Coronavirus and hand washing, security checks

Most of the germs on your hands don’t survive there very long (obviously no idea on Coronavirus at this stage) so the MOST important part is don’t touch your face! And don’t touch your food! I will cut up my burger and pick up my French fries with a fork when in the parks. Mostly, I just order food that I don’t have to eat with my fingers. I’m not the type to be walking around with a popcorn bucket around my neck and snacking in lines. Yuck.

Water from the faucet should not be running over your hands all during the 20 plus seconds you are rubbing your fingers together with soap.

A paper towel and alcohol will sanitize the briefcase or purse handle to cut down on re-contaminating your hand after you washed the latter.

A habit I got into since my last trip to Japan- a clean dry handkerchief in my front pocket is nice for drying my thoroughly washed hands.

And Disneyland is busy enough that I can usually wait for someone else to open the door (or it's a bathroom with no door, which is also nice).

In a pinch I'll take extra toilet paper out to the sink with me.

When I first opened this I saw Disneyland not World. *Most* of the taps and paper towel dispensers in DLR/DCA have motion detector sensors. No touching, you just wave. Is this not a thing in WDW? Also, most of the restrooms are open style, no doors to open.

When faced with a faucet I need to touch I use my elbow, a place unlikely to touch my face and the paper towel I used to dry my hands to open the door if needed.

Yes the faucets are motion sensor and most of the restrooms in the parks are open entry.

I have an upcoming trip May 1. I visit Disneyworld at least three times a year and know the park very well. Certainly, it is kept very clean and that is one of the main reasons we love the park and continue to return several time a year from Texas. I am concerned that we are told the best measures against coronavirus are frequent hand washing. Is anyone else concerned that most bathrooms do not have hot water and that you barely get a trickle of water out of the spouts and it only lasts for a few seconds, not the 20 seconds that is recommended?
Doesn't matter if the water is hot or cold. Wash your hands with soap and water....for at LEAST 20 seconds. Oh, and use "jazz hands" when cleansing. I only use hand sanitizer if soap and water isn't readily available.

BTW...is there any info as to how Disney is handling bag checks?

Last edited:
Despite the obvious “you’re getting exposed at least a hundred other ways” response....

I’ve always hated security check for this reason. One trip, I’m pretty sure the person in front of me had a fever and stomach virus. They were carrying a wet wash cloth and ziplock baggies and looked like death. I almost cried.
My solution is simply to go bagless whenever possible.
Tie your jacket around your waist if you really really need one.
water bottle and sanitizer clip on your belt loop
Phone in your pocket
I have a wrist wallet for cards / ID.
If you really need it, a small tube of sunscreen in your pocket
What else do you need unless you have babies / stroller? If so, I’m gonna go with the “you’re getting exposed plenty of different ways anyway response.

Hot water isn’t necessary. Do the best you can and follow up with hand sanitizer after drying hands. Don’t touch your face.

If you have kids, they are touching handrails, touching their faces, etc no matter what. Its so hard to control this stuff.
Please don’t assume that the person in front of you in the bag check line with zipper bags and a wet washcloth has a contagious condition. Even if he or she does look like death.

I have MS with extreme heat intolerance (anything over 70 degrees). I’ve gone through the bag check line with a wet cloth in a zipper bag, some bottles of medicine in a ziplock bag, feeling and probably looking like hell. But it’s my hell and no one can catch it from me.

I am concerned that we are told the best measures against coronavirus are frequent hand washing. Is anyone else concerned that most bathrooms do not have hot water and that you barely get a trickle of water out of the spouts and it only lasts for a few seconds, not the 20 seconds that is recommended?

Handwashing is primarily effective due to mechanical action. Cold water is ok, but you want to get your hands wet and soapy, scrub for 20 seconds (getting between your fingers, around the nails, backs of your hands, palms, along all the fingers, etc, then rinse. You don't need a lot of water, or continuously running water.

A habit I got into since my last trip to Japan- a clean dry handkerchief in my front pocket is nice for drying my thoroughly washed hands.

And Disneyland is busy enough that I can usually wait for someone else to open the door (or it's a bathroom with no door, which is also nice).

In a pinch I'll take extra toilet paper out to the sink with me.
I've carried purse packs of Kleenex for years. I keep a couple of fresh tissues in an outside pocket on my bag. If there are no paper towels (or just a dryer) I use my clean tissue to dry my hands and open the door.

Last edited:
Concerned with bag check people rooting thru my bag after rooting thru other bags. Cross contamination is a real concern. It would be so much safer if they scanned bags like Universal Studios does. They tout safety, but I sure don’t see it here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter