Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Well the WBPC is long enough for a quarantine :cool1: . Being on the Wonder for the next two weeks is probably safer than being on land. You'll get to see how this all plays out from a semi-safe distance.

Keep in mind that if the ship gets quarantined, you will probably have to stay in your room, like on the Dream Princess. Although I also doubt they will do the same, as many mistakes were made with how the virus could spread across the ship.
My guess is, that if it happens on the WBPC, they return to a US Port asap and assess the situation from there.

The flu mutates just like the Coronavirus. They make the vaccine early on hoping it is for the right strain, but as time goes on it does mutate. I never get the flu shot early ( usually around end of Oct) so I have it at full strength going in to peak flu season.
On my 4th round of flu now 🤢

What do people think will happen when there starts being more community spread in the US? Will certain regions of the US be denied boarding like Italy, etc?
That I’m wondering, also. Our flight has a connection in Seattle, which is close by the first U.S. death.

I think on DCL you are good as long as the situation in the US doesn't change. The other ships that got turned away in the Caribbean were Italian ships with many Italian crew members, I believe?

Only the officers on MSC are a higher probability of being Italian and I think thats probably true on most lines. Most of the crew, including the one sick memeber that caused the kerfuffle, were from the typical service industry countries.

Monkeydawn, that is a fascinating article! Where did you find it?

Id guess I initially found it through The Guardian COV timeline blog. But I follow a few sources and usually follow any links posted on here and CC.

All of theses things have been happening to keep it from spreading. If they realize it has already spread, I think they will focus on treating patients like what we do with the flu.

I agree 100%. In addition, what I can see happening should this move to a more "treat it like the flu" scenario, is that ports of call in countries without community spread of the virus may simply close their ports to cruise ships.

I need to keep reminding myself to take a deep breath- this is 100% out of my control. My cruise is in 5-weeks, and the landscape will likely look completely different (possibly better, possibly worse) by then.

I agree 100%. In addition, what I can see happening should this move to a more "treat it like the flu" scenario, is that ports of call in countries without community spread of the virus may simply close their ports to cruise ships.

I need to keep reminding myself to take a deep breath- this is 100% out of my control. My cruise is in 5-weeks, and the landscape will likely look completely different (possibly better, possibly worse) by then.

The not knowing is the worst. And dealing with the disappointment. I truly feel your pain.

Just got off the phone with my parents.. At this point we are going to primarily rely on DCL, with the notion that if this becomes a significant risk, they will be cancelling cruises to cover their own butts/liability.

If for some reason, this thing goes full blown Coronapocalypse in the US, but Disney is not cancelling cruises, we'd probably cancel last minute, as we are already past our refund window, and would likely need to use the "cancel for any reason, lose 25%" insurance policy, so no reason to do it now- wait and see.

If however the outbreak is well managed, and cruises are still sailing, we'll likely go.

It would be a heartbreaker not to go, as this would be our second cancelled Disney cruise in a row, but it is not worth putting my dad in danger, should things not be looking so hot.

For The Magic, the biggest decision will be how the Eastbound Transatlantic and the Mediterranean cruises are affected.

The logical business owner side of my brain says that for Disney to not even bring The Magic to Europe would be catastrophic in financial terms. Depending on how the situation develops can definitely see them changing ports , especially in Italy.

As of 1 March 1 the only country in Europe which has a travel advisory is the north of Italy Lombardy region. There is no travel advisory for the South of Italy / Rome region.

For The Magic, the biggest decision will be how the Eastbound Transatlantic and the Mediterranean cruises are affected.

The logical business owner side of my brain says that for Disney to not even bring The Magic to Europe would be catastrophic in financial terms. Depending on how the situation develops can definitely see them changing ports , especially in Italy.

As of 1 March 1 the only country in Europe which has a travel advisory is the north of Italy Lombardy region. There is no travel advisory for the South of Italy / Rome region.

Thinking the same. Concerned as we are set to sail on the transatlantic. I believe it would be a huge mess for DCL to cancel the Med (and would cost them big $$$) so I don't believe they'll do that unless they have zero other options.

Thinking the same. Concerned as we are set to sail on the transatlantic. I believe it would be a huge mess for DCL to cancel the Med (and would cost them big $$$) so I don't believe they'll do that unless they have zero other options.

Its not just the Mediterranean itineraries that they would have to cancel, The Magic re-positions to Northern Europe until September, then there is a dry dock planned at the end of September and the West Bound Transatlantic is on 2 October. So 6 months of European cruises which would financially be catastrophic.

You will sail transatlantic but your ports may change

We are also waiting this out. PIF was a few weeks ago. At this point going to minimize my losses the best I can. If the Magic does not reposition, then I won't be taking my cruise (9 night Italy/Greece) and hopefully I will be due a refund. I can argue with Alitalia about refunds or vouchers. I may have to eat that. Everything else I can cancel. My kids- who are college age, want to ride this out to the end. I am nervous, worried, but will go along for the ride. We are in good health and I am not worried about contracting this virus. DCL would not be the only ships effected and the whole industry would be crushed. I can't fathom this, but I am sure it can happen. We shall see what will be . Maybe we won't see Greece, but something else in Europe? It is going to be interesting and it is not for the faint of heart-which I am. I remain hopeful that by the end of March, while the virus will be here and everywhere, that there will be a different approach, if possible, in managing how we all deal with this moving forward.

Number of confirmed cases in Germany doubled from saturday to sunday, going from 66 to 129 in one day.
Number of confirmed cases in France is 130 as of today.
Number of confirmed cases in Italy is 1,694 (death toll up to 34, from 29 the previous day).

I think there is a decent chance that they won't take the Magic overseas at all this year. Is it likely? Only time will tell, but having an incident like Princess had isn't something they want either. Don't forget that the monetary hit from something like that would be far worse than just repositioning the ship in FL. I don't mean to sound all alarmist and I am booked on the Magic this summer, so of course I'm hoping for the best, but this is definitely on my mind.

I think there is a decent chance that they won't take the Magic overseas at all this year. Is it likely? Only time will tell, but having an incident like Princess had isn't something they want either. Don't forget that the monetary hit from something like that would be far worse than just repositioning the ship in FL. I don't mean to sound all alarmist and I am booked on the Magic this summer, so of course I'm hoping for the best, but this is definitely on my mind.

Re-scheduling a ship such a short time ahead would be near to impossible. And if DCL would take such measure, it wouldn't be the only line. There would probably be a shortage of ports around the world.

DW is afraid this could happen, as we are also booked on the Magic. I do not want to be overly confident at this point but I still believe most cruises will take sail as expected, albeit with minor port changes along the way.

Re-scheduling a ship such a short time ahead would be near to impossible. And if DCL would take such measure, it wouldn't be the only line. There would probably be a shortage of ports around the world.

DW is afraid this could happen, as we are also booked on the Magic. I do not want to be overly confident at this point but I still believe most cruises will take sail as expected, albeit with minor port changes along the way.

I totally agree. I'm not canceling, but I think it's reasonable that it might happen. I also think if it does it won't be just DCL who does this. Let's hope for the best.

Especially if ports are wary of letting ships with sick (cold/ flu) passengers port. Lots of sailings to nowhere?

We're scheduled to sail in early June from Barcelona to Rome. Then we were going to travel from there to Disneyworld Paris.

Starting to get worried about what's going to happen. I sure wouldn't want to get trapped in Europe for an extended period. We paid it all in full before anyone ever heard about the virus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter