Copyright issues with artwork

Bama_C

Artful DISer
Does anyone have an idea where to go to find out if it is legal to draw and sell Disney buildings or places without Disney's permission (I am fairly certain it isn't legal to draw characters for sale, but what about buildings?) I am doing a series of EPCOT vignettes that I would like to make available for purchase. If you're curious, you can view the first one here EPCOT Canada. Any help would be most appreciated.

pixiedust:

Thank you so much. I love Disney World, especially EPCOT, so these are a lot of fun for me to do. I have looked everywhere I can think of on the web, and I haven't found anything that says I can't sell them. My husband even called Disney, but after being transferred a few times didn't get anywhere (they sent him to The Art of Disney at DTD :rotfl2: ... of course, the people working there had no clue.) But I would really like to find out for sure.

Thanks again! :goodvibes

Try calling investor relations. They will be able to at least direct you to the LEGAL department to find out about copyright infringement issues.

But I also had to add they are beautiful!

Try calling investor relations. They will be able to at least direct you to the LEGAL department to find out about copyright infringement issues.

But I also had to add they are beautiful!

Thank you, Java, for your advice and kind comments. :goodvibes I will try that route, and see if I get anywhere. Have a great day! :thumbsup2

I still have no answers, as I never could actually get a PERSON on the phone, but I haven't given up trying. I may have to just resort to writing a letter of inquiry. The second one is now finished...

EPCOT-UKsm1.jpg

How beautiful your prints are! I hope you hear soon.

Thanks so much for your kind words. When I finally got through to the legal dept. there was a recording giving all sorts of information and asking to submit in writing any questions about copyrights. Talk about complicated! In my affection for all things Disney, sometimes I forget they're a multi-gazillion dollar company... red tape and all. ;) Oh well, I can't help drawing the thing I love... :love:

pixiedust:

I don't know anything about the copywrite issues either - just posting to say WOW as well!

BEAUTIFUL artwork! :worship:

TravelinGal and TeresaNJ... I really appreciate your sweet comments! pixiedust: Thanks so much!!

New one... Norway. Don't know if I will actually do any more until I hear back from Disney...

epcot-norwaysm.jpg

I too wanted to just post to say WOW, wonderful pictures! Are you drawing these from photos you took on your trip, or from memory? I'm also enjoying reliving our last trip through your drawings...you have a very special talent!

:thumbsup2

I too wanted to just post to say WOW, wonderful pictures! Are you drawing these from photos you took on your trip, or from memory? I'm also enjoying reliving our last trip through your drawings...you have a very special talent!

:thumbsup2

Thanks so much. I am drawing them from photos I have taken, as well as from some others I have found on the web. I appreciate your kind comments! pixiedust:

These are absolutely beautiful. You are very talented! Hoping you are moving to Magic Kingdom next ;)

I've bookmarked your website.

Do you have an attorney of your own you could ask? I would think the same laws would apply whether you are sketching a building at Disney, the Empire State Building, or any other building.

Wow... thanks so much. What a great idea to ask our attorney; I will do that. We just recently got one to do wills for us, so maybe he is familiar with copyright laws, too.

I imagine that I will end up doing things around the whole of WDW before it's overwith. I just love it so much I can't help it... and can't wait to be back there in Sept. I am planning to try to get some more good photos to draw from.:woohoo:

Your sweetie pea princess: in the photo in your sig. eating the Mickey Ear ice cream is a doll!!

Thanks for posting! pixiedust:

Your sweetie pea princess: in the photo in your sig. eating the Mickey Ear ice cream is a doll!!

Thanks so much. That was her first mickey bar on her first trip. I am training her to have her mother's disney addiction :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter