cooking on the Coleman Camping Stove

mtnminnie

Mouseketeer
I'm really not happy with our cooking pots and I am considering switching to cast iron.

What are you using that you love?

LOVE LOVE LOVE Cast Iron. The problem, however, is that Cast Iron is heavy. So when loading vehicle/trailers, and every pound counts, it can be an issue.

That being said, don't buy CHEAP cookware either. When we first got our TT, I bought a set of pots/pans from the Dollar General (or one of those stores). First time I tried to cook with them on the gas stove in the TT, they just warped, the Non-stick peeled off, it was literally a complete waste of money. Only the "Pot" was some what usable if I only boiled water in it.

From then, up until now, we were transferring our pots/pans from the house when we'd take the TT out. This included my cast iron fry pans. We have since (a month or so ago) gotten a good set of calphalon cookware that is also Induction capable. It was about $200 from Bed Bath and Beyond, but we always have dozens of their 20% off coupons in reserve. (so many that even if we buy a pack of gum, we use a 20% off coupon).

You don't need HIGH end, pots/pans, but you do want good pots and pans. I now steer away from the Teflon and non-stick in general. If you are at all experienced in cooking, you can handle most situations of "Sticky" stuff pretty easily. Much like you would with Cast iron.

As an FYI, I have a HUGE cast iron pot (almost a cauldron) that I use at home when making my chili. It can make about 10 Quarts of Chili (which I also can in the jars). Love cooking with it, using it, but not carrying it. (It's HEAVY).

have not tried using cast iron on the coleman, would like to, but don't have any cast iron pots.

However, I would caution against using anything with a non-stick coating. Our Coleman is quite a bit hotter, even on the lowest setting, than cooking on the range at home. We have had non-stick surfaces peel off of the pot when using it on the coleman. So, we just use our regular pots and pans from the house but keep a close eye on the cooking process, again because the coleman is so hot.

If you try the cast iron, let us know how it works for you.

we just got back from camping and I took my two cast iron frying pans...one large, one small.

worked out nicely.

I used my "junky do not like pots" for water boiling and noodle making though.
we cooked bacon, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, hot dogs on the cast iron and no one complained.

We survived for years in our pop-up using an attached outside grill and a coleman stove. Occasionally we would boil some water inside on the stove if the wind was too much outside. We finally left the coleman stove at home in the garage and switched to an electric griddle. No more problems with the wind. It was great for cooking breakfast (eggs, pancakes, hash browns) and other meals. We liked it so much we bought a second one to take with for bigger meals. I also bought and electric hotplate to use for frying pan meals, but haven't tried it yet.

We survived for years in our pop-up using an attached outside grill and a coleman stove. Occasionally we would boil some water inside on the stove if the wind was too much outside. We finally left the coleman stove at home in the garage and switched to an electric griddle. No more problems with the wind. It was great for cooking breakfast (eggs, pancakes, hash browns) and other meals. We liked it so much we bought a second one to take with for bigger meals. I also bought and electric hotplate to use for frying pan meals, but haven't tried it yet.
We bring a griddle too. I'd much rather cook bacon, eggs, pancakes, french toast, etc... on the griddle then in a fry pan, however, the Coleman will allow you to cook without electricity too. If you always have the electricity though, I guess it's not that much of an issue.

We have a "hot plate" as well, but ours is an "Induction" burner. I love it although I really don't use it that much (at least not yet). Up until recently, I didn't have much cook ware that could be used on it. With our recent purchase of our new TT, we also decided to buy pots/pans for the TT (Exclusively) So when shopping (since I do all the cooking) I found a set that is Induction capable. Just haven't used it yet (on the induction anyway).

We have a Coleman camping stove and use our regular T-Fall saucepan on it. No need for extra gear here! Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter