cooking at DVC

searlproudbottom said:
Just wondering how many of you all actually cook meals during your stay.
and what do you cook?
Thanks
Searl

Hi,

We do cook breakfast mostly, and a spaghetti sauce. But have once done baked chicken & rice. Easier things.

Good luck!

I wouldn't dream of cooking on holiday. The most we do is make some coffee!

We have coffee and cold breakfasts in the villa, and fix snacks at other times (Big Mac, pizza, popcorn, etc). The kitchens are great for this.

No big meals are going to get cooked - I'm on vacation, too! And I expect room service at least ONCE on a trip.

DisFlan

I cook all the time. We enjoy coming back to relax and enjoy our villa.

I usually make a full breakfast, eggs, bacon, toast, juice, cereal, coffee, tea etc.

Then we'll eat our main meal out. Usually a late lunch,

Evenings a sandwich in the room.

If we do not eat lunch out, we'll come back to the room late afternoon and I'll make quick homemade type fast foods.

Our DVC fridge is always stocked like we are "at home"

DH and I usually do breakfast in the morning (bagles/cereal) and then late night snacking (after a night at PI) like frozen pizza's. We really enjoy eating out....so we don't do much cooking. It is nice to have the kitchen....although we really get good use out of the washer/dryer. That is our favorite part of staying in a 1/2 bedroom!!! :cheer2:

We have all of our breakfasts in the room, although few would actually qualify as "cooking" since we're talking about mostly cereal or waffles--occasionally eggs if we have another reason to buy a dozen. We also have just about every lunch in our room. Kids are young, so we're back in the room at that time for naps anyway. We'll do things like coldcuts, macaroni and cheese or hot dogs.

At most, we might do one dinner in the room per trip. If we do this, it's usually on our arrival day and we'll get something easy to fix at the store. Publix sells those ready-to-eat whole chickens for $5-6, which makes a very easy meal for the whole family with the addition of a couple of side dishes. Usually some leftovers, too. :)

98% of all breakfasts we have in our villa - anything from ceral to crepes.

Lunch (if eaten at all) in the parks, and proably about 70% of all dinners in parks or resorts. The other 30% of dinners we'll cook (we enjoy cooking so it's no problem for us).

No matter what time of the year, I always cut up fruit and we have fruit salad in the frig. We almost always have breakfast in the room. Tonga toast is a must once a year, and we like to have it in December because the pointsettias placed around the waterfalls just makes the Poly even more beautiful!

Bobbi :flower:

We've only stayed DVC once, but we didn't cook much (to my surprise and liking!). We had most breakfasts in the room, but that was doughnuts or poptarts, or the occasional English muffin. Obviously coffee was made every morning too. I think we had one lunch in the room (sandwiches and/or hotdogs) the rest were eaten in the parks, DTD, etc. We had one or two dinners in the room. That was hot dogs. Other than that the most we did was slice cheese for cheese and crackers. Even on nights that we were at the WL at dinner time, we'd go down to Roaring Fork. Why work on vacation?

I made Christmas dinner one time, complete with turkey, dressing, potatoes, etc. And we did a spaghetti dinner last Jan to carbo load a few days before the marathon.

Other than that, orange juice, sausage biscuits, cereal, popcorn, sandwiches.

We stock ice cream, soda, OJ, milk, Propel, Powerade, water.

We never cook in WDW. There are so many great resturaunt options. Even for breakfast, we always pick up pastry at Boardwalk Bakery, the French Bakery, Main Street Bakery, left over dessert, etc. Eating that type of breakfast is part of what we look forward to at WDW. However, we do eat alot of meals in our villa at HHI. It's a more laid-back, read a book, sit outside resort. Our meals there consist of either soup with French bread, frozen pizza, spaghetti and jarred sauce. gourmet stuff like that! We usually go out for our big meal during the day at lunch.

Cooked full Xmas dinner last year complete with pies, turkey and stuffing, mac and cheese and Honey Baked Ham.

Plan on doing Xmas dinner this year too.

We also cook fast things like Manwich sandwich. However, we do like to indulge in restaurants like Artist Point and Citricos (GF).

Depends on if we are driving or flying. When we drive, I've usually pre-cooked some homemade stuff that freezes well, so we only have to heat it up once at Disney. Flying we eat out more. As others, breakfast is in room almost always. Days activities determines the rest of the meal pattern.

I've only stayed in a 1 bedroom once and as I recall, we were so busy we didn't have time to buy food to cook! Maybe popcorn and breakfast.

Now I stay in the studios but find it easy to cook a breakfast in the microwave.I don't like to waste too much time eating when there is so much to do....one sit down meal a day is plenty for me. And breakfast with some Starbucks coffee freshly brewed while sitting on the balcony is just HEAVEN.

Last time we had breakfast in the villa every morning - tea/coffee, toast, cereal. Also bought pasta and a few different sauces, as well as a couple of tins of soup. Oh, and all the necessary ingredients for chicken wraps, very handy when we just wanted something snacky.

The rest of the fridge was pretty much full of beer... :rotfl2:

Charlotte

We cook a few meals every trip. It makes DVC feel more like home to us. Nothing fancy, just hot (my kids prefer hot food, even for lunch). We usually pick up a Stouffers Lasagne and then get a loaf of bread from BW bakery to go with it. I get some soup to go with sandwiches on those (inevitable) rainy afternoons that give you a chill when you hit the airconditioning. We do hamburger helper once because my kids love it and it's a vacation tradition, and some blt's and bacon cheeseburgers. We always get lots of fruit on the grocery stop (a MUST to keep all of those rich restaurant meals moving along . . .) and cheese, crackers, and chips for happy hour while we dress to go out for the night. We always eat breakfast in the room but it's nothing fancy--instant oatmeal, pancakes, sausage.

I've been known to bring a crock pot, and some frozen, vacuum sealed dinners in a cooler, but that was back when we used to drive to florida. Now that we fly my hubby limits me to one suitcase full of food.

I don't mind cooking. And sometimes my kids just need familiar food in a quiet setting.

Jenny

We hit Publix when we first arrive and stock the fridge for the entire stay. We buy lots of things including bottled water, soda, beer, food, and wine.

Breakfast - Always in Villa except for the one breakfast with Pooh and Friends at the Crystal Palace. We usually make pancakes, eggs, or other easy items.

Lunch - Always in the park and on the go. We will eat lunch in the Villa on the day we just lounge around the pool.

Dinner - Since we have three boys under the age of 3, we usually have dinner back a the room. If the kids take a nap in the stroller, we are able to stay out later which means we will eat in the parks. If we eat in the rooms, it's usually easy items like spaghetti, or Stouffers family dinners. Stouffers has some great family meals that are frozen and can be cooked in 30 minutes. It's very easy, just open the oven and insert. They have a great lasagne that is huge and can be eaten as leftovers for ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter