cooking at DVC

Last April we were a group of seven - four adults & three children. We knew ahead of time that the family with us couldnot afford to eat out all week. The first day I took the children to the pool while the other three adults went to the grocery store. They bought lots of breakfast foods - eggs, cereal, salami (we love friend salami), juices, milk, peanut butter, etc. For lunches &/or dinners we had salads, pizzas, sandwiches, etc. It worked really well for all of us & saved us money, too! We did eat out a few times that week, too.

We mostly eat out, however, BF is in the Villa, and we buy lunch meat, bread, snacks, and some Stouffer Lasagna. We have kids 12, 16, so we buy a lot of snacks and some cooking, but not a ton of it. After all, we ARE on vacation, but save money for BF and Lunch.

DeerH

I eat at lot in the villa.

Breakfast definitely (although one breakfast out is normal), lunch definitely - I have sun problems - fair skin and I am allergic to the sun. So I can't be out in the Fl sun from 10:30am to at least 4pm - in the summer this is 5pm. So since we have to be in our rooms anyway - we eat lunch then.

for dinner - sometimes we eat out but mostly in.

I cook. Turkey, so nice to cook without kittens telling me constantly it is done.... Cookies, (had to ask for a cookie sheet) brownies, roast, steak, hamburgers. I get lots of fruits apples, grapes, bananas, strawberries and of course my favorite - oranges. Nothing taste like a real Florida orange - they are benefit the best!!!!

luncheon meats, breads and whatever spreads whoever I am with wants.

We like character/resort breakfasts. We like counter service lunch and a sit down dinner. We like the large fridge for beer, wine, soda, water and milk for the kids. Even when our youngest was under 2 and napping in the afternoon, we always grabbed lunch in the park and then came back to the resort. If it was just DH and I, we'd order room service for breakfast sometimes. With the kids this isn't very relaxing, so we always go out. :)

Wow, Spiceycat, you DO like to cook on vacation! Can I come over to your villa? :sunny:

DisFlan

We cook breakfast and typically eat either lunch or dinner in our room (usually lunch - we have only stayed in a studio so far - doomed by staying in a 1 bedroom at Christmas time this year lol). I can't wait to be able to cook. Even though my kids like hamburgers and chicken nuggets, etc after a couple of days, they balk at the thought of more. We head back to the parks for an afternoon nap, so depending on what time it is, we either eat lunch at the park and dinner inthe room or vice versa. Its always fun to go out some, but with small children, it is a strain on us a lot of the time as well because we are tired too. So, its a good compromise.

Besides, my kids LOVE lasagna and chicken casseroles, etc - all those easy to prep (or premade Stoffuers) meals, so they get some easy food, I don't have to spend hours cooking or cleaning up afterwards and its much easier to toss in some veggies than while eating at WDW.

I love to eat out when on vacation, but it is also nice to have

Quick & Easy breakfasts (toast, eggs, fruit)

Maybe a few lunches & dinners, the easy stuff-frozen pizza, hotdogs, sandwiches etc. (somedays when you get back to the room you just dont feel like heading out again.)

The refrigerator is usually full with beverages, bottles water, soda, juice etc and fruit.

Cant forget the snacks ..nachos...popcorn :)

searlproudbottom said:
Just wondering how many of you all actually cook meals during your stay.
and what do you cook?
Thanks
Searl

Sometimes we'll have sandwiches for lunch but I don't think that counts as "cooking?" Or does it?? ;) :rotfl:

For the past few years I will make some kind of pasta meal for dinner the night before the marathon. It's just a hastle to go out and eat so early plus we make a family thing our of it now -- watch movies, open presents (we very belatedly celebrate Christmas with my family in January at WDW), etc.

Other than that, it's just coffee/tea & maybe a bagel. I'm not against cooking it's just that there are soooo many places we like to eat when we are there!

Kristen

We ususally drive so i bring the crock pot. We have breakfast in the villa. We have snacks and freeze our water to take with us. I make a turkey breast early in the trip, ususally the first full day, and then we have that for a nice dinner dinner with salad and fruit plus sandwiches during the week. I also do a roast beef in the crock pot and use that the same way.

I usually make pigs feet at least once during the trip.

They are absolutely delicious and something I usually don't have time to make at home.

I thought it was called the liquor room! :rotfl: We had beer, wine, vodka, Bailey's, Mike's, oh, and water. Other than that, we buy from Publix and throw it out at the end of the week...didn't know there was anything else to do with all that stuff. :rolleyes:

Wow, I can't believe so many people cook. I can see doing maybe breakfast when the kids are older, but not lunch or dinner. But then DH and I are picky, I guess. We don't like frozen food, jarred sauces, or anything you can cook in a crock pot or any type of casserole. I think that would limit me to really cooking from scratch, which I'd hate do, not being in my own kitchen. I wouldn't have any of my stuff! :)

Plus, we really like to eat out. It's a very large part of our vacation. :sunny:

LoveMyDVC said:
I usually make pigs feet at least once during the trip.

They are absolutely delicious and something I usually don't have time to make at home.

Good one, LoveMyDVC - he'd be proud... ;)

I make full breakfasts -- eggs, waffles, bacon, etc -- because that's a vacation from the usual grab & go breakfast. We also bake cookies and other finger food for snacks. No lunches or dinners unless it's doggy bag leftover from a restaurant meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter