Couple passes on Castle stay

MOQu

Disney Fanatic
Not sure if this has been posted yet because we just got home. Last Wednesday we were trading pins with a Dream Team cast member and learned that that day the Castle stay was awarded to an older couple at Epcot who REFUSED the prize! They were DVC members and didn't want to move their stuff! Of course the cast members tried to get them to understand that there was a 24 hour concierge who would have gotten them anything they needed, but they still passed!

I've thought about this. I'll be going on a solo trip in May and I really think if I was awarded the stay in the castle that I'd pass it on to a family. I just can't see me staying solo in there and I'd love to know a family got to share the experience instead.

I've thought about this. I'll be going on a solo trip in May and I really think if I was awarded the stay in the castle that I'd pass it on to a family. I just can't see me staying solo in there and I'd love to know a family got to share the experience instead.

That's so nice of you. :hug:

my first reaction when i read the title of this thread was "SHUT UP!" :scared1: jokingly of course!! Here's what.... if I was offered the stay in the castle, you would have to shove me out the door in the morning. I would want to move in permanently! I can't believe that someone didn't want to stay there, but to each his own. I hope the people that received it after them were very excited! :yay:

I'm not positive, but I believe that if someone passes on an award it MIGHT NOT be awarded again. The only "family" you'd be helping out is corporate Disney. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :cutie:

The official rules state:
"If a selected participant in a Disney Property chooses not to accept a prize, the prize may be randomly awarded again to an alternate winner, time permitting and at Sponsor's discretion."

well if you win you can come track me down and I know my family will love you for life.:love:

I can't believe this either, but hey, if they passed they didn't deserve it anyway (guess they wouldn't appreciate the true magic of it)- sorry just my oppinion. I truly hope that another family was picked, how awful for that beautiful castle to go to waste for a night. I am SOOOO hoping and dreaming we would by some miracle be picked for this.
Lesley

They must smoking you know what! How could someone pass on the castle :confused: , that is just crazy. I guess like so many of you said guess they wouldn't have appreciated it. But if they own DVC they must at least like going to Disney .:confused3

I can't believe this either, but hey, if they passed they didn't deserve it anyway (guess they wouldn't appreciate the true magic of it)- sorry just my oppinion. I truly hope that another family was picked, how awful for that beautiful castle to go to waste for a night. I am SOOOO hoping and dreaming we would by some miracle be picked for this.
Lesley

I did not realise they were making the selections based on who deserved it!

Let me tell you that if it's offered to me and my family when we go, I don't care if we would have to carry our own luggage, we will not pass that up!

Please don't think they're crazy because they turned down a stay in the castle. We have no idea what the circumstances are. There might be some health issues involved, or perhaps they just wanted a family with young children to have the stay instead. Also, we don't know if this is even true. I'm not saying the OP did not hear this from a CM, I'm just saying that sometimes even CM's have information that isn't always correct.

As far as them deserving it or not, perhaps them turning it down was done in true Disney spirit. :goodvibes

If you turn it down - they will still try to award it up to a time - BUT I don't think you having refused it gives you any say in who gets it - so its feasible that a couple could turn it down because they want a family to get it and the next person randomly selected (by computer) is another couple or a single and they say yes.

I know I would say yes to the Castle as part of a couple.

Liz

We have no kids and if we won, we would definitely be staying there.

Personally, I feel like we get passed over all the time for things because we don't have children and I just don't think that's fair either. Just because we don't have children of our own doesn't mean I'm not part of a family. I do appreciate that Disney is granting dreams to everyone, regardless of the size of their family.

It could also be that they didn't know anything about it. What if some random cast member- not dressed like you've seen cast members on previous trips- came up to you with a wild story that sounds unbelievable "What do you mean, we can stay in the castle? What is he drinking?" If you aren't aware the prize exists, then it does sound quite a bit crazy.
Just giving the benefit of the doubt :)

We have no kids and if we won, we would definitely be staying there.

Personally, I feel like we get passed over all the time for things because we don't have children and I just don't think that's fair either. Just because we don't have children of our own doesn't mean I'm not part of a family. I do appreciate that Disney is granting dreams to everyone, regardless of the size of their family.

Sometimes I feel this way too, even though I know that things like YOAMD prizes are (the bigs ones, anyway) most likely picked at random by a computer. But when DBF and I were there in December, we saw about 5 families, all with children, get awarded Dream Fastpasses and we didn't get anything in the whole 9 days we were there. Now don't get me wrong, we weren't expecting anything and we don't feel ripped off or jipped because we didn't win anything, but the awards handed out by CM's do seem to only go to the families with kids. Now, back to the people who gave up the night in the castle....Since they were DVC members and I don't really know how DVC works (at least not well enough to pass judgement), is it possible that maybe they opted out of the night in the castle because they would lose the points they used for their resort for that night? Who knows....to each their own. :thumbsup2

Wow! I wouldn't turn it down, but I'm sure they had their reasons.

We're going in December with 2 other families and, of course, we've joked about what we'd do if a member of our party was selected. I said "Women and children first!" (DH didn't think that was too funny!) But we have 7 'girls' in our group (4 are kids) and one Dad that's as nuts about WDW as I am! :rolleyes1 Oh well, like we really think we'll be selected... but... one can never be too be prepared!

Sometimes I feel this way too, even though I know that things like YOAMD prizes are (the bigs ones, anyway) are most likely picked at random by a computer. But when DBF and I were there in December, we saw about 5 families, all with children, get awarded Dream Fastpasses and we didn't get anything in the whole 9 days we were there. Now don't get me wrong, we were expecting anything and we don't feel ripped off or jipped because we didn't win anything, but the awards handed out by CM's do seem to only go to the families with kids. Now, back to the people who gave up the night in the castle....Since they were DVC members and I don't really know how DVC works (at least not well enough to pass judgement), is it possible that maybe they opted out of the night in the castle because they would lose the points they used for their resort for that night? Who knows....to each their own. :thumbsup2

That's so funny because I kept thinking when we were there that they were only giving that stuff out to couples!:cutie: I think we only saw one family that had the dream fast passes and tons of couples! Oh well, let's hope we all get a little magic.:love:

If you won, would you have to move all your stuff to the castle for just one night? I mean, I'll be there for 17 days in September, which means I'm taking a LOT of stuff with me. I wouldn't want to have to clear out my room for the night and figure out what to do with all the food (I'm in a DVC also), and all that. If I could just grab my pajamas and go, that would be cool - and just leave my stuff in the room until I get back. After all, I'm paying to stay there, so no one else should be in the room.

As if we are going to win. Ha! Of course, I would love it!

What if you are staying on property or off? Do you get reimbursed for your hotel for the night you are not staying in it? I doubt it. So you are already paying for your room that night. It would cost you x amount of money.

Don't forget, you will need to pay taxes on the prize you won, if you accept it. So, in a way, you will be paying to stay in the castle on top of what you are paying for your current hotel. What if you have ADR's for that evening that are prepaid? Can you cancel your evening plans without being charged? It is less than 24 hours til your ADR or event you have scheduled for the evening. If so, can Disney reschedule it for another evening during your trip. What if it is something you really want to do while you are there. You may miss out on doing your "dream" to spend the night in the castle.

Trying to go thru all the scenarios, we think we would stay there as it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. But it would throw a kink in the schedule and you might be out more than you think.

It may be worth it to one person but not to another.

But, of course, it my heart of hearts, it would be a dream come true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter