Costco food court will require showing a membership card now

I'm fascinated by people who hold memberships for just home use- what do you buy? Where do you put it? I remember my dad having a card long ago, but we were only a family of 3 living in a small house so really there was no point buying anything in that large a quantity LOL

Uh, family of 4, let's see:
Vitamins
Toothpaste Mouthwash
Paper Towels
Sparkling water
Kerry gold Butter (SO cheap here)
Naked Green Machine Smoothie ($5 for a huge bottle)
Strawberries
Cucumbers
Rotisserie Chicken
Naan Bread minis
Pineapples ($3 each for huge ones)
Batteries
Foil
Clorox Wipes
Dow Scubbing Bubbles
Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Swifter duster refills
Chocolate milk boxes
Protein Bars
Almonds
Bacon
Clothing (lots of Adidas for the kids and workout clothes mostly for me)
Small appliances (just got a toaster)
TVs
Vacuums
Baked goods in the bakery (bread, cookies, cakes when needed, etc)
Vacuum sealed meats (ground beef, chicken breast)
Cheese

There's more. We buy a ton of things there. Most things aren't in huge, bulk sizes. They are just better priced than anywhere else per unit. I buy all appliances and electronics there because they have the best return policy ever.

Also, the produce is the best quality.

Hearing aides are about half the price at Costco. That is what made us buy a membership. Always hit Costco before holidays and parties for food.

Oh yes, you reminded me...glasses! Literally 1/4 the price our optometrist was charging for designer frames with transitions lenses.

If you have pets that are on any prescription drug, get it at Costco! Heartworm medication is a lot cheaper as is many other of the drugs. If they don't have something for your pet there, the pharmacy may be able to get it. When our dogs were undergoing chemo, we bought much of the non-chemo drugs they needed at Costco. We also buy their dog food there.

It's much cheaper for me to buy supplies for my classroom at Costco, such as Clorox Wipes, pencils, and Kleenex.

We only rent our cars through Costco because its always the cheapest and you get the second driver for free.

Just purchased a new Dell computer there. Standard Dell warranty is 12 months. Costco standard warranty on computers is 24 months. Using Costco CC gives you 48 months. Had I purchased direct from Dell, price was $450 more and 4 year warranty would have been additional $220, so $670 better.

Can not beat in season produce quality and prices.

My firefighter son is like a Food Channel gourmet chef. He buys all his meats from Costco. He loves the quality and the price.

As said above, car rentals are great, giving, I think, 4 different rental companies and indicating best price at each size car category.

I haven't then again I'm buying Kirkland brand.

When you compare costs you also need to make sure you're comparing ply count, roll count combined with ply count combined with how many sheets in each roll, sheet count on paper towels and quantity. Just comparing costs won't do it

I've never seen toilet paper cheaper than the Kirkland brand, when you compare how much is in each roll. Sure, you can find a "per roll" price that is cheaper, but even "large rolls" from the grocery store do not have as much toilet paper as the Kirkland rolls. And, it's really NICE toilet paper. It's a strong preference among my family members. My son asks for to be brought to his tiny studio condo and even he has room for it. My daughter has us bring it down to her apartment too.

I think it's a myth that if you are a small family it doesn't make sense to shop at Costco. We shop there 2-3 times per month, and it's just my husband and I now. We buy coffee (the Starbucks packaged for Kirkland), which is often on sale, and typically costs us $5.19 a pound....WAY cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. We use a 2.5 pound package in just over 2 weeks. Gallon of milk at the best price (our store sells single gallons). Eggs (2 dozen), which we easily use with just the two of us (I bake, DH loves them hard boiled or scrambled for breakfast). Flour (best price by a mile, and it's organic....a little less than I'd pay for "conventional" flour in a regular store). Greek yogurt...$2-3 cheaper than the grocery store per container, and just as good. I eat it for breakfast every morning, and a large carton lasts me less than a week. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola. At least 30% less in cost than the grocery store, and often more than that because it goes on sale. We also buy tires for our cars, gas for the cars, and numerous articles of clothing (which are sold typically as single items...same as any other store), socks (DH LOVES the kirkland sweat socks...they are really high quality. Some of this stuff you can technically buy "cheaper" but not for the QUALITY. As others have mentioned, rental cars are a really great deal most of the time, and their travel prices are generally quite good. I found the lowest price on hotel in Cozumel through Costco not even counting that they included a costco cash card worth almost $500. Then, the cherry on top os that my membership (executive) pays for itself in my rebate. And, the credit card they offer is THE best for cash rebates. Roughly $1000 a year is what I get. Nothing to sneeze at that's for sure.

Another +++ for Costco is that my store has had many of the same employees for the entire 14 years I've been shopping there. That is just not something you see in retail. And, their checkers are great...fast and accurate. Never had an issue with them. Ever. Cannot say the same for certain other retail stores. Their employees are well paid (for retail) with GOOD health insurance benefits. They have a loyal workforce, which leads to a better experience as a customer.

My firefighter son is like a Food Channel gourmet chef.
Just FYI, ALL firefighters are gourmet chefs. No really, they are!

You will never eat better than at your local firehouse -- for breakfast or dinner. They usually either are busy or eat out for lunch.

My buddy Rob makes the most amazing Churrasco Salad, and any breakfast at a firehouse is just off the charts.

Oh yes, you reminded me...glasses! Literally 1/4 the price our optometrist was charging for designer frames with transitions lenses.

How could I forget glasses? I get mine for a total price at Costco that is $100 per paid BETTER than my "insured" price through DH's work. And, they stand behind them. No reason to go anywhere else for your eyeglasses.

I'm fascinated by people who hold memberships for just home use- what do you buy?
Not a member of Costco, but Sam's Club.

When we bought our membership, it actually wasn't Sam's Club at that time it was a big box store called PACE. They got bought by Sam's Club after a few years. We got a membership because with 3 young kids and a husband who all drank milk, we saved money just buying milk there (usually 3-4 gallons a week, but, on occasion, 5 gallons).

Anything else we bought was extra bonus.

Now that the kids are grown, I'm mostly buying for just 2 of us, but our sons are still at home. The staples we buy:
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Kleenex
Milk
Hawaiian Rolls
Canned corn
Bologna
Crackers (soda and Ritz)
Oreos
Bananas
Hamburger

We also got special event cakes from the bakery over the years.

I, also, recently got new glasses. Besides the better price than I could find anywhere else, I was able to get a special Buy one/Get one free deal (optician said I have a small head, so I could wear youth size glasses).

We also got special event cakes from the bakery over the years.
I forgot to mention the sheet cakes? Half sheet cake is about $20 compared to $65-70 at the local bakery. And much better tasting.

Around here, if you are at a party and comment on how great the cake is, the host/ess will almost always respond it is from Costco.

I forgot to mention the sheet cakes? Half sheet cake is about $20 compared to $65-70 at the local bakery. And much better tasting.

Around here, if you are at a party and comment on how great the cake is, the host/ess will almost always respond it is from Costco.

Yes!!! Costco sheet cakes are the best. We aren't Costco members because Sam's Club is literally around the corner from our house, so we go there, but if I need a cake for anything, I have my mom, who is a Costco member, take me to order a cake.

Our Costco always has a trickle of people coming through the exit door for the food court. There are times where it's really difficult to get out of the store due to this, especially when the after church crowd hits. So I can see this being a valid reason to begin enforcing it. You not only clog up the exit doors, but create a huge line for the food counter and have no seating available. I'd be curious to find out how many of those eating in the food court are non-members?

Costco cakes are the best! In fact, there's half a sheet cake in my fridge right now. I paid $20 for it and the size, quality, and taste in leaps and bounds beyond what Kroger, Sam's, or Walmart offers. Yes you're limited by the design but that's ok.

Our Costco always has a trickle of people coming through the exit door for the food court. There are times where it's really difficult to get out of the store due to this, especially when the after church crowd hits. So I can see this being a valid reason to begin enforcing it. You not only clog up the exit doors, but create a huge line for the food counter and have no seating available. I'd be curious to find out how many of those eating in the food court are non-members?
In all honesty I don't see how what you're talking about is related to enforcement of members in food courts? Those people you see could all 100% be members every single time. There's no rule that you can't go into the food court as a member, eat and then leave without going elsewhere in the store.

Plus people who go through the exit to return their items--in our stores you do that at the membership desk just at a certain spot. TBH unfortunately that creates a mass of people there that would far more interfere with the exit than anyone going in to just eat at the food court. Plus people who go into Costco but don't end up buying anything--they leave through the exit but need to maneuver around the folks leaving with their carts.

No seating available is an issue simply because they only have a finite amount of space and a finite amount of tables. I've seen so many times people going through the checkouts and going to the food courts--generally speaking those are going to be members (aside from those shopping with Costco Shop Cards who were given those as gifts). If I can't find a table at lunch or dinner rush it's just the breaks of ball game. Unless a store finds the majority of people eating at a food court all the time are non-members it's probably not going to do anything significant to increase availability of tables IMO.

Places like Costco and Wal mart is what put so many small businesses out of business and made some parts of town ghost towns. That’s not always for the best.

Hearing aides are about half the price at Costco. That is what made us buy a membership. Always hit Costco before holidays and parties for food.
Wow, i had no idea they had hearing aids at Costco! Good to know!

Good to know. If the time comes for me to get glasses, i will definitely go to Costco. :)

Places like Costco and Wal mart is what put so many small businesses out of business and made some parts of town ghost towns. That’s not always for the best.
Honestly, too bad. Retail is competitive. What can you do. If im on a budget and need a cheaper cake, im getting it at Costco! No way would i go to a bakery and pay $60+.

I don't see how that's the case at least on a significant level for most places especially given the products sold not to mention small businesses often benefit from Costco in terms of bulk materials at probably decent to very good pricing that they may not be able to get straight from a supplier.

Most of the time when I see small businesses, especially dessert places in my area, it's the level of service and quality of food that often axes the business. For whatever reason dessert places are hard to come by--Perkins (of which there is only 1 location anywhere near me now after 2 closed down) is like the only place to get pie. You have places like Cheesecake Factory that are good for dessert. Stand alone places just don't last very long. We love to try new places out but we often find the service sucks, the people are unprofessional, the hours aren't good, and the quality is so so.

Yogurt and smoothie places were a dime a dozen a few years ago and often suffered from fads that decline in popularity rapidly (like Orange Leaf style places).

Also you might take a look at Costco's documentary from a couple years ago (probably longer can't remember when it came out). It's where they go over just what items they will sell for their Christmas seasons. It's highly competitive but they really do seem to care about smaller businesses just like they do bigger ones. I remember them going over a teddy bear backpack and working with the company in the design about the placement of the straps, the materials of the teddy bear, etc.

I buy gas weekly and meat for the freezer about once a month. We live on their flash frozen chicken tenders and their individually frozen portions of salmon. Glasses, hearing aid batteries, over the counter medications and vitamins. Stamps and gift cards.

I try hard not to impulse buy there, but like to look around to see what they have for future reference. I only go in once a month unless I have company coming or a party to buy for. I like to buy a premade meal to make for dinner that night while I'm there. We enjoy their meatloaf dinner. It's not the kind of thing I ever make otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter