, and then put all of the sandwich bag in a larger storage bag (so it's effectively double-bagged) along with some dryer sheets.

I use the liquid Tide, or powder in a baggie if I can't get to a Target.

I also like the Persil laundry tabs but stock up on those while in Germany - my local German wholesaler charges about twice as much as in Germany.

We do the what tjkraz mentioned - scoop of powder soap in smaller baggie, all the smaller baggies in a larger baggie with dryer sheets. (that sounds like a lot of baggies).

I've only been able to find the small Tide containers once at my local Target. Don't know if I just miss it or if it's not something they carry all the time.

I buy a dollar store box of detergent - it ain't the best, but it will do (if anyone in your family has really sensitive skin, you might want to try it at home). One box gets me through a trip. I eyeball my detergent at home, so doing it at Disney isn't a big deal. I do double ziploc it. And we don't take leftovers home.

For our May trip, I bought a box of powdered laundry detergent and did the baggy thing using the cheapest store brand storage bags I could find. It worked out great. I still had 2 baggies left on the last day so I did two loads the last night :laundy: and we came home with clean clothes. :banana:

or just store a larger size bottle in your Owner's Locker - All and a few other brands make a concentrated liquid and therefore use a smaller bottle.

I won't skimp on vacation and use 'cheapest' or dollar store brand.

I've bought some CVS store brand individually wrapped sensitive liquid laundry detergent. It's usually 3 for 99 cents. It's located with the travel stuff. It seems to be the same as All Free Clear (which is what we use at home). I do have to say that you really need a pair of scissors to open it up, though, since it's sealed really tight.

I've also seen a tiny bottle of double use All Free Clear in the WalMart travel section in the shampoo/soap section. I'm not sure how you'd measure it out but it IS tiny.

We do a load of laundry every night when we get back to our room (1 or 2 bedroom) and put them in the dryer before bed so that they're clean when we wake up. Doing laundry like this on vacation is so great and it greatly reduces the amount of luggage that we have to take.

So, if you see me on my next trip and notice that I've worn the same shirt 4 times, don't worry...it's clean.:rotfl:

we've done the ziploc baggies also...I'm always sure to put them in an outer zipper pocket because TSA always opens the pocket to check what is in the baggies...guess it does look a little suspicious

I always sign up for free samples of laundry products whenever they are available and immediately put them in the official "WDW drawer" in the spare bedroom. They are just the right size for a small load of laundry.

I purchased 2 boxes of Tide Tablets at Big Lots a few years back, and I only use them for vacations. Now I keep them in my Owners Locker.

Quixtar (AMWAY) still sells tabs, albeit they are a little more. I plan on trying them once Tide starts to dwindle. http://www.quixtar.com/products/product.aspx?itemno=100297&ctg=944&pid=731

I also think those small bottles of concentrated all are handy. 1 bottle is 32 loads. It is quite small and compact and Sams Club has a 3 pack for $7.

we've done the ziploc baggies also...I'm always sure to put them in an outer zipper pocket because TSA always opens the pocket to check what is in the baggies...guess it does look a little suspicious

I was considering bagging coffee and thought that the coffee might seem suspicious in the luggage. Has anyone brought their own coffee with them?

I bring coffee in my suitcase every trip and I fly almost weekly. TSA checks my bags maybe one in ten flights, if even that much.

We brought our own coffee on our last two trips. DH packed it in his bag and I don't think anyone inspected his bag.

We've traveled with things like flour and sugar in ziploc bags (like to make cookies at our hotel) and have never been questioned by TSA. I suspect that if they couldn't tell the difference between illegal drugs and any other powdery substance, they would be be stopping every-other-person going thru security.

We bring our own coffee with us also - again no problems having it just in the baggies.

We do the powder ziploc thing. I do include a piece of the label in the baggie just in case the white powder looks odd. I also do it with meds..keep labels handy.
We do a load of laundry every night, so bring enough powder for that.

I purchased 2 boxes of Tide Tablets at Big Lots a few years back, and I only use them for vacations. Now I keep them in my Owners Locker.

Quixtar (AMWAY) still sells tabs, albeit they are a little more. I plan on trying them once Tide starts to dwindle. http://www.quixtar.com/products/product.aspx?itemno=100297&ctg=944&pid=731

I also think those small bottles of concentrated all are handy. 1 bottle is 32 loads. It is quite small and compact and Sams Club has a 3 pack for $7.

We use Tide at home and we also used to have the Tide tablets . We now do use the tablets from the link you have and they work just fine. I've left half of them in our owners locker with a box of dryer sheets.

I get my small sizes of detergent and softner at the local laundry mat and just throw them in the suitcase.

As far as coffee, I just buy a pound of Dunkin Donuts. The bag is resealable so what's left I just bring home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter